18 replies to this topic

#1 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:24 AM

I'd like us to compile a list of ridiculous super moves. I'm not talking about things like the Hadouken, which is unrealistic but apparently useful in combat. The criteria for inclusion is two-fold. First, the move must be visually spectacular and/or complicated. Second, it needs to achieve a combat effect that is virtually identical to something the fighter can achieve in a much simpler way OR be completely useless except in way-too-specific situations. Some of Gotenks' named attacks spring to mind, but please try to think outside the box and not stick to the same old stuff. Also, feel free to discuss whether something does or does not belong on the list.

Example:

Some characters like Kyle Rayner have a natural visual flourish to their powers- and a giant samurai mecha ring construct isn't any *worse* at catching a falling girder than an oversized baseball mit or generic sphere of green light. However, creating a gun to fire projectiles is demonstrably less efficient than just shooting things with the ring.

#2 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:07 AM

The thing that springs to mind first is from the movie Mystery Men where Invisible Boy can turn invisible only when no one is looking. Even he can't be looking.

#3 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

I'd like to submit every telekinetic ever who doesn't just go around snapping brain stems.

#4 potterpuppetpals

potterpuppetpals

Why? No one's gonna see them.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Crossovers, tortoises, videogames, Happy Wheels, other random stuff.

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

Definitely Johnny Cage's fatalities from MK 9. In his first one, he punches his opponent's head off, which would kill them instantly, but then he rips their entire body apart, slams it on the ground and catches the opponent's head in his other hand.

Don't even get me started on the other one where he chops his opponent's head in half.

#5 potterpuppetpals

potterpuppetpals

Why? No one's gonna see them.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  • Interests:Crossovers, tortoises, videogames, Happy Wheels, other random stuff.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:47 AM

Infact, now I think about it, every MK fatality is stupid. But then again that is the point of fatalities.

#6 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:02 AM

Wonder Woman blocking bullets with her wristbands.

#7 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:44 PM

Wonder Woman blocking bullets with her wristbands.

I disagree. That actually serves a purpose that can't really be accomplished by any other means. I don't know a lot about WW but i never thought she was actually bulletproof, and/or able to dodge bullets. If I'm wrong about that, then I suppose.

I'd also like to throw in Colossus and Wolverine's fast-ball special. Its cool and it gets him from a to b, but throwing your teammate at as a human projectile isn't the best strategy. If you miss then he may be hundreds of yards away from the battle. Also the landing. Plus, if you toss him at your opponent, couldn't said opponent just move slightly one way or the other? Its not like wolvie can adjust his trajectory mid flight. And its kind of unneeded since Colossus could always throw a bolder or something else. Unless the bad guy is in the air, virtually immobile, and is impervious to being hit with all things other then Wolverine, you're wasting effort. So it be great if you had to take down an Adamantium Blimp, but outside that there would always be easier ways to get it done

#8 force_echo

force_echo

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

She's capable of brawling with Superman, a being whose punches shatter planets. I'm sure a couple of bullets wouldn't be able to hurt her in the slightest.

I can see what you mean about the fastball. It seems too easy to dodge to be practical.

#9 Djgambrell

Djgambrell

Meh.

• Members
  • 5,989 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

She's capable of brawling with Superman, a being whose punches shatter planets. I'm sure a couple of bullets wouldn't be able to hurt her in the slightest.

I can see what you mean about the fastball. It seems too easy to dodge to be practical.

Actually bullets really do hurt her. They shouldn't but apparently the writers like it.

#10 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

It's not like Superman doesn't hold himself back, so being able to fight with him doesn't trasnlate into "impervious to everything".

Also, if someone throws a rock at you it probably won't kill you, or hurt you, but you still put your hands up to make sure it doesn't hit you. Because people don't like things hitting them. Wonder Woman might not like the feel of bullets impacting her skin.

#11 force_echo

force_echo

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

Superman slammed her from the sun back to the Earth. Surviving a blow like that pretty much means she should be completely invulnerable to bullets.

Except she frequently stops fighting to block bullets with her bracelets. At that point she's sacrificing significant combat efficiency in order to do a completely unnecessary action.

#12 a guy

a guy

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:heavy metal nerdy stuff Warhammer 40k

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Jackie Estacado's darkness armor (he flew into space when he could teleport)

#13 M Bison

M Bison

Cool dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

Posted Image

#14 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

I think pro wrestling is predicated entirely on ridiculous moves.

"Oh! It's the Dragonpuncture Neckbrace! I don't see how The Mitigator can stand much more of this, Skeeve! It looks like he's reaching for the rope... and... OH NO Baka Bushido just gave him the Sushi Slap-Chop! It looks like it's all over for The Lawful One..."

#15 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 24 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

Those names! I need those names to be wrestlers.

#16 M Bison

M Bison

Cool dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:32 AM

Many of these moves didn't exist at the time this was filmed. Now they all do.

#17 tomisntblue

tomisntblue

ANNND now for something you'll really like. (It's cookie

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 10,760 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:09 AM

Posted Image

#18 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

It is pretty ridiculous to answer his question. My question is: Does he have a giant fishy mohawk or is that a badly drawn motion blur.

#19 force_echo

force_echo

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:07 PM

Hey look, it's Green Iron Lantern Man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users