• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 Lunacyde

Lunacyde

Don't feed him after midnight

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Comics, Guns, Sports, History, Politics, Mythology, Environmental studies,Nature, Spirituality, Survival Skills, etc.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

Funny. I see a lot of people comparing Hit Girl to Toph, and saying how great of a character Toph is. And I don't see Toph doing drugs, swearing or shooting people.

So, swearing, doing drugs and shooting people are the epitome of good characterization? Shows you are a typical CBUB-er. I bet you never read a single book by Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Phillip K. Dick and Isaac Asimov in your life. Shit, what am I saying? You are a typical CBUB user, you never read a single book in your life. Mostly because most great works of literature don't come with explosions and gunfights.

Up to this point I've tried to be polite in addressing you.
#1.Toph and Hit -Girl are completely different characters. Whoever told you they are comparable was lying. You are correct on her being a great character though.

#2. You don't seem to understand characterization. Good characterization is portraying the character correctly. It is following their established personality and explaining deviations from that personality in a realistic and potent manner. I'm not saying your characterization sucks because of any of the things you mentioned. I'm saying it because the character's personality does not come through in the dialogue or her actions.

#3. First of all why does it matter? Are you comparing yourself to Philip K. Dick or Arthur C. Clark? Second of all the author's you mentioned (THOUGH AWESOME) are all sci-fi writers. If you want to talk about literature you may want to expand to include people like Hemingway, Steinbeck, Twain, Fitzgerald, Bradbury etc. Thirdly attacking others doesn't make your writing any better. Take the advice, swallow your pride, and improve next time.

P.S. I guarantee I've read more books than you.

#62 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

Why are you always so stupid?

First of all, taking literally 30 seconds to research where the setting of the characters that you use in YOUR OWN setup, is not comparable in any way to reading all of your previous setups in an effort to gain a context for your impression of the character. Saying that if you made a hypothetical match, these people would not research the character is also absolutely not applicable. Odds are they won't even click on the match in the first place.

Second, noone cares about Deviant Art, or TGwhatever, or any of the other forums and people you keep rambling about, noone here could give less of a *vulgarity* about the other sites you visit in your free time. I'm going to repeat it one more time to get it through your thick head: any time you mention those forums, noone cares about anything you have to say.

Third, writing a character as a homage to another character is a blatant and shallow justification of not knowing the characters. Next time I feel too lazy to write jokes for Deadpool, and therefore write Deadpool as a stoic, serious character, I'm just going to say it was a tribute to Master Chief. Or not, because I'm not a dumbass.

P.S- if that's your idea of emotionally gripping, you're the one who must have not read a real book before. The dialog in this entire setup was so pathetically bad it was actually kind of funny.

#63 Shoggoth breeder

Shoggoth breeder

Don't feed him after midnight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Interests:Calling Cthulhu

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:55 AM

So, swearing, doing drugs and shooting people are the epitome of good characterization? Shows you are a typical CBUB-er. I bet you never read a single book by Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Phillip K. Dick and Isaac Asimov in your life. Shit, what am I saying? You are a typical CBUB user, you never read a single book in your life. Mostly because most great works of literature don't come with explosions and gunfights.

1) I have read books written by all of those authors, and many, many more by others. So most of that ^ means nothing.
2) Posted Image

#64 LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Comics from the 90's. Movies. RPG's.

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:21 AM

"What is this gay shit? If you are not gonna kill her, I will! Stand aside, sweetie, Daddy is gonna take care of business." says Big Daddy

Hit Girl stands between Dani California and Big Daddy, more determined than ever.

"No." says Hit Girl in a harsher tone

"What?" says Big Daddy

"I won't stand aside. I won't let you kill her. And I won't kill her myself. In fact, I won't kill anyone ever again." says Hit Girl

"What the fack?" says Big Daddy

"What you heard. From this moment on, I'm making another oath: never to kill anyone ever again. From now on, when I find a criminal, I will bring him or her to justice instead of killing him or her." says Hit Girl

"Where the fack did this f-a-g talk come from? Why are you turning into a pussy all of a sudden?" says Big Daddy

"You failed me, girl! You dissapointed your Daddy! And that's not a nice thing to do! I'm about to teach you some discipline, the Big Daddy way! Maybe after I whoop your ass, I can get those faggy ideas out of your head!" says Big Daddy

Hilarious dialogue. You seem to have transformed Big Daddy into the father from Natural Born Killers played by Rodney Dangerfield. Whereas the normally foulmouthed and trashy Hit-girl is now an idealistic doe-eyed anime girl.

#65 patrickthekid

patrickthekid

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,017 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

Big Daddy, especially since the setup states that she won't kill anymore.

#66 Callisto

Callisto

Goddess

• Administrators
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

Match Final Results
USER RATINGS
D
F I would rather you not write a match at all than write this crap.
B Good setup and this seems like something that would if Hitgirl did end up in a similar situation.
C
B
SCORE
Hit Girl: 11
Big Daddy: 16
FPA: 1.9

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users