• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:13 AM

Congratulations to DSkillz and to the runner ups. Also, I'd like to say thank you all for participating, and I hope you all participate again. Also, I'll post my scores and thoughts on everyone's set up. Mind, my scores were not as structured as treacherous', I kinda went with "gut feeling".

Shadow Flesh: Nemesis vs Big Daddy:
4 out of 5
Quite enjoyed it, no spelling errors and a great set up (I didn't recognize who and what Ryan Industries was for a while till my brain kicked in). The set up is nice and believable, though I do think the "rivalry" (between the Nemesis and Big Daddy... or maybe between Wesker and Ryan) is, well not all that great. Maybe they would opposse each other on ideological grounds (Umbrella and Ryan I mean), but then so would alot of other fictional groups.

FoxFingers: James Bond vs Doctor Girlfriend:
3 out of 5
I don't really, this set up didn't really draw my attention, probably because it was in the "announcer commentary" type of deal. That said, from what I know of both characters (or from what I can gather from Dr. Girlfriend) is they are almost gender flipped mirrors of each other, so the idea of seeing who would seduce who is potentially awesome. I would have given this a 4 out of 5 based on potential, but I feel I should grade what's here. Not what potentially would have been there.

bigballerju: Dracula vs Winchester brothers:
5 out of 5
My favorite entry so far. Sure, there were some grammar errors (mainly, I felt he should have spaced out dialogue instead of including it in the paragraph like that, a few sentences that could have used commas) but I loved it. The idea of the two Winchester brothers facing down Dracula himself is something I would have expected straight out of the show (I don't know if it occured in the show or not though... it might have for all I know). The fact that it was also long enough to warrant paragraphs is a plus in my book. I dislike short set ups that are done in a few sentences.

Square Pickle: Riddler vs Sherlock Holmes:
3.5 out of 5
There were a few grammatical errors and story flow problems (for instance, Holmes having brain cancer while earlier in the set up it implied he was just dying of old age, the dialogue being written in script form, Holmes having to prove he's Holmes instead of just saying he's Scotland Yard, Holmes taking the cryo-freezing so easily... the cryo-freezing in the first place). The set up was imaginative, and reminded me alot of Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century, and the two main combatants, I felt, were chosen quite well.

LoneWolf: Angela (Spawn) vs. Illidan Stormrage:
3 out of 5
I would have given this a 4, I thought it was well written, descriptive and all that but the actual rivalry was pretty weak in my opinion. Ok, they are fighting because one is an angel and the other a demon... but any reason beyond that?

The Seeker of Stuff: Son Goku vs. The Blob:
4 out of 5
I feel kinda wierd giving this a 4 out of 5 because its so silly, but I gave it that 4 out of 5 because its so silly and it works. Both characters, I thought, have plausible reasons to enter this eating contest (though I guess one could argue that it's a pretty big asspull for Blob to end up on DBZ Earth). It might not be high epic prose, but it works.

Darkender: Eragon vs. Professor X:
3 out of 5.
The only reason I didn't give this a full 5 is because I felt that there was no real set up to the fight between Eragon and Prof. X. They are just kinda doing their own thing and then BAM! suddenly they fight.

ScrewAttackFan25: Johnny Cage vs. Mr. Hercule Satan:
4.5 out of 5
Again, I would prefer if people seperated dialogue from their main text, but I guess it's a formating error (or they don't remember that lesson in English class). It's a good solid entry, with an actual believable in character rivalry between the two (luckily I just happened to be reading Johnny Cage's MK wiki entry last week to see his personality).

JohnnyChany: The Charmed Ones vs. The Weird Sisters:
4 out of 5
Like I said, I don't quite like the sphagetti style of writting (single lines with no paragraphs), that said though, this was pretty good. I unfortunately don't know anything about either characters beyond catching one or two episodes of Charmed and knowing the story of King Arthur, so I can't judge that... but the settings seem like they'd mesh well I think.

Z451: Anaconda vs. Python:
3.5 out of 5
I might be in the wrong here, but I don't really get this set up. Cicero and Catiline would have been really good opponents anyway, but then for some reason their pet snakes are going at it?

Shockwave: Vampire Batman vs. Alucard:
4 out of 5
The idea is cool, Alucard being sent to get Vampire-Batman (I had no idea this existed) under control so that the other Justice League members don't have to kill him. A bit on the short side, though at least it's a cool story, no grammar mistakes.

Peypeypeypey: The Daleks vs. Reapers:
4 ouf ot 5
This would have been my favorite match, but I felt it fell short. Thane suddenly knows the Doctor and Amy time traveled (even though no such thing is possible in Mass Effect) no one really cares how they got on the ship, no one questions what a TARDIS is, etc. And then, for wahtever reason, the Doctor just kinda bails on the Normandy. The Reapers showing up out of nowhere is pretty odd too... the Daleks, not so much. It's a shame, because it could have been awesome. Still though, what is there is quite good.

DSkillz: Santa Claus vs. Apokolips:
5 out of 5
Scratch that, this is my favorite entry so far. I love all of it

#22 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:19 AM

EDIT: Ignore this post. Wierd formatting errors with the previous post ended up making me post the same thing twice.

#23 ScrewAttackFan25

ScrewAttackFan25

SPOOOON!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:00 AM

I would like to know your thoughts on my fight: Johnny Cage vs Mr. Hercule Satan.

#24 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:07 AM

Who are you talking to? Culwych, treach or me?

Because I've posted everyone's scores on this page.

#25 ScrewAttackFan25

ScrewAttackFan25

SPOOOON!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:54 PM

To Culwych actually. I wanna hear his thoughts.

#26 Shadow Flesh

Shadow Flesh

The Nightcrawler of CBUB

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, brilliant and cult-classic Movies, Mixed Martial Arts, and Gaming.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

Aww man, I was so close to breaking top 3. But serious congrats to DSkillz and everyone else who entered! Everyone had some really good stories

Also, would like to know what were Treach's thoughts on my match

#27 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

Shadow Flesh – Nemesis vs. Big Daddy
Rivalry – 4 out 5
Confrontation Arrangement - 5 out of 5
Grammar and Spelling – 4 out of 5
Entertainment Value – 4 out of 5
Fighter Parity – 5 out of 5

Overall: 4.4

BigBallerJu – Sam and Dean Winchester vs. Dracula
Rivalry – 5 out of 5
Confrontation Arrangement – 5 out of 5
Grammar and Spelling – 3 out of 5
Entertainment Value – 4 out of 5
Fighter Parity – 5 out of 5

Overall: 4.4

Darkender – Eragon vs. Professor X

Rivalry – 3 out of 5
Confrontation Arrangement – 3 out of 5
Grammar and Spelling – 5 out of 5
Entertainment Value – 5 out of 5
Fighter Parity – 3 out of 5

Overall: 3.8

Darkender, you probably had one of the most well written set ups, but that was it. The character match up was weird, the way they were thrown together seemed odd and the rivalry just wasn't there. These two just aren't characters I see as natural rivals.

#28 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Darkender – Eragon vs. Professor X

Rivalry – 3 out of 5
Confrontation Arrangement – 3 out of 5
Grammar and Spelling – 5 out of 5
Entertainment Value – 5 out of 5
Fighter Parity – 3 out of 5

Overall: 3.8

Darkender, you probably had one of the most well written set ups, but that was it. The character match up was weird, the way they were thrown together seemed odd and the rivalry just wasn't there. These two just aren't characters I see as natural rivals.

Darkender: Eragon vs. Professor X:
3 out of 5.
The only reason I didn't give this a full 5 is because I felt that there was no real set up to the fight between Eragon and Prof. X. They are just kinda doing their own thing and then BAM! suddenly they fight.

Obviously, I don't follow directions well. Thanks guys.

#29 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:27 PM

Obviously, I don't follow directions well. Thanks guys.

No, to me it was more that you had a great set up for Eragon and a good one for Prof. X. (I assume that everyone being mind controlled is a comic storyline, so maybe it makes more sense to other people), it was simply that the reasoning for the fight itself is kinda odd.

I figure that mainly it was people didn't realize that there was no word limit, so they felt they had to write up quick stories that finished in a few paragraphs. Had you added a bit more reason as to why Prof X and Eragon fight, it would have been great.

#30 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

No, to me it was more that you had a great set up for Eragon and a good one for Prof. X. (I assume that everyone being mind controlled is a comic storyline, so maybe it makes more sense to other people), it was simply that the reasoning for the fight itself is kinda odd.

I figure that mainly it was people didn't realize that there was no word limit, so they felt they had to write up quick stories that finished in a few paragraphs. Had you added a bit more reason as to why Prof X and Eragon fight, it would have been great.

Yeah, the original version was getting way too lengthy. I didn't think people would want to read through all that for just a challenge so I trimmed it down.

Don't worry I may be back with a vengence for the next challenge if RL permits.

#31 badpierce

badpierce

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Comics, Football, xbox, Sci fi

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

When does the april challenge start and what's the category?

#32 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

There's a thread going on called the April Monthly Challenge. Check there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users