• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#101 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

What am I asking for? Any indication that the Predator in this matchup could win this fight, you know, kinda what ANYONE in a debate asks for. So far, you haven't given me that.

In this match up, all there are simply guesses because the writer wrote this match up very poorly. He has admitted that he knows nothing of either characters, he has admitted his own biased (but then again, what side ISN'T biased?) decision without any forethought or reasoning, and has left a lot of readers on both sides to guess to what either contenders of what each character could do. I did not write this match up, so you're going to have to either ask the kid yourself, and I would like to say that he knows not much of either character, or we could go around in circles here.

Had I written this match up (not that I would considering that it's been done to death, and no one gets anywhere in matches like these), alot of people would've had a lot more to work with on both sides, I would've given more weapons, more physical statistics and level of gear for what a Yautja is capable of and in possession of, and maybe you would've had your answers here.

In this match up, written by your average kid who cannot spell, or doesn't even bother to use spell check, we are left only to guess certain things and most people here are going off of the films. I assume you're going off the films. Me...I'm in the minority because I have read the expanded universe material, and I doubt alot of people here on CBUB, or ElectricFerret here, overall have done that.

I don't know how much of the Alien vs. Predator franchise you know, Sid. And I have a feeling that you just don't quite care to know, or rather don't want to learn. As a matter of fact, I could say that there are a lot of things that you don't care to learn that any opposing side (not just restricted to Predator) has to offer to the table.

Again, it doesn't matter if you don't think Wolverine should have won those fights for whatever reason, he did, and he does these kinds of feats on a regular basis, so its not PIS. Predator is just fighting someone way beyond his league.

And I have trouble in seeing how he could've accomplished any of those particular victories. Really, I'm just not seeing it and have a very hard time in believing that Wolverine has rightfully won those victories. As you said, Wolverine is a pretty badly formed character who so happens to have an insanely large fanbase, and I would think that those victories were achieved under the Worf effect trope.

Again, we don't know anything about this Predator (Yautja or Hish-- author hasn't mentioned either since he doesn't know either mythos), so we are left to assume. I'm assuming that this is a Yautja, but if it were a Hish, I'd say that Wolverine would win against a Hish. The Yautja have a built up mythos and continuity as they were originally hailed from the AvP mythos back in 1989 when Chris Warner and Randy Stradley created the idea of Alien vs Predator.

In short, the author has made this a guessing game. I'm assuming this is a Yautja, and I could be wrong in my assumption because this Predator could also be from John Shirely's Hish mythos from Forever Midnight and Flesh and Blood.

Wolverine and Spider-Man have never fought outside of a sparring environment.

So why bring it up?

Besides, spider-Man could easily beat a Predator anyway.

Off-topic, but I can assure that I might be writing a match up like that within my own Predator arc on the CBUB as soon as I get back to writing it out. And I can assure that you would have an entirely different ball game right there considering that this is someone who has a vast knowledge on the opposing side writing something with material that you are uninterested or not as well versed in.

In the CBUB, anything goes and more often than not it entirely depends on the set up. See, this is your run of the mill average fanfiction write up... But when you get someone who has a fair knowledge or has done research on their characters, takes the time to write a logical and detailed set up... Whole different ball game, Sid. It's a whole different ball game.

-Rakai'Thwei

#102 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

As far as I am concerned the Predator most likely from the setup was studying Wolverine as Wolverine tried to track him. The Predator already has his cloaking device activated which is a good thing. Wolverine may still be able to fight him somewhat cause of his senses but he is still going to have a hard time. The Predator may have already scanned Wolverine's body when he was studying Wolverine when Wolverine was tracking him down. The Predator is actually pretty damn fast so it could avoid attacks from a charging Wolverine easy. I think the Predator simply once again blasts Wolverine a couple of times to wear him down in the fight. I think the Predator is smart enough combat wise, skilled, and experienced to deliver a fatal blow to Wolverine for the win. If not the Predator could use one of his powerful weapons to KO Wolverine.

Either way from what I see in the setup the Predator already has a advantage cause he was already studying Wolverine most likely while Wolverine was trying to track him, has already attacked successfully, and has a Wolverine more then likely pissed off which is a good then as he is charging toward him.

Predator wins in my view.

#103 batmanKing989

batmanKing989

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:batman, videogames, tv, comics

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

As far as I am concerned the Predator most likely from the setup was studying Wolverine as Wolverine tried to track him. The Predator already has his cloaking device activated which is a good thing. Wolverine may still be able to fight him somewhat cause of his senses but he is still going to have a hard time. The Predator may have already scanned Wolverine's body when he was studying Wolverine when Wolverine was tracking him down. The Predator is actually pretty damn fast so it could avoid attacks from a charging Wolverine easy. I think the Predator simply once again blasts Wolverine a couple of times to wear him down in the fight. I think the Predator is smart enough combat wise, skilled, and experienced to deliver a fatal blow to Wolverine for the win. If not the Predator could use one of his powerful weapons to KO Wolverine.

Either way from what I see in the setup the Predator already has a advantage cause he was already studying Wolverine most likely while Wolverine was trying to track him, has already attacked successfully, and has a Wolverine more then likely pissed off which is a good then as he is charging toward him.

Predator wins in my view.

ok you got me reconsidering wolverine, maybe wolvie loses but he wouldn't die, he can't because the healing factor, i mean he'll heal, it dosn't matter how long he'll be back and most likely go after predator until he wins

#104 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

Wolverine can die. Me and Rakai posted ways he could die already.

#105 batmanKing989

batmanKing989

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:batman, videogames, tv, comics

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

Wolverine can die. Me and Rakai posted ways he could die already.

ok lets do this then-

STRENGTH

tie

SPEED

preadtor

SMELL

tie

HEALING

wolverine

HAND TO HAND COMBAT

wolverine

WEAPONS

preadator

INTELLIGENCE

let's face it wolverine is a centimeter smarter

#106 Djgambrell

Djgambrell

Meh.

• Members
  • 5,989 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

ok lets do this then-

STRENGTH

Predator

SPEED

preadtor

SMELL

Wolverine

HEALING

wolverine

HAND TO HAND COMBAT

tie

WEAPONS

preadator

INTELLIGENCE

Depends

Fixed.

#107 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:44 PM

<p>

ok lets do this then-

STRENGTH

Predator

SPEED

Predator

SMELL

Wolverine

HEALING

Wolverine

HAND TO HAND COMBAT

Wolverine

WEAPONS

Predator

INTELLIGENCE

Depends on the Predator

Thought I'd fix that for you.

#108 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

ok lets do this then-

STRENGTH

Predator

SPEED

Predator

SMELL

Equal

HEALING

Wolverine

HAND TO HAND COMBAT

Varies

WEAPONS

Varies

INTELLIGENCE

Varies

Really, there are too many variables.

And to spell, please.

-Rakai'Thwei

#109 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:07 PM

You're damn right I don't care to learn about Predators, to me they are a wholly uninteresting bunch of "characters" (I use that term loosely).

Why would I bring it up? You're the one who brought it up when you said that spider-Man beats Wolverine on a regular basis, which is false.

I doubt it matters whether this thing's a Yajuta or a Hish, Wolverine could beat either one. Besides, if your knowledge of Predators is so vast, you could infer what the author means when he says its "an average Predator".

PS- I'm surprised you didn't stand up for the Xenomorphs on the Krogan vs. Xenomorphs thread.

#110 Callisto

Callisto

Goddess

• Administrators
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Match Final Results
Wolverine: 1
Predator: 0

#111 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

You're damn right I don't care to learn about Predators, to me they are a wholly uninteresting bunch of "characters" (I use that term loosely).

And that's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. The feeling is mutual for the case of Marvel Superheroes, but at least I am respectful enough to the opposing side to see what it is that people see in them and actually admire them for. I try and actually learn about the characters.

Actually, if you read my statement regarding this point, I said not restricted to Predator only... I seem to recall that you didn't care about learning about characters from TMNT as well.

Why would I bring it up? You're the one who brought it up when you said that spider-Man beats Wolverine on a regular basis, which is false.

Then tell that to the other Marvel fans who frequent that statement on this site.

I doubt it matters whether this thing's a Yajuta or a Hish, Wolverine could beat either one. Besides, if your knowledge of Predators is so vast, you could infer what the author means when he says its "an average Predator".

No, it does matter whether the author states that this is a Yautja or a Hish. As a matter of fact, every CBUB match and rumbles that has ever existed solely depends on the set up to affect an outcome. It also provides both opposing sides with material to work with in order to debate quite orderly and with clearer points from both sides. When it comes to written crossovers like this, a set up can be written to perhaps help decide the outcome of any match as far as straight up fights go. It's all in the little details, as well as other variables which might've been stated in each and any possible set up.

This is a fundemental part of writing CBUB matches over all. Any CBUB match, as long as it's properly written, unlike this set up here... might affect many outcomes in favor of any character be they Marvel, DC, Capcom, AvP, TMNT, Namco... Etc, etc.

Also I find it that you think that it's convenient that the author's bearings on this match up lead to any indication of this Predator being a Yautja or Hish. From my understanding, this is an author who knows nothing of the Expanded Universe as well as the different timelines and continuties of either the AvP or PREDATORS franchises-- I'd go as far as to say the kid is unreliable.

PS- I'm surprised you didn't stand up for the Xenomorphs on the Krogan vs. Xenomorphs thread.

I may have a sufficient knowledge of the Xenomorphs as well as their life cycles, but I am no Xenobiologist. I only know what they are physically capable of, what their life cycle and gestation process is, their Hive like mind and matriarch and the evolution of said Matriarch...

But I know when my side loses fights.

-Rakai'Thwei

#112 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

As developed as the Yautja's sense of smell is, it's not on par with Wolverine's. Wolverine is able to tell the exact positions and movements of a large group of people standing in a room, by smell alone... a day after said people have left the room.

Additionally, I would like to point out that Wolverine has, twice, survived a nuclear explosion without any sort of mystical upgrade. The first was in Hiroshima, as depicted in the Logan miniseries; the second was during some stupid storyline in the first Venom monthly series.

Finally, the whole "Wolverine wins because he's faced stronger" argument makes no sense. Wolverine holds his own against the likes of Hulk because the image of a feral man with claws facing off against a towering green monster looks good on the cover page; the reason Wolverine isn't one-shotted in those fights is because Marvel doesn't want the epic clash between two of their flagship characters to end in a few panels. How a fight between Hulk and Wolverine should go was shown in the X-Men's World War Hulk crossover: Wolverine's brain was simply pulverized by the force of the Hulk's blows.

Besides, even if such battles were counted, they wouldn't be relevant to this debate. Just because Wolverine faced off against Hulk, doesn't mean he's guaranteed a win against the Predator. If you're gonna count Wolverine's high-end feats, you should count his low ones as well (being beaten down by Punisher with a baseball bat, getting one-shotted by Captain America, being made a fool of by Cyclops, etc).

#113 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

As developed as the Yautja's sense of smell is, it's not on par with Wolverine's. Wolverine is able to tell the exact positions and movements of a large group of people standing in a room, by smell alone... a day after said people have left the room.

Additionally, I would like to point out that Wolverine has, twice, survived a nuclear explosion without any sort of mystical upgrade. The first was in Hiroshima, as depicted in the Logan miniseries; the second was during some stupid storyline in the first Venom monthly series.

Finally, the whole "Wolverine wins because he's faced stronger" argument makes no sense. Wolverine holds his own against the likes of Hulk because the image of a feral man with claws facing off against a towering green monster looks good on the cover page; the reason Wolverine isn't one-shotted in those fights is because Marvel doesn't want the epic clash between two of their flagship characters to end in a few panels. How a fight between Hulk and Wolverine should go was shown in the X-Men's World War Hulk crossover: Wolverine's brain was simply pulverized by the force of the Hulk's blows.

Besides, even if such battles were counted, they wouldn't be relevant to this debate. Just because Wolverine faced off against Hulk, doesn't mean he's guaranteed a win against the Predator. If you're gonna count Wolverine's high-end feats, you should count his low ones as well (being beaten down by Punisher with a baseball bat, getting one-shotted by Captain America, being made a fool of by Cyclops, etc).

...Methos, is that you?

-Rakai'Thwei

#114 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

That seems like good ole Methos if it is him. Oh and yea Spiderman does beat Wolverine most of the times. Wolverine maybe has won twice. Thats it. Although thats besides the point and not important.

#115 Guest_AvP_*

Guest_AvP_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

Heh, nah, it's just me. For some reason I'm being logged out whenever I try to post.

#116 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

LOL you came off as Methos in that post.

#117 Dr. Pymp(mex)

Dr. Pymp(mex)

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:37 PM

It's not about Logan winning because he has faced with people stronger, it's because of his actual powers.

If you all recall, Logan's healing has been shown to fluctuate, but on average(after he was called Patch) his powers have been way higher than what they were.
How many stories have I read where his intelligence has come in handy, Logan has tangled with omega red and survived for this reason.
Logan is a master tracker, all around great warri

#118 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

What's up with the virtually non-existent vote turnout on these Rumbles? Either votes are tabulated differently here or almost nobody's voting.

...Methos, is that you?

Nah, Methos has a lot more unnecessary commas in his posts. :P

Heh, nah, it's just me. For some reason I'm being logged out whenever I try to post.

You'd probably better shoot FoxFingers an e-mail, in that case. In the meantime, it looks like a certain Bug Forum topic needs a bump...

#119 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

I think no one is voting because they thought Rumbles would not have the voting option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users