#1 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, writing

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

As many of you may or may not know, I tend to lean on the side of making long fight set-up fights, and with my current arch I'm going to make the finale the longest I've ever made it, probably around 10 pages or so on Word.

Sooooooooooo,

I'm going to say it, is it too long for a site like this? Should I break them down into smaller fights or keep them?

#2 Peypeypeypey

Peypeypeypey

The truthiness will set you free

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

In my opinion, you should make a set-up as long as you feel it needs to be. However, some people are likely to just skip a set-up when they see that it's 10+ pages long.

#3 kainboa

kainboa

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:22 PM

I'll have to agree, write the setup as long as you think it should be.

However i would also suggest that you add a short recap at the very bottom, for the users who have too short an attention span to read a long setup.

#4 leroypowell3

leroypowell3

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:26 PM

One of the main critisicms I get on my setups is that I should do more with it (longer). In trying to give people what they want, I've opened up on story a little (still not enough apparaently) and then do the fight paramaters at the end in case people don't care about the story but will still know what they need to know to vote intelligently.

I like the idea of breaking it up into numerous matches. After all, they will only be up for three days.

But of course, its a free country and you should do what you figure needs to be done to present a good story for the other members. If it's long, it's long.

#5 Confession FPT

Confession FPT

The Cacti Guy

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Interests:Lucha Libre, baby!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

Oh shoosh. There is no such thing as too long.

#6 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

One of the main critisicms I get on my setups is that I should do more with it (longer). In trying to give people what they want, I've opened up on story a little (still not enough apparaently) and then do the fight paramaters at the end in case people don't care about the story but will still know what they need to know to vote intelligently.

Yeah, I see that, too. Many people want to see more detail in your matches, more reason behind why the characters are working together or fighting. What they may not understand, though, is that many of your matches are part of long, ongoing arcs, and that recapping the history of your arcs may be pretty hard to do. I've read and commented on many of your matches, so I know where your arcs are, but I can still see where somebody new to your matches may be coming from.

To help prevent confusion with your future arcs, maybe include links to the previous matches in new matches of said arcs.

As for the topic, length doesn't really much matter from what I've seen. Lord knows my upcoming match might be my longest yet. What seems to matter more is the quality of the match and, to a fairly large extent, the current popularity of the characters used.

#7 Boratz

Boratz

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

I guess I like long matches but I will also like a short one if the story is good. The one thing I like is story and if the set-up is five paragraphs but has a decent story, than I like it. It should be as long as you (the writer) thinks it needs to be. If it is 10 pages, than a recap might be useful for the people who hate to read.

#8 patrickthekid

patrickthekid

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,017 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

Remember the old saying: quality over quantity. That said, we do expect the set-up to be gone over a decent length.

#9 The Lord Dragon Reborn

The Lord Dragon Reborn

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Interests:XBOX 360, SCIENCE FICTION NOVELS/MOVIES, FOOTBALL, AND NONREALITY TV SHOWS

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:58 PM

I like a good story and most of the time I try to keep up with the arcs. That being said, most of the time I access the site from work and don't have enough time to read the longer setups.

#10 ScrewAttackFan25

ScrewAttackFan25

SPOOOON!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

I don't think any set up is too long. It's just that for some reason, people just don't like to read it seems. It's like some of my earlier match ups: I have made an Invincible vs Babidi match up back in 2011 and it got a 3.5 wich is ok. But when I have made Incredible Hulk vs Godzilla and Incredible Hulk vs Flower Division, they got 2.6 (vs Godzilla) and a 3.2 (vs Flower Division). This makes you wonder if anyone even READS the match ups any more, and they were not even that long!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users