#1 Peypeypeypey

Peypeypeypey

The truthiness will set you free

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:50 AM

Bang! Bang!

A loud sound slammed against the ceiling as Calvin’s mom stood impatiently in the kitchen, waiting for the familiar ping of the oven to signify that dinner was ready. She shrugged off the sound as Calvin being up to his usual antics, but couldn’t help but sigh at the thought of what he could be doing up there. Calvin’s antic were cute when he was six, always carrying around his favorite stuffed tiger and pretending he was saving the universe, or destroy it, but that was awhile ago.

“Honey,” she called to Calvin’s dad in the other room, “Could you see what Calvin’s up to?” Calvin’s dad replied with an inattentive “Uh-huh”, lazily sitting on the chair in the living room, invested in the article of the newspaper he was reading, and slowly began to fold the paper up, setting it on the chair. After a bit of stretching, he began to make his way up the stairs to see what his son was up to.

“Knock, knock...” Calvin’s dad said while simultaneously knocking on the door. There was a sudden silence on the other side of the door. After a moment, Calvin twisted the door open a crack, just enough to see that it was his dad knocking.

“What’s up?” Calvin asked, his voice clearly on its last limb before hitting puberty. He now stood a good 5’ 7’’, wearing a much lengthier version of his classic red striped shirt and long, black pants. It was easy to tell just by looking at him that he was around 13 years old. He had bits of acne beginning to show on his face, and just the slightest hint of a mustache beginning to sprout. Calvin slid the door open just enough to squeeze his body out, and shut it behind him, leaning against it as he addressed his dad.

“What’s going on in there, Calvin?” His dad asked, genuinely curious. Every other day it seemed like Calvin was doing something else wrong or getting into some other kind of trouble. Calvin merely shrugged his arms at the question.

“I dunno.” He deflected the question in the classic kid answer, “Just messing around.” Calvin’s dad ran a hand through his now graying hair.

“Don’t you think you’re getting a little old to be playing alone in your room?” He asked, getting no visible reaction out of his son.

“I’m not playing alone!” He protested, crossing his arms. “I have-”

“Hobbes, I know,” Calvin’s dad cut in. This wasn’t the first time they had had this conversation, and it likely wouldn’t be the last. “But aren’t there any other boys your age you can play with?”

Calvin answered with a simple “Nope” while shaking his head, and slowly crawled his hands along the door, twisted the handle, and slithered back into his room, peeking his head out to say “We’ll try to keep it down.” before closing and locking the door.

“Kids...” He muttered to himself, shaking his head and sighing as he made his way back down the stairs. He had just pulled the newspaper back up when Calvin’s mom called him.

“What’s he doing, honey?” She asked.

“He’s just playing with Hobbes...” He called into the other room, flicking the newspaper back open to the page he was reading before, muttering to himself “Like he always does...” Calvin’s mom supposed this was good news, at least he hadn’t broken anything this time, but she was still worried.

“Honey,” She called to her husband, distraught, “You don’t think Calvin’s strange, do you?” She peeked her head around the corner, her concerned eyes meeting with his. “I mean, you don’t think the other boys make fun of him, do you?”

“No...” Calvin’s dad replied distantly, putting down the newspaper to go to his wife, “I’m sure it’s just a phase that he’ll grow out of.”

“But it was a phase 6 years ago!” She raised her voice slightly, not angry, but more concerned. “I mean, is he ever going to grow up? He’s 13 now, and he never plays with the other boys!”

Calvin’s dad placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. “It’ll be okay.” He reassured her confidently. “He’s just a little different. He’ll grow out of it any day now. And besides, it’s not too late to get the Dachshund.” He joked, and she couldn’t help but smile.

“I think it might be now.” She said as a brief laugh escaped her lips.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calvin burst through the door to his room, slamming it behind him as quickly as he could. He panted frantically, it looked like he had been running all the way home from school, and he had a look of absolute terror on his face as he pushed his body up against the door to ensure it couldn’t be open.

Hobbes sat curled in a ball in the middle of the room, barely awake despite all the commotion. He poked his dreary eyes up to see what was going on and, seeing that it was Calvin, sat up , stretching out his legs while letting out a large yawn. After he had woken up, he slowly caught on to Calvin’s predicament.

“What’s wrong?” He asked, in between stretches and yawns, “Is Roselyn back?” Calvin, who at this point was practically barricading his door with whatever he could find, stopped dead in his tracks, his eyes darting angrily at his tiger.

“Don’t even joke about that!” He scolded as he began his work again. He moved so fast he was practically a blur, frantically trying to protect the door from some unseen adversary.

Hobbes stood up, finally awake, and fished for more information. “What is it, then?” Before Calvin could answer, he read a horrible sound. The kind of sound that could only mean bad news...

Ding-Dong.

The ringing ran throughout the entire house, piercing Calvin’s ears as the diabolical intentions behind them were clear. He was too late; she was here! He tore everything out of the way and burst through the door, bolting through the halls to get to the front door just as his mom got there.

“Mom! wait!” He ordered, but it was too late. She already opened the door. Calvin stood paralyzed as he was face to face with his mortal enemy: Susie Derkins. Susie had moved away years ago, when Calvin was 8, because her mom got a job offer in a different state, and Calvin was glad when she did, hoping never to have to put up with her again. But here she was.

She stood there are innocent, with her smile spreading across her entire face, and her stupid, flowery dress, but Calvin knew that behind that pleasant smile and girly outfit was an evil spirit bent on doing nothing but torturing Calvin for the rest of his life.

“Susie?” Calvin’s mom was surprised to see the pleasant young girl standing at the door. “You’re back?” She said in shock.

“Yeah!” She responded ecstatically. “My mom got a better job offer here, so we moved back here! I just wanted to see if-” She began, but the door slammed in her face, “Calvin was here...”

“Calvin! Why’d you do that?” His mom scolded.

“Uh...” He tried to think quickly, but he couldn’t find a good reason, so he stalled for time. “I think I’m sick...” He said with an accompanying cough, which failed to please his mom.

“Calvin, I think playing with Susie would be good for you!” Her speech seemed almost as though it were prepared, likely from all her conversations on the subject with his dad. “You need to start looking for some real friends!”

“Hobbes is real!” Calvin protested, but it was clear by her expression that his mom’s mind was made up. She opened the door again.

“Sorry about that, Susie. Calvin would love to go out and play,” She turned to Calvin and gave a menacing look, “Wouldn’t you?”

Calvin rolled his eyes and crossed his arms in front of his body. “I guess...” He got his shoes on and stomped out the door to meet the overhappy girl.

“It’s crazy to see you again!” She exclaimed, moving a bit closer to him to give him a hug, but Calvin raised one arm between them in protest. She sank back, losing a bit of the cheeriness in her smile. “How have you been?”

Calvin didn’t quite know what to make of Susie. They had never really been friends, or even really been able to tolerate each other, but now she was acting all buddy-buddy with him. He couldn’t figure out what her angle was. “I’m fine. What’re you doing here?” He decided to go with this for a while to see where it went.

“We were just getting moved back in, and I remembered that I had this...” She revealed her hand from behind her back which held a small, cartoony-looking stuffed tiger, much like Hobbes. Calvin quickly snatched up the animal.

“What are you doing with him?” He accused, greedily shielding the stuffed toy with his body.

“Sorry...” Susie pulled her arm back, alarmed at the sudden hostility in Calvin’s voice. “A dog had it years ago, and I meant to give it back to you, but I lost it... “ Calvin stared at the toy, his mind in turmoil. This stuffed animal was definitely Hobbes, but if that were true...

Calvin ran through the implications in his mind. Who was upstairs right now if Hobbes had been with Susie for so many years? Was Hobbes even real if he didn’t even notice the change? Or did that make him more real? More important? He searched in circles for what seemed like hours, running each scenario in his head. What did all this mean?

“Calvin...?” Susie tapped Calvin on the arm, snapping him back into consciousness. She looked curiously at his distance stare, but decided not to pry. “So,” she began shyly, “Wanna hang out?” She leaned to the side and extended her arm towards the vast, white curtain of snow that had blanketed the entire landscape as far as the eye could see. It was magical, really. The kind of day Calvin would have loved when he was a kid...

“Sure,” He responded after thinking for another minute, “I’d like that...” Together, the two of them went out to explore the vast world of snow before them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hobbes bounced a ball against the ball mindlessly, impatiently waiting for Calvin to return. “Calvin was never gone for this long,” Hobbes thought to himself, “Unless he went to school...” Hobbes tried to catch the ball as it ricocheted off the wall, but it got sliced in his claws, falling into a limp, useless blubbery mass. Hobbes sighed. “It’s not easy being a philosophical tiger...” He remarked as he threw the ball aside.

Calvin casually strode back into the room, a wide smile on his face. He held a small, stuffed tiger in his hand as he sat down on his bed. Hobbes stood up when he saw his best friend enter the room, a mixture of anger and suspicion in his mind.

“What was all that about?” Hobbes asked casually, remaining as calm as he could. “Who was at the door?”

“Just Susie,” Calvin tried to say as casually as possible, but Hobbes picked up on it immediately.

“Derkins?” Hobbes ears shot up as he was given the news. “Is she back? I always thought you’d make a cute couple...”

“It’s not like that,” Calvin began, staring at the stuffed animal in his hand. “She had something that she needed to give me...” His thoughts trailed off again for a second, but he returned his attention to Hobbes. “So, I have a question...”

“What’s the matter?” Hobbes noticed the discomfort in Calvin’s voice, promptly taking a seat next to him on the bed. Calvin’s eye began to tear up as he turned to his best friend with a confused face.

“Do you ever think it’s time to grow up?” Calvin’s voice was grim, as if he was sentencing his best friend to death, but part of him knew that he had to do this. He had lived so much of his life in his imagination that he had lost track of what was real.

“What do you mean?” Hobbes could sense the dark tone of Calvin’s words, but he didn’t entirely understand it. “I think we’re plenty mature!” His tone was sarcastic, but had an undertone of seriousness that was impossible to miss.

Calvin held the stuffed animal up to Hobbes’ face. “Susie said she had this at her house...” Hobbes looked intently at the toy, unsure what to make of it. “She kept calling it ‘Hobbes’...” Calvin pushed off the bed, standing in front of his friend as he worked this out in his head. “Is this how everyone else sees you?” Hobbes avoided eye contact. He didn’t have an answer, but couldn’t leave his best friend hanging.

Calvin walked over and gave Hobbes a hug, making him drop the stuffed animal on the floor. A tear began to fall from his eye as he made the hardest decision of his life. Both of his eyes stared at the stuffed toy as his mind raced.

Calvin pulled back after what seemed like an eternity, finally realizing the truth. He looked at his best friend, tears rushing out of the corners of his eyes, and saw him as he truly was. Calvin took his best friend by the hand, and together they slowly made their way to the door.

“Let’s go exploring...”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Calvin sees Hobbes as he truly is, but what is that? That, my friend, is up to you to decide. If you think he sees him as a stuffed animal, forever releasing his childhood imagination and beginning his journey to adulthood, vote for Calvin. If he sees Hobbes as he’s always been, holding on to his childhood for as long as possible, vote for Hobbes.

#2 Callisto

Callisto

Goddess

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:50 AM

Learn More About
Calvin
Read more about Calvin at Wikipedia
Official Site: Bill Watterson Links: Wikipedia C&H Wiki GoComics

Hobbes
Read more about Hobbes at Wikipedia
Official Site: Bill Watterson Links: Wikipedia Calvin and Hobbes Wiki GoComics

#3 Doom

Doom

RP Community Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:40 AM

This is the kind of quality writing I like to see on CBUB.

Excellent work. Also, I was strongly reminded of this.

Posted Image

#4 kainboa

kainboa

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:14 AM

An awesome match, more matches with this kind of quality would be awesome :)

As for who actually wins, I'm not entirely sure

#5 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:46 AM

Brilliant setup, I completely agree with Kain that more 'matches' like this would be awesome.

As for the 'winner', I'm reminded of the movie Hackers, with this quote "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

From the setup, it seems that Calvin has, whether he likes it or not, reached that point, and is starting to lose his childish imagination. So Calvin 'wins', but Calvin loses.

#6 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:02 AM

Excellent setup and this is the type which if there were more of it would be good. It seems at the end Calvin is ready to grow up and I think from reading the story he realizes that when he cries.

#7 Manar

Manar

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

As for the 'winner', I'm reminded of the movie Hackers, with this quote "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

Isnt that from the bible ?

#8 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:47 PM

Originally, yes. But I wasn't reminded of the bible, I was reminded of the movie Hackers, where Cereal Killer says it :) He even says which section of the bible it's originally from, but I don't remember that particular detail.

#9 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

Awesome set up. Can't pick a winner though.

#10 Mercenaryblade

Mercenaryblade

Mercenary Captain

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,441 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, fencing, and more.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:41 PM

Interesting concept, I can't really decide which Hobbe really is.

#11 JohnnyChany

JohnnyChany

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

Fantastic job. A superb entry for this month's challenge. I am jumping on the "Calvin is maturing and this is a critical moment" bandwagon.

#12 Peypeypeypey

Peypeypeypey

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

Interesting concept, I can't really decide which Hobbe really is.

Interestingly enough, a quote from Bill Watterson was what inspired the fight. I don't have the book with me, but it was something along the lines of "Calvin sees him as real, and everyone else sees him as a stuffed animal. Neither one of them is right, they're both just different ways of looking at it."

#13 ScrewAttackFan25

ScrewAttackFan25

SPOOOON!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:40 AM

Oh....god.
Posted Image

#14 LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Comics from the 90's. Movies. RPG's.

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:48 AM

No man, it's from Hackers. The Bible ripped that movie off.

By the way, this was an outstanding match. As immature as I am, I'm absolutely voting for Hobbes.

#15 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 23 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

Great, imaginative set-up, Pey. Writing is really picking up at CBUB of late.

Now, I've never had the opportunity to read a Calvin and Hobbs strip, as no newspaper where I live has carried it in their comics sections, as least as far as I'm aware. But since this is a tale of a growing kid reaching a crossroads with his childish imagination, I'll take swing with guessing a winner.

So Calvin is going into puberty? And getting reacquainted with a cute girl he used to know? While said girl (kind of) unknowingly reveals the truth about Hobbs? Man, it's going to be a close one, but since Calvin apparently has a very active imagination, it's probably not going away anytime soon.

In the long run, Calvin keeps his imagination intact, and while Hobbs may not be nearly as big a part of the boy's life from now on, he lives on through Calvin capturing him in, heh, a comic strip. :D

#16 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

Great, imaginative set-up, Pey. Writing is really picking up at CBUB of late.

Now, I've never had the opportunity to read a Calvin and Hobbs strip, as no newspaper where I live has carried it in their comics sections, as least as far as I'm aware. But since this is a tale of a growing kid reaching a crossroads with his childish imagination, I'll take swing with guessing a winner.

So Calvin is going into puberty? And getting reacquainted with a cute girl he used to know? While said girl (kind of) unknowingly reveals the truth about Hobbs? Man, it's going to be a close one, but since Calvin apparently has a very active imagination, it's probably not going away anytime soon.

In the long run, Calvin keeps his imagination intact, and while Hobbs may not be nearly as big a part of the boy's life from now on, he lives on through Calvin capturing him in, heh, a comic strip.

If you get Igoogle, you can add a daily Calvin and Hobbes comic :)

You can probably find most(if not all) of the comics online as well. I highly recommend them.

#17 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:38 PM

First Corinthians 13:11

Also, yes, this match is a gem. Keep up the excellent work. I don't rate matches, but I rated this one.

#18 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

Get this crayon outta my nostril, PLEASE!

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 4,552 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff... And fighting evil.

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

This match is amazing. Well done.

#19 Peypeypeypey

Peypeypeypey

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

Thanks for all the positive comments, guys :D

#20 Joem1k

Joem1k

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:59 AM

you know what i find interesting about this matchup is that calvin and hobbes hold a history here at cbub and to me this is the retirement matchup for them to be honest. Though in my mind i dont think calvin should all together forget hobbes he should be remebered though saved for someone else such as his child in the future . I think of hobbes as his friend of life and his conscious so my vote is with hobbes on this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users