#41 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

That Joker quote is simplified, I think. I think snapping takes time. It takes building blocks of BS, unless you are perhaps close to mental impairment already. Before anybody jumps down my throat, know that I'm trying to be objective. Evolutionists would say that morality evolves over time and historical changes. Perhaps we are entering a point where we are numbing to madness. Most of the people in the theater admitted they thought it was part of the movie. The normal fear of their own safety was turned off. Tha fear that causes you to tuck your purse close, lock your doors, look both ways. Is a theater any more safe than another place?

Sure a movie is fake and we can watch a person get mutilated without flinching because it's not real, but how long before that crosses over? I think the killer crossed over. He reached the point where he has turned something off. Perhaps this is a sign of the times. A bit scary considering, as Sirmethos put it, the commonality of it.

#42 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

I think we tend to see evolution as alwas being good. It sounds good. We are evolving, but look at what evolution is...adapting to your environment. Our environment is F'd.

#43 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Warner Bros. Pictures says it has canceled appearances by the cast and filmmakers of the movie "The Dark Knight Rises" in Mexico and Japan after a shooter killed 12 people and injured at least 50 Friday in a Colorado theater during a midnight premiere of the newest Batman movie.
The studio says actors Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gordon Levitt will no longer hold press or red carpet events on Monday at Mexico City's National Auditorium.

Premiere events in Paris were also canceled Friday.

The studio said it would continue with screenings for special guests and promotion winners so as not to disappoint fans.

Source: http://news.yahoo.co...-160306724.html

I honestly do not know what to say about this. Really, not only has this man caused the deaths of so many innocent people but he has caught the shock and attention of the film industry, and what was supposed to be one of the most anticipated films of the summer now has been associated with this tragedy. Whatever this guy sought out to do, definitely had a chain reaction and what that is going to lead to, I am completely unsure of but am just downright apalled at. Really, it's something very sickening to see someone actually pull something off worse than the Valentine's Day Massacre.

Some people say that this guy was a derranged Batman fan, I don't believe that. Yes, I know people have said that he had dressed up as Bane, dyed his hair red and proclaimed himself to be the Joker but saying that he is a derranged Batman fan is a load of bullshit to me. No, to me this guy had a lot of problems and was unable to cope with them. And he took his frustrations out on innocent people out there, and perhaps the film industry and Warner Brothers as well.

This is just... I don't know how else to word this. I really don't.

This man has ruined what was supposed to be a joyous premier not only for Batman fans but perhaps everyone the world all over just because of something very cowardly and stupid he had done.

I don't know how else to really word this, or even say it... All I can say is that my sympathies go out to the dearly departed and their families.

-Rakai'Thwei

#44 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

One thing people need to stop saying is "people die everyday why are these Americans so special", just because more people are dieing in somewhere like Syria, doesn't mean people can't be sad about this shooting. I can't stand that type of logic. "You can't be sad about losing an arm! That guy over there lost all of his limbs!"

#45 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Pretty weird this tragedy happens a week before the UN gun ban.

This level of sheer stupidity makes me extremely angry.

Also, Treach what are you even trying to say? If he has his sense of morality turned off, then yes, he is obviously insane. Not having that moral check is a clear sign of insanity.

Evolution says that humans evolved morality to retain a social tribe structure. It's kinda hard to work together to gather food if everyone keeps killing each other. How does this translate into what you're saying?

#46 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

I don't think so, force. Having no morality doesn't make a man insane. It makes him immoral. Immoral is not insane.

#47 Darxeth

Darxeth

Nuking the site from orbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:38 AM

Force, don't get angry. We're all friends here.

#48 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:49 AM

I do think torture/retribution wouldn't serve any useful purpose, but understanding the shooter's means and motives can help construct a better model for red flag behaviors in individuals.

#49 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

‎6,000 bullets over 2 months means 100 bullets a day. Why not make an internet database that stores information about weapon-related purchases. So then, if someone wants to buy, say an assault rifle, a shotgun, and two pistols over a relatively short amount of time, it will raise a red flag. Programs that store purchase histories of known offenders can see if gun purchases fit a pattern. Algorithms can prioritize high danger individuals and allocate police resources efficiently. This is 2013, this type of thing shouldn't be happening anymore. Thanks to technology, the 2nd Amendment and safety don't have to be mutually exclusive. Where is technology? Where is the future?

#50 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

Also, Treach what are you even trying to say? If he has his sense of morality turned off, then yes, he is obviously insane. Not having that moral check is a clear sign of insanity.

Evolution says that humans evolved morality to retain a social tribe structure. It's kinda hard to work together to gather food if everyone keeps killing each other. How does this translate into what you're saying?

What I'm saying is that you're speaking from a very emotionally charged viewpoint. You're understandably angry. Perhaps immorality is insane, but that's not my argument. My argument is that the social barometer for what classifies morality may be slowly sliding towards the end that has people thinking that shooting a room full of people is okay. Again, we adapt to our environment and our environment is slowly desensitizing to violence. No?

#51 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

This level of over reaction is funny. What is so stupid about saying that? All I said was there is a gun ban next week and it's weird that this happened before it. Maybe he is sending a message about it?

#52 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

Let's look at Lord of the Flies, Force. If chaos is the surrounding environment, then who's to tell the chaotic people it is wrong? Again, media may play a part. I know a lot of regular people that blur reality with fiction or wish they could. How long does it take some normal people to realize wrestling is fake.

Like Ivan said, they need to look at this man's surroundings. Alas, his surroundings are currently booby trapped.

#53 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

He wasn't insane. He was a terrorist. Simple. He deserves to be in prison for the rest of his life.

#54 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

This level of over reaction is funny. What is so stupid about saying that? All I said was there is a gun ban next week and it's weird that this happened before it. Maybe he is sending a message about it?

I'll bet my life savings that there is 0 connection between the two.

#55 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:26 PM

Last rant to hone my point and I'm gone. They really need to look at what this guy was surrounded by. Are you insane if you are subjected to an insane lifestyle your entire life? A hostile urban lifestyle? A child soldier? Are they insane? If you don't know any different, then...

We evolve to survive our environments.

Not saying he didn't know, but what was this guy's background.

#56 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

I'll bet my life savings that there is 0 connection between the two.

I never said there definitely was, just a possibility of it. He's calling himself the Joker even though he dyed his hair red. There is 0 connection between red hair and the Joker. I guess we won't know what goes through his head. Just stated it's weird that this happened now. Never meant to imply anything.

#57 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

This picture might not be TIME's picture of the year or whatever, it might not be a famous picture depicting pure horror and despair, it still depicts something terrible. This picture haunts me.

http://news.yahoo.co...-171008119.html

#58 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

Get this crayon outta my nostril, PLEASE!

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 4,552 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff... And fighting evil.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 02:03 AM

I think Ivan got it right. We weren't meant to handle such tragedies. We do get into our comfort zones.

And all anyone can really do, in a world where tragedy can strike at anytime at anywhere, is be thankful for those happy moments they have. Because you know, life isn't guaranteed. So be thankful for it. And not to get too preachy, but be thankful for other people in your life too. So, yeah. I know a lot of people who went to the midnight show (some on this site) and I'm glad to hear they made it out okay. That it wasn't MY local theatre, or MY family members.

Anyways, that's all I can really say on the subject. Mindless murder sucks. Hope those wounded recover and the families of those who lost someone can find some sort of peace.

#59 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:14 PM

One of my college coaches is on Facebook. Great guy, funny, loving guy. All he does on Facebook is share photos though. His past few photos have been related to looser gun laws and politicizing the Colorado rampage. It's pissing me off. It's the same god damn weekend and some people are already turning it into politics. What the fuck is wrong with people? Seriously.

It's already been made into a Condescending Wonka meme. What the fuck.

#60 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

One of my college coaches is on Facebook. Great guy, funny, loving guy. All he does on Facebook is share photos though. His past few photos have been related to looser gun laws and politicizing the Colorado rampage. It's pissing me off. It's the same god damn weekend and some people are already turning it into politics. What the fuck is wrong with people? Seriously.

It's already been made into a Condescending Wonka meme. What the fuck.

Forget the weekend, the day it happened mainstream media was talking about the politics of it.

Are you surprised that there are assholes on the web? The people making jokes about it are the same ones who think the USA isn't allowed to be sad about that or 9/11 because there are worse things happening in the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users