- - - - -

A word on "thread necromancy"

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_anu_*

Guest_anu_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

MOD EDIT: DSkillz here. Before you guys possibly jump on anu for trying to put the spotlight on this again, I'm the one that created this topic. I just moved the first two posts here from another thread. Moving posts is just funny like that.

Thank you.

There is no rule that we can't comment on a battle regardless of age. I didn't do anything wrong by putting a comment in. If this is a rule then my suggestion is that old threads automatically be closed if this is going to cause a problem around here. If it is in the guidelines then show me.

I am not trying to start any arguments here yet again I dont see what the problem is. If there is an OFFICIAL rule not to put a comment in on a old battle then please post it and send that information to all the members so we know. I have not seen such, it seems to be a 'personal preference' not a given rule.

Forgive me yet again, I don't see anything in the rules that state this so please by all means correct me if I missed it. Someone else AVP commented, are you talking to him too?

Really I think there needs to be some revamped rules if this is going to be a problem or again, lock the threads after a certain date. Overall if we have a right to speak here we should be able to comment on any thread we want regardless of how old it is. If someone wants to skip over it they should. What is wrong with being able to speak? We have rights ...

Again not trying to start problems with anyone yet I just seriously do not see what is wrong with commenting in a thread.

#2 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

There is no rule that we can't comment on a battle regardless of age. I didn't do anything wrong by putting a comment in. If this is a rule then my suggestion is that old threads automatically be closed if this is going to cause a problem around here. If it is in the guidelines then show me.

No, there's nothing written in the guidelines against posting in old topics/matches, but the guidelines themselves are in serious need of an update. For example, multi-accounting is one of the biggest offenses at EF (and is often bannable), yet there's no mention of it in the guidelines, either. Updating the guidelines is more or less up to the admins. Until they do that, instead of going strictly by the guidelines as the full word of the law, one has to rely on what he/she is told from the other, more experienced members (and I know for a fact that you've been told how things go here more than once).

Reviving dead threads is bad form, generally because those threads died for a reason. Why rehash old (and sometimes nonsensical) discussions that are going absolutely nowhere? Just start a new topic/match on the matter if you feel the need to discuss/debate the matter further or (in what's usually the better option) leave it alone.

A good example of this is the old Superman vs. Hulk ghost match. The original match itself was badly written in the first place, and upon archival, it left a "ghost" version of itself on the Battles Page that people still felt compelled to post in. The match itself was nowhere to be seen in that ghost match, but people still kept posting in it. I often posted the real link to the original match to show how pointless it was to keep discussing it, yet people still kept posting in it. At some point, the discussions devolved into a bitchfest that carried on and off for weeks and months. So, when I became mod and saw the whining and insults continue, I thought it best at that point to just close the thread and end it.

So, next time, instead of reviving old threads to discuss/debate something, start a new thread/match on the matter and, better yet, put a new, creative twist on it. Otherwise, just let it go.

There are some exceptions to this, though, at least as far as I'm concerned. If a thread is very helpful and/or informative, it may be fine for a user to post in it and bump the thread back up to the top of the forum. It could possibly turn out to be useful for veteran or new users who need help or want to ask about the thread's subject at hand. In fact, I've let "thread necromancy" in threads that seemed to be on more than a few occasions.

So, threads that can help people with site matters may be fine to "bump up". Threads that feature old debates on matchups and whatnot are usually best just left alone and instead be reintroduced by way of a new thread.

Forgive me yet again, I don't see anything in the rules that state this so please by all means correct me if I missed it. Someone else AVP commented, are you talking to him too?

I'm referring in general to anyone that commits or contributes to "thread necromancy". There's just no need for it, especially on a site that's supposed to be fostering writing creativity and new ideas and twists on matchups.

Besides, comments like this:

Not so yet..oh well...guess I got the last word on this one..

...are essentially just saying "I told you so". There's nothing creative or constructive about it, and it's just begging for others to respond in retaliation. Honestly, it could be considered trolling. Try not to do those "I told you so" posts in the future, OK?

And for everybody else, please don't respond to posts like that, as things could escalate from there, and that just makes things that much harder on the mod team.

Thank you.

#3 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:17 AM

*sigh*

I don't get paid enough for this... :P

I created this topic and moved the first two posts you see into it.

#4 Z451

Z451

Kneel before Zed

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts
  • Interests:Superheroes, Supervillains,
    Superhumans.

Scfi, Fantasy and Mystery, and everything in between.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:36 AM

*sigh*

I don't get paid enough for this...

I created this topic and moved the first two posts you see into it.

You'll be getting a fancy Jury Duty announcement in two weeks Mr. Skillz. :P

#5 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:43 AM

It is an unwritten rule, expected to be followed by everyone smart enough to not post on a thread that hasn't been active for a month or two or more.

#6 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

[sarcasm font]I demand a rule that says I can't come on here and show pictures of my grandparents naked. There's no rule? I thought not....pictures coming![/sarcasm font]

#7 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

Posted Image

Moral of the Story: Thread Necromancy - It's a common knowledge no no.

#8 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

The Light In The Darkness

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts
  • Interests:See About Me page.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:58 AM

Pretty sure that would be over the PG-13 rating, Treach. Feel free to put it in the Adult section. :P

#9 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

:blink:

#10 Z451

Z451

Kneel before Zed

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts
  • Interests:Superheroes, Supervillains,
    Superhumans.

Scfi, Fantasy and Mystery, and everything in between.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Pretty sure that would be over the PG-13 rating, Treach. Feel free to put it in the Adult section.

Damn it Rob, don't give him ideas :P .

#11 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

:o Too late!

#12 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

GAH! My eyes cannot unsee what they have seen!

#13 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:02 PM

Muaahaahhahahahaaaa!

#14 Square Pickle

Square Pickle

I'm a Jim Cornette guy

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Interests:Electricferret.com

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

Pretty sure that would be over the PG-13 rating, Treach. Feel free to put it in the Adult section. :P

I keep hearin about the adult section, but is that an actual part of EF? If so, I wanna know where, so I can escape from the PG-13 from time to time.

#15 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

I keep hearin about the adult section, but is that an actual part of EF? If so, I wanna know where, so I can escape from the PG-13 from time to time.

Check here: http://www.electricf...showtopic=25563

And PM an admin (FoxFingers, treach, or Landon) if you're at least 18 and want in.

#16 Square Pickle

Square Pickle

I'm a Jim Cornette guy

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Interests:Electricferret.com

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

Check here: http://www.electricf...showtopic=25563 And PM an admin (FoxFingers, treach, or Landon) if you're at least 18 and want in.

Ill be darned. It was real. lol. Ill send a PM to Double F to get in. Does it appear on the forums or is on an entirely different section of EF? Ive never seen the 18+ section of the site before.

#17 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

Yep, it appears on the forums page with all the others. Just wait and see.

#18 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

I wonder who all is in the Adult section. You don't really know unless they happen to post...

#19 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

Ehehehehe, I liked how you were traumatized by Treachy. ^_^

#20 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

• CBUB Match Judges