#1 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

This is what I posted on facebook earlier:

I'm confounded by the diverse and bizarre reactions to the Colorado tragedy that I'm reading on facebook. There are lots of prayers, but a lot of sanctimony, too. Didactic preaching from both ends of the political spectrum. Lots of anger directed at things some individual was already angry about, turning this into another excuse to rant about a pet cause. Lots of sad attempts at irony and bleak humor, too- people using snark and sarcasm out of insecurity to distance themselves from the tragedy, because *vulgarity*, that could've easily been any one of us who has ever attended a midnight showing, and we really don't want to think about it. I'm not immune- plenty of people are quick to build the meta-conversation as well, because addressing other people's reactions is just another way to artificially create distance.
I don't think there is a wholly appropriate reaction- people aren't mentally wired to deal with this kind of tragedy in any real way, so we just do the best we can, and often that means defaulting to our comfort zones.

I do think it's important to try and have a discussion here.

I feel betrayed. I feel angry and unsafe. I feel like there is no immediate action I can take that would make the world any better, right now.

I dunno. I guess posting here is a stab at feeling normal. I expect that this thread will quickly become flooded with stupidity, with gun nuts, crybabies, and hipsters. I expect a certain well-known poster to make the same tasteless, unfunny jokes he always makes. I hope, however, that none of that happens, and that we can have an actual conversation. Maybe.

#2 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

To be honest, the news really scared me. It shocked me out of that place where I normally feel like the world is a good place wherein people are safe. There's no reason that those people died and I didn't. And it's not like a natural disaster where there are weather patterns or fault lines that indicate where it does and does not happen. This was just a guy.

Those people in the theater. They were just fans interested to see a good movie. I know it's pretty silly, but I was actually too scared to go see the movie today. I might catch it on Monday.

#3 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:17 PM

The part that really blew my mind was how the killer claimed he was the Joker. People actually exist that want to see this world burn. He killed those people for no reason. No reason at all.

#4 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

I have been watching the news and hearing the radio, set to KYW1060 AM. Just hearing about this kind of thing affects everyone, and hearing about how this was premeditated for months and how this man had actually gotten a hold of these weapons... just boggles my mind.

Really, this is something completely unheard of. Yes, there is violence in the world and yes we do know that people kill one another out in the streets. But this is something premeditated on a level that it's no coincidence, and the fact that the guy had been carrying an AR-15 with a mag capable of holding a hundred rounds suggest that he was willing to go for a high body count.

Right now my question in my mind is.... Why this particular date? Why this particular movie?

-Rakai'Thwei

#5 Darxeth

Darxeth

Nuking the site from orbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

I've been thinking about this all day, and I still can't find the words to accurately explain how I feel. I mean, as Surfer said, he did it for no reason, at least, not that we know of. What kind of person does that?

I used to have an optimistic opinion about people in general; I used to think that no one could truly be that.. demented? (For lack of a better word) I just don't know.

I might not have been at the site of the shooting, but I'm feeling this on a personal level.

#6 Darxeth

Darxeth

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:20 PM

Also, moments before the shooting, one of the trailers showing was a guy shooting up a movie theater. (At least, that's what I read)

#7 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

They're supposed to pass laws banning costumes allowed into movie theaters. Murders usually have a motive. I can't really think of one that doesn't. Unabomber had a vision of a different world, Virginia Tech guy wanted some sort of class warfare, Hitler thought the Jews ruined Germany. This guy was just bloodthirsty. Maybe they haven't found the motive, or maybe there was none. That makes this guy that much scarier. The photo that Yahoo News shows is him smiling. Kinda unsettling.

#8 comic_book_fan

comic_book_fan

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

his motive from all i can tell was that he wanted to be a villian when he was arrested he said he was the joker atleast thats what the article i read said .

#9 Darxeth

Darxeth

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:06 PM

Guys, don't you think that it was odd for him to claim to be the Joker if his hair was dyed red? Last I checked, Joker had green hair.

I'm not a psychiatrist or a detective or anything, but I think he wanted attention. I mean, he'd planned everything at least a few days in advance and listening to the witness reports saying he just sprayed everywhere leads be to believe he meant to kill as many people as he could as fast as he could with the arsenal of weapons he was packing; there's no question about it. Him rigging his apartment with explosives and telling the police about it (At least, this is what I've read) infers that maybe he possesses a narcissistic attitude; perhaps he wants applause for going to such great lengths to conduct this massacre.. but as I said before, I'm not and expert and I could be wrong. If attention was what he wanted, he sure did get it in one of the worst possible ways..

#10 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

With him saying he was the Joker (I didn't read anything on dyed hair), I'm led to believe that he just wanted to kill people. The bombs at the apartment were meant to fuck with cops or kill even more people, who knows. Either way, this guy wanted to see people die.

#11 Darxeth

Darxeth

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

I agree. But for what purpose? (If any)

What seriously drives a person to do something like this?

#12 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

This shooting actually shocked and creeped me out. What's scary is where did he get all this dangerous weapons and equipment? The man even booby trapped his apartment. How does somebody decide one day I am gone get up one day and go kill people for no reason.
This just once again proves their are evil people in this world.

Pseudonym you probably aren't the only person who will hold off on seeing the Dark Knight Rises.

#13 Darxeth

Darxeth

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:21 PM

"Speaking on behalf of the cast and crew of The Dark Knight Rises, I would like to express our profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy that has befallen the entire Aurora community.

I would not presume to know anything about the victims of the shooting but that they were there last night to watch a movie. I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime.

The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me.

Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families."

- Christopher Nolan

It's nice to know that Mr. Nolan is addressing this.

#14 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

The guy was going to an honors college, he was about to go into a PhD program.

#15 Darxeth

Darxeth

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

I know, but he dropped out.

#16 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

No one could have predicted it, heck I heard one guy had a beer with the shooter a few days before that and he didn't seem all that bad, just quiet. Guess you can never tell with some folks.

#17 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

The guy was going to an honors college, he was about to go into a PhD program.

The Unabomber was much more accomplished and did terrible things as well.

#18 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

What surprises me the most, is that people actually seem to be surprised about it -.-

It's only been 5 years since the Virginia Tech. shooting. These things happen semi-regularly, it was just a matter of time.

It's horrible, yes. Tragic, most definitely. People getting slaughtered always is. But Shocking? A surprise? Hell no.

#19 ThePhenomenalOne

ThePhenomenalOne

Way too drunk to care

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Doing butt naked cartwheels

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

12 people murdered and 50 so wounded while watching a movie is shocking no matter what. Saying it isn't is honestly stupid. You're a very smart man Methos, but when it comes to subjects like this, you're stupid. How do you honestly not see this as shocking? Do you want a debate that bad? I'm sorry but you actually pissed me off with this remark. 12 people going to see a movie will never get to see their loved ones because of some psychotic serial killer and that's not shocking? If it were people you knew, would it be shocking then?

#20 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

What surprises me the most, is that people actually seem to be surprised about it -.-

It's only been 5 years since the Virginia Tech. shooting. These things happen semi-regularly, it was just a matter of time.

It's horrible, yes. Tragic, most definitely. People getting slaughtered always is. But Shocking? A surprise? Hell no.

Just because they happen semi-regularly gives us no reason to be any less appalled. Tragedies such as these will always be shocking, for there will never be a good reason for them to happen. Senseless killings will forever be shocking.

However, if you must have this point of view, here you go. http://www.theonion....28857/?ref=auto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users