Photo
- - - - -

Poll: How Long should CBUB Matches run?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: CBUB Matches: 5 Days or 3 Days? (43 member(s) have cast votes)

CBUB Matches: How long should they run?

1. Five Days! (24 votes [55.81%])

Percentage of vote: 55.81%

2. Three Days! (19 votes [44.19%])

Percentage of vote: 44.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

Some think 3 days. Some think 5 days.

Almond Joy has nuts. Mounds don't.

#2 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

Psssssssh... Man, I don't know.

Five days gives me enough time to write up some new material without having to worry about someone beating me to the punch so... I'm gonna go with five days.

-Rakai'Thwei

#3 Peypeypeypey

Peypeypeypey

The truthiness will set you free

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

I like the 5-day option, mainly because I can't really get on too much during the week, and by the weekend, the fights are already down

#4 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

I'm actually on the fence with this one.

A five-day option allows more time for readers to ponder on, rate, and vote on a match. However, the three-day option would allow the lower-ranked users to potentially build their F.P.A.'s up more quickly.

So, I'm on the fence here.

#5 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:30 PM

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think the three day option is best.

#6 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:09 AM

Heh, this vote may go on for awhile...

#7 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

The Light In The Darkness

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts
  • Interests:See About Me page.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:24 AM

I like the 5-day option, mainly because I can't really get on too much during the week, and by the weekend, the fights are already down

I'm kind of on the fence, but I'd like to point out something here. If the match is started on a Monday, it'll still end before the weekend. Just saiyin. :P The only way to have them stay up long enough to last through the weekend, would be to extend the time they're up to a week.

Though, like DSkillz said, the longer the matches stay up, the longer it will take for new members to rank up. And if they want to do a 3x3 match, they'll be waiting awhile, and may even lose interest before they get there.

#8 xLEGACYx

xLEGACYx

King of Kings

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts
  • Interests:manipulating the minds of inmates

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

I agree with DSkillz on both accounts. a happy medium would be 4 days though.

#9 leroypowell3

leroypowell3

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:08 PM

4 days actually would be acceptable now that you mention it. But that's kind of a weird number so I don't see that happening. I like 5 days gives me time to get to reading stuff and think it over and debate. I think newcomers would benefit from that aspect too, probably even more so than building their FPA. Most people, I'm sure, would rather seem a lot of views and votes and comments than a high FPA.

#10 Culwych1

Culwych1

Official Match Board Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

Hmmm, this is a tough one. I think the 3 day turnaround is a bit more dynamic and can allow fav characters to be reused quickly. On the other hand the writers who take their time to create good matches do like to see their setups around for longer to attract more votes.

Impartial opinion is to consider what would be best for CBUB and that would be the 3 day turnaround. More chance of attracting new users, quicker progression via FPA and quicker turnaround of favourite characters. Vote: 3 days!

#11 kainboa

kainboa

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:57 PM

Personally, I think the 5 day model would be better, but I shall gladly admit that I am looking at it merely from a debating point of view, 5 days gives more views to an active match, and allows for a longer period of time to let a debate go on, possibly allowing you to convince your opponent that your point of view is the correct one.

However, from a writing point of view, I can see both good and bad things about it, It would allow the writers a longer time to think up the next match in an arc, if they have one in mind, however they would progress slower through the FPA system.

In the end, I think the main reason why I'm voting for the 5 day model, is because if the various users need to wait 5 days for their points to return to them, hopefully they will think a bit more about the matches they submit, and thus the quality of the matches will rise.

#12 Peypeypeypey

Peypeypeypey

The truthiness will set you free

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

I'm kind of on the fence, but I'd like to point out something here. If the match is started on a Monday, it'll still end before the weekend.

Yeah, but I can see fights that started at any time past Monday. I never said it was perfect.

#13 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:05 AM

I am gone go with 5 days here with the way setups are now. People now can take there time to do a setup if they don't immediately post one right away and it gives people enough time to vote on matches as well as give there comments.

#14 Shadow Flesh

Shadow Flesh

The Nightcrawler of CBUB

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, brilliant and cult-classic Movies, Mixed Martial Arts, and Gaming.

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:52 PM

The people just finding out about this site might gain more interest with the speed of matches only lasting 3 days before newer ones come out, but on a writing and debating stand point I have to vote for the 5 day turnaround because it gives more time to research the characters, make solid debates, and gives the writer both time to think about their next matches and pressure to work harder on set-ups knowing it'll be up longer. It also gives newcomers time to have the vets chime in on more matches and give them a push in the right direction if needed.

I say 5-days

#15 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

Wow. This poll is staying close, and I haven't even voted yet.

If this poll closes at a tie, a compromise may have to be made.

#16 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:48 AM

At the time I came in to do some maintenance, 5-days was ahead. So, I guess it is 5 days.

The points it takes to buy off an FPA will still return after three days, though.

#17 Z451

Z451

Kneel before Zed

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts
  • Interests:Superheroes, Supervillains,
    Superhumans.

Scfi, Fantasy and Mystery, and everything in between.

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:34 AM

Fox, I had a thought. Would it be possible for the match creator to choose how long they'd like to have the match run until? Like a new match creating option per say.

#18 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:56 AM

Fox, I had a thought. Would it be possible for the match creator to choose how long they'd like to have the match run until? Like a new match creating option per say.

Everything is possible! But today's minor update was probably the last I will be doing on the CBUB website for awhile - excluding any required bug fix.

#19 Classic80s

Classic80s

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • Interests:Invincible Metal

Posted 24 June 2012 - 02:52 AM

How about giving the match creator the option of whether or not they would like a 3 day run or a 5 day run. Like, when you post the match, select which option you'd prefer.

Best of both worlds!

#20 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:28 PM

Already been decided, man. Check the posts here.

And next time, check the actual date of the last post to make sure the topic isn't old. EF's old thread necro bug is apparently back in effect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users