fantasy

classic/gothic horror

classic videogames

anime and manga

giantesses

fun movies

That Guy With the Glasses

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:58 AM

(this is my submission to the June Challenge. It still takes place in Universe Beta, but it actually features a fight between two canonical allies.

Also, this is the movie version of both characters, just so you know)

--------------------------------------
It's the year 2008.

Before Hit Girl joined the Venturers, before she took Battle Girl as her sidekick, before she even moved to Citiesville.

Back when she was still fighting crime alongside her father, Big Daddy.

A bank robbery is reported to the New York City Police Department. However, Hit Girl and Big Daddy are there faster than any of the police officers.

Hit Girl and Big Daddy jump throught the bank's skylight, ready to face down the robbers.

However, on that day, at that moment, Hit Girl will see something that will change her life forever.

Up until this point, Hit Girl pretty much only met gangsters, Yakuza, hitmen, supervillains, serial killers. The scum of humanity. She was convinced that all criminals were like that, ever since Frank D'Amico killed her mother.

However, what she sees in the bank that day is...different.

The one robbing a bank isn't a gangster or a hoodlum.

Instead, the one robbing the bank is a poor, sickly thin, down-on-her-luck woman. She looks more scared than anything, like she had never done this before and didn't want to do it. Hit Girl doesn't see rage or madness in her eyes, Hit Girl sees fear, desperation, loneliness, even as the woman points the gun at the bank customers.

Big Daddy notices his daughter's hesitation.

"So? What are you waiting for? Kill her!" says Big Daddy

Hit Girl trembles as she raises her own gun, unsure of what to do.

"I...I..I..." says Hit Girl in doubt and confusion

"Please don't kill me! I'm just doing this to feed my baby! I don't want my baby to die! I just want to see my boyfriend again! PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!" says the woman, terrified, a heavy Mississippi accent permeating her voice

"So? What's this all about? She's gonna get away if we don't stop her! Kill her! Kill her! KILL HER!" says Big Daddy

"I...I...I.." says Hit Girl, still unsure of what to do

Suddenly, a look of determination crosses Hit Girl's face. She tosses her gun, and kicks it away.

"I won't do it." says Hit Girl

"WHAT?" says Big Daddy

"I won't kill her." says Hit Girl

Hit Girl then turns to the woman

"What's your name, sweetie?" says Hit Girl

"People call me...Dani California." says the woman

"Well, Dani, I know you are desperate, but this is not the right way of doing things. You are scared, I can see that, but you yourself are scaring a lot of people. If you kill anyone, they will give you a life sentence or the death pentalty and then you'll never see your boyfriend or your baby again. I happen to be friends with a certain young fellow called Damian Wayne. He can use his connections to land you a cushy job at Wayne Enterprises, where you will never go hungry or poor again. All you have to do is put down the gun, and come with me. Will you do that, Dani? For your baby?" says Hit Girl in the most soothing and calming voice possible

Dani California throws her own gun, kicks it away, and gives Hit Girl a tearful hug. However, Hit Girl notices Big Daddy still aiming his gun at Dani California.

"What is this gay shit? If you are not gonna kill her, I will! Stand aside, sweetie, Daddy is gonna take care of business." says Big Daddy

Hit Girl stands between Dani California and Big Daddy, more determined than ever.

"No." says Hit Girl in a harsher tone

"What?" says Big Daddy

"I won't stand aside. I won't let you kill her. And I won't kill her myself. In fact, I won't kill anyone ever again." says Hit Girl

"What the fack?" says Big Daddy

"What you heard. From this moment on, I'm making another oath: never to kill anyone ever again. From now on, when I find a criminal, I will bring him or her to justice instead of killing him or her." says Hit Girl

"Where the fack did this f-a-g talk come from? Why are you turning into a pussy all of a sudden?" says Big Daddy

"Don't you see it, Daddy? We kept killing criminals because we've convinced themselves that they are monsters, and we are saints. The world isn't as black and white as that. Sure, criminals need to be punished, but not like this! Not like this! G-Girl in Megatopia managed to make the city safe without shedding a single drop of blood! People trust her, they look forward to her saving them, they cheer whenever she goes out and fights crime! Nobody cheers for us! Nobody trusts us! Well, I want that to change! I want to be like G-Girl, I want people to cheer for me! And that means no more killing! I can beat the crap outta criminals, I can knock them out and break their bones, but I can't kill them! Not anymore!" says Hit Girl

"Mindy, sweetie, move aside, or I'll shoot right throught you! I swear!" says Big Daddy

"I'm sorry, Daddy, but if you want Dani, you'll have to go through me!" says Hit Girl

Big Daddy puts down his own gun

"You failed me, girl! You dissapointed your Daddy! And that's not a nice thing to do! I'm about to teach you some discipline, the Big Daddy way! Maybe after I whoop your ass, I can get those faggy ideas out of your head!" says Big Daddy

"You can kick me, punch, me, beat the crap outta me, knock me unconscious. But you will never get me to change my honor code. I will fight for it, and I will fight for the life of Dani!" says Hit Girl

Thus, Hit Girl assumes a fighting position as she and Big Daddy go at it...

-------------------------------------

This is stritcly a hand-to-hand fight, no weapons will be used.

So, who wins this?

#2 Callisto

Callisto

Goddess

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:58 AM

Learn More About
Hit Girl
Read more about Hit Girl at Wikipedia
Official Site: Marvel Comics Links: Wikipedia Comicvine Comic Book Database

Big Daddy
Read more about Big Daddy at Wikipedia
Official Site: Marvel Comics Links: Wikipedia Comicvine Marvel Database

#3 skadoosh

skadoosh

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,173 posts
  • Interests:Comics, books, films, people.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:34 AM

The set up reminded me of Frank Miller's writing.

I think Big Daddy wins pretty easily, as there's nothing Hit Girl can do that he isn't prepared for, plus he's physically superior to her. The only advantage she has is being small enough for some of Big Daddy's attacks to, possibly, miss her, but i doubt that's enough to give her the win.

#4 Lunacyde

Lunacyde

Don't feed him after midnight

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Comics, Guns, Sports, History, Politics, Mythology, Environmental studies,Nature, Spirituality, Survival Skills, etc.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

The set up reminded me of Frank Miller's writing.

I think Big Daddy wins pretty easily, as there's nothing Hit Girl can do that he isn't prepared for, plus he's physically superior to her. The only advantage she has is being small enough for some of Big Daddy's attacks to, possibly, miss her, but i doubt that's enough to give her the win.

This.

#5 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

Good setup and I think Hit Girl could take it. Hit Girl is going to be determined save the lady and when Hit Girl gets like that she tends to really cut loose. Hit Girl I believe surpassed her father in every way plus Hit Girl is faster which also helps.

#6 skadoosh

skadoosh

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

Hit Girl I believe surpassed her father in every way

No.

#7 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

One in the movie we saw size doesn't matter for Hit Girl and Two Hit Girl's feats were better then Big Daddy. There is also the fact Daddy got himself captured and killed by the very same men Hit Girl killed all by herself. Hit Girl killed almost person in that building by herself. Hitgirl's speed, reflexes, and skill in that movie were better then her father. I didn't see anything from that movie that made me go Big Daddy is better then her father.

#8 Peypeypeypey

Peypeypeypey

The truthiness will set you free

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

I have some issues with the set-up. For one thing, if you're going to write a fight, you should write the characters in character. And I really don't care that you're using your "Universe Beta" versions of the characters. They should either still act like they would in the movie, or not be the same characters at all. Also, if you're going to write a set-up you should do at least the bare minumun of research to make sure that the "Who" "What" "When" "Where" and "Why" of the story all make sense with the canon. The sentence "Name of the city 'Kick-Ass' took place in" has no place in the set-up. You can even edit fights now. Look it up and change it later if you don't remember it initially (It takes place in New York, by the way).

Another thing I found strange about Hit-Girl in particular is that she wasn't at all like she was in the movie. Wasn't Hit-Girl trained since she was very young to be merciless and violent? I highly doubt the sight of a woman being scared would affect her that much. She would probably have thought that it was just an act that the person put on after they realized the crime went poorly, but I guess it's possible, and it's your set-up so do whatever you want. I just didn't think it was in character.

The dialog was also a huge problem. For one thing, it was unbelievably repetitive Every single time someone said something, it ended with "says so-and-so". Rarely was there ever a point where a tone was described, and without that description, the dialog felt lifeless. Also, people tend to do things as their talking. The paragraph were Hit Girl is talking about G-Girl in particular just drags on and on. It would have been nice to get some kind of description about what was going on. Maybe Hit Girl starts tearing up, or makes some gesture with her hands, or does something other than just talk on and on. That's what people do.

Overall, I thought this set-up was okay, but it was lacking in a few areas. Most of them could be solved by a simple edit (adding in the city names), but I also think you should make more of an effort to keep the charcters in character. Otherwise, you might as well use the FPL.

Grade: D

P.S: My Super Ex-Girlfriend takes place in New York, too.

#9 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:39 PM

I'm gonna say Big Daddy.

-Rakai'Thwei

#10 Redemption X

Redemption X

Released the Kraken

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • Interests:DC Comics

Marvel Comics

science fiction

fantasy

classic/gothic horror

classic videogames

anime and manga

giantesses

fun movies

That Guy With the Glasses

Posted 17 June 2012 - 04:28 AM

She IS in character....according to Universe Beta canon.

That's the one of the differences between Universe Beta and the source universes: Hit Girl doesn't kill in Universe Beta.

She took an oath never to kill. She kills robots or dinosaurs or alien creatures, but not human villains.

This is supposed to be the moment where she reaches that decision,

If would be out of character for her if she DID kill, as that is not the way she is depicted in Universe Beta.

This was something that never came across in my other Universe Beta matches, that I'm clarifying here: in Universe Beta, Hit Girl has long since stopped killing.

THAT is why, during "End of Universe Beta", the moment when she pulls out her spear with the intent of killing Karate Kid is so dramatic: Karate Kid killing Battle Girl AND G-Girl shocked Hit Girl out of her no-killing code.

As for the way I write...that's the way I write. That's the way I've always written. Nobody in Deviantart seems to have a problem with it (for the record, my Touhou Reviews, as well as my Touhou Reviews-themed matches, are written in a "script" format specifically to avoid such issues). You may criticize things like characterization or lack of research, but you can't ask me to change my writing format after a lifetime of using it. Also, I DO point out voice tones when it's necessary to point them out (look closer in the setup. I pointed out that Hit Girl talks to Dani California in a soothing and relaxing tone, and that Dani California talks in a terrified tone). But pointing it out with every single line of dialogue would become repetitive, and I would end up treating my readers like idiots (since everyone can assume voice tones just by reading the actual dialogue). Since you are the first, and so far only, person that has an issue with this, I'm not changing it.

As for the lack of research...I don't recall the city being named in either movie. If both did indeed took place in New York, then it's the filmmakers' fault of not getting that across.

Oh, and I find your "you might as well use the FPL" comment highly ironic. For you see, the only reason Universe Beta even exists in the first place is because I DID use the FPL. Where do you think the Crimson Spider, Lightning and the Prime Merlinians come from? After my FPL characters got mercilessly bashed by the other FPL users, I decided to kill all of them, and linking the matches where they die together is what created Universe Beta. If people liked my work at the FPL, Universe Beta wouldn't even exist.

Finally, let it be known that this was NOT my original plan for the June Challenge. I had another match planned for the contest, one that you may have liked better, but I was forced to discard it when I got hit with the whole "you can't use characters who were only friends in Universe Beta". I still plan to do that match, but not as part of the June Challenge.

And if you have an issue with Universe Beta as a whole, two words: UWT Universe. That universe had no real basis in canon, so yelling at Universe Beta is the pot calling the kettle black.

#11 skadoosh

skadoosh

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:55 AM

Big Daddy trained her, there is nothing she can do that he doesn't know about, and he's not exactly a small, weak, un-trained killer himself.

#12 Peypeypeypey

Peypeypeypey

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

As for the way I write...that's the way I write. That's the way I've always written. Nobody in Deviantart seems to have a problem with it (for the record, my Touhou Reviews, as well as my Touhou Reviews-themed matches, are written in a "script" format specifically to avoid such issues). You may criticize things like characterization or lack of research, but you can't ask me to change my writing format after a lifetime of using it. Also, I DO point out voice tones when it's necessary to point them out (look closer in the setup. I pointed out that Hit Girl talks to Dani California in a soothing and relaxing tone, and that Dani California talks in a terrified tone). But pointing it out with every single line of dialogue would become repetitive, and I would end up treating my readers like idiots (since everyone can assume voice tones just by reading the actual dialogue). Since you are the first, and so far only, person that has an issue with this, I'm not changing it.

As for the lack of research...I don't recall the city being named in either movie. If both did indeed took place in New York, then it's the filmmakers' fault of not getting that across.

Oh, and I find your "you might as well use the FPL" comment highly ironic. For you see, the only reason Universe Beta even exists in the first place is because I DID use the FPL. Where do you think the Crimson Spider, Lightning and the Prime Merlinians come from? After my FPL characters got mercilessly bashed by the other FPL users, I decided to kill all of them, and linking the matches where they die together is what created Universe Beta. If people liked my work at the FPL, Universe Beta wouldn't even exist.

Finally, let it be known that this was NOT my original plan for the June Challenge. I had another match planned for the contest, one that you may have liked better, but I was forced to discard it when I got hit with the whole "you can't use characters who were only friends in Universe Beta". I still plan to do that match, but not as part of the June Challenge.

And if you have an issue with Universe Beta as a whole, two words: UWT Universe. That universe had no real basis in canon, so yelling at Universe Beta is the pot calling the kettle black.

I'm not asking you to change your writing, I'm telling you the issues I found with it. Continue writing this way if you want, I'm not going to make you change it, but I will keep criticizing it if I find flaws, especially if you have such obvious mistakes in it (Name of the city the movie "Kick-Ass" took place in).

And no, I find it much more repetitive to end every single line of dialog with "Says So-and-So". You could at least change it up with a "Described", "Exclaimed", "Whimpered", or "Snapped So-and-So". It really does get tiresome when each and every sentence ends with the same thing.

As for the research, there's this great new thing called Google. I found out where both of the movies took place in a matter of seconds. I haven't even seen My Super Ex-Girlfriend, but I could still find it almost instantly. Not putting this in, especially now that you can edit your fight, is pointless.

Now, let me be clear about something, I really don't care about Universe Beta. You can keep making your fights the way you want, and that's fine. I just think it's strange to completely change a character just for your own purposes. And I suppose you could argue that every set-up in(on?) the CBUB does this, but I think most of them make sense within the canon, too. Since you're using the movie version, this quote from the co-writer completely disproves this set-up: "(Hit Girl) is genuinely dangerous, she's genuinely mad. It's not her fault: she's been raised in this environment where she doesn't know anything different. She's unwittingly part of a folie a duex." She wouldn't just change because she saw a pathetic criminal.

And I know, you don't have to tell me, "It's Universe Beta!" But I still don't see the point of making set-ups if you don't stick to the canon of the characters in the canon universe.

I really don't care if you actually listen to my advise, I'm just telling you why I gave you a D.

#13 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

Big Daddy trained her, there is nothing she can do that he doesn't know about, and he's not exactly a small, weak, un-trained killer himself.

Big Daddy training her doesn't mean he obviously wins and I didn't see Daddy do anything in the movie for me that puts him over Hit Girl. I repeat Big Daddy got caught off guarded and captured. They tried ganging up on Hit Girl and failed completely. Hit Girl killed all of them by herself.

Oh and I was always under the belief Big Daddy trained Hit Girl to be better then him which she most definitely is whether comic or film.

#14 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

Hit Girl got shot straight away by Red Mist before the mobsters even showed up. Big Daddy didn't even bother fighting back at that point because he was so filled with grief.

Hit Girl took those mobsters down later, with stealth, not by taking them all on at once. She didn't do anything Big Daddy couldn't have done (if it was Hit Girl who was captured, and Big Daddy who went to rescue her, it would've gone the same way).

Honestly, the scene where Daddy takes out D'amico's men in the warehouse was more impressive than anything Hit Girl did in the film. That, along with his superior physical attributes and the fact that his costume is armored, guarantees him victory.

She is more skilled in the comic, yeah (but honestly, the comic version of Big Daddy was pretty pathetic), but the film version is too good.

#15 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:52 AM

I am very sorry but I will defend Redemption on this one. Since when are people not allowed to create there own stories and do unique takes on characters in their setups? We have been doing this for years on CBUB. So what if Hit Girl doesn't kill thats not even close to a good reason to give him a D.

Oh and seeing that how Hit Girl in the comics as well as film does stop being Hit Girl for a year or two after avenging her Dad. I would say its not far of a stretch for her to stop killing. Even if the reason why she stopped could have been better. On top of it many people forget that Hit Girl in the comics after avenging her Dad cries and tells Kick-Ass to hold her because her Daddy just died. She may be violent and curse alot but she is still a young girl.

Yes if it benefits his story he is allowed to change certain aspects of the character. Back on the old CBUB alot of great writers use to do that. Hit Girl not killing is not a complete change of the character.

#16 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

Hit Girl got shot straight away by Red Mist before the mobsters even showed up. Big Daddy didn't even bother fighting back at that point because he was so filled with grief.

Hit Girl took those mobsters down later, with stealth, not by taking them all on at once. She didn't do anything Big Daddy couldn't have done (if it was Hit Girl who was captured, and Big Daddy who went to rescue her, it would've gone the same way).

Honestly, the scene where Daddy takes out D'amico's men in the warehouse was more impressive than anything Hit Girl did in the film. That, along with his superior physical attributes and the fact that his costume is armored, guarantees him victory.

She is more skilled in the comic, yeah (but honestly, the comic version of Big Daddy was pretty pathetic), but the film version is too good.

Before that she did own alot of them by herself. Thats the scene where she is flipping around and cutting them up with her sword.

#17 Peypeypeypey

Peypeypeypey

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

Y'know what? I really don't care about Universe Beta, and it has absolutely nothing to do with my grade. I stand by that even if it was written in Hit Girl's canon Character. I just dislike that because I can't judge how well the characters are written in character if you just change them. Also, it's not just the fact that she doesn't kill, her and Big Daddy's personalities are completely changed. They act nothing like they do in the movie, and that is a problem. If you just change the personalities and the morality of the characters, I still don't see why you even use them.

It's a shame, too, because Universe Beta is actually a pretty cool idea. I just feel that he could do a better job at keeping everyone acting with their characters. I still say he should try his hand at the FPL again. This is an interesting idea, I just can't get over the fact that their entire personalities are changed.

It's fine if he does Universe Beta. That's not why I'm upset. The Set-up was still flawed and still only worthy of a D.

#18 Lunacyde

Lunacyde

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Comics, Guns, Sports, History, Politics, Mythology, Environmental studies,Nature, Spirituality, Survival Skills, etc.

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:28 PM

She IS in character....according to Universe Beta canon.

That's the one of the differences between Universe Beta and the source universes: Hit Girl doesn't kill in Universe Beta.

She took an oath never to kill. She kills robots or dinosaurs or alien creatures, but not human villains.

This is supposed to be the moment where she reaches that decision,

If would be out of character for her if she DID kill, as that is not the way she is depicted in Universe Beta.

This was something that never came across in my other Universe Beta matches, that I'm clarifying here: in Universe Beta, Hit Girl has long since stopped killing.

THAT is why, during "End of Universe Beta", the moment when she pulls out her spear with the intent of killing Karate Kid is so dramatic: Karate Kid killing Battle Girl AND G-Girl shocked Hit Girl out of her no-killing code.

Yes, lets all make-up our own universes where we make up the rules and anything we say goes. That won't get confusing or tiresome quickly....

#19 Lunacyde

Lunacyde

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

I am very sorry but I will defend Redemption on this one. Since when are people not allowed to create there own stories and do unique takes on characters in their setups? We have been doing this for years on CBUB. So what if Hit Girl doesn't kill thats not even close to a good reason to give him a D.

Oh and seeing that how Hit Girl in the comics as well as film does stop being Hit Girl for a year or two after avenging her Dad. I would say its not far of a stretch for her to stop killing. Even if the reason why she stopped could have been better. On top of it many people forget that Hit Girl in the comics after avenging her Dad cries and tells Kick-Ass to hold her because her Daddy just died. She may be violent and curse alot but she is still a young girl.

Yes if it benefits his story he is allowed to change certain aspects of the character. Back on the old CBUB alot of great writers use to do that. Hit Girl not killing is not a complete change of the character.

I think there is a fine line between what he is doing and what people have been doing in the CBUB for years. I have no problem with taking a character and having them do their own thing. I am all for creative character development through events. It's just when there is little to no explanation, and you have someone acting COMPLETELY out of character it's extremely hard to even figure out how to grade a match. You cannot drastically change a personality on a dime to the point they are indistinguishable as that character anymore and that is how I felt when I read this.

I don't care if she doesn't kill if he gives proper explanation. it would actually be a stirring story if it was handled correctly. It's the fact that pretty much nothing in the set-up sounds remotely like anything Hit-girl would say that bothers me. It's as if she's Hit-girl in name only, and her personality has been white-washed to fit his story. He should build-up character development if he wants to accomplish this, not just say this is how it is.

Just my opinion.

#20 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:48 PM

I just thought a D was too low based on his reasons. As far as the Universe Beta yeah he should have explained her background a bit from there which he was told to do so on the June Challenge thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users