Square Pickle

I'm a Jim Cornette guy

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Interests:Electricferret.com

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:49 AM

(London, England, October/31/1914)

Sherlock Holmes was enjoying his retirement after years of detective work that brought him much attention from the local public. London even gave him thanks, by making February 20th "Sherlock Holmes Day" soon after his retirement. Now sixty years old, Holmes found life after being a detective to be very boring and challenging. While it gave him multiple chances to best Watson at chess three times a day, it still felt like he should be out in the city solving crimes and bringing the unjust to justice.

Five years later as Holmes lay weak on his death-bed, the British Government knew that they couldn't afford to lose the greatest sleuth in Europe's history without some sort of effort. They decided that the best way to save Holmes was to freeze his body in a hidden facility build beneath Big Ben. As the years past, no one ever heard what became of the greatest detective of the 19th century... until 2011 that is.

(London, England, August/15/2011)

After nearly one-hundred years of being in an icy comma hidden in London's biggest monument, Sherlock Holmes was to be awaken and cured of his brain cancer (using studies found in Dr. Victor Fries's personal files). As Holmes is awaken, he is instantly confused by where he wakes up. He holds his head as it begins to rush pain through out his neck and spine. As the scientists who care for him attempt to explain things, they are cut off by Holmes.

-Doctor Peters: "Sir... I cant tell you how glad we are to see that you have awoken. There were complications during your surgery and...".

-Sherlock Holmes: "And you froze my body to find a cure. Without my permission and without any clue as to how I would react upon being awaken... Am I correct?".

-Doctor Peters: "Well... ".

-Sherlock Holmes: "Judging by the technology you have used to ensure my well-being, I would say Ive been away for over fifty years".

-Doctor Peters: "Yes sir, its been ninety-seven years since you were frozen".

-Sherlock Holmes: "Dr. Watson... Mycroft... Their gone... I am the only one left. My wife died over one-hundred years ago. Why would they do this to me?".

-Doctor Peters: "They did it as a thank you, actually. The British Government wanted to keep you alive for a day when you're needed again, and a cure could be found".

-Sherlock Holmes: "As a thank you? Im one-hundred and fifty-seven years old now. My former life has passed me by. I take this as an insult! Not a thank you!".

As Holmes began to walk out, he stopped himself after remembering what the doctor had said.

-Sherlock Holmes: "So... I am needed on this day? What is it that I am needed for?".

-Doctor Peters: "Im no for certain, but the surgery was paid in full by Wayne Enterprises. If I had to guess, Id say its involving the disappearance of Bruce Wayne".

Sherlock Holmes was giving his signature pipe, hat, and jacket before being released from the facility. After checking through the local news papers, Holmes quickly learned that Wayne was being held at ransom by an American crook known as The Riddler. The demands were that unless Batman could use the clues left at the Gotham City Police Department for him, Bruce Wayne would be killed after the next twenty-four hours.

Holmes quickly contacted the Gotham City Police and told them about his new found connection to Wayne. As he was brought to the US to solve the Riddles, Holmes would try to find out more about this "Batman" and why he left Wayne to die in his time of need. After a few minutes of analyzing the obvious, Holmes concluded that either billionaire Wayne himself was Batman, or Batman simply refused to save the rich playboy being bated to him by The Riddler.

As Holmes arrived in Gotham City, he met with Commissioner Jim Gordon., who gave him the evidence he needed to solved the riddles. A Holmes waisted much time convincing Gordon that he was the REAL Sherlock Holmes, he knew he would need the PD behind him if he was going to get past The Riddlers thugs. Being given only one day to track down Wayne's location, Holmes needed to solve one-hundred complicated riddles and eventually confront The Riddler himself when the time came. Could he save Wayne now that he was a sixty year old man who had been off cases for nearly a year... Scratch that... a one-hundred and fifty-seven year old man, who had been off the job for ninty-seven years. Holmes had his work cut out for him.

(Holmes must solve 100 "Near genius level" riddles within one day. He must then face The Riddler in a fight involving only their signature canes. Can Holmes save Bruce Wayne? Or will The Riddler be the man to finally defeat Sherlock Holmes?).

#2 Callisto

Callisto

Goddess

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:49 AM

Learn More About
The Riddler
Read more about The Riddler at Wikipedia
Official Site: D.C Comics Links: Wikipedia Riddler.batbad The Dark Knight

Sherlock Holmes
Read more about Sherlock Holmes at Wikipedia
Official Site: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Links: sherlockian.net Wiki Page A Study in Sherlock

#3 .Big Game James.

.Big Game James.

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:watching movies, playing video games, writing cbub battles, listening to music, and reading comics...

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:03 AM

mystery to holmes is like riding a bike for us normal folk. lol he will find and save the batman and beat the poop out of riddler. nigma was never a good fighter just strategist and riddle maker. a+ setup tho. good job

#4 Square Pickle

Square Pickle

I'm a Jim Cornette guy

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:08 AM

I was going to use this as my "Challenge entry", but I cant link it to the page. -.-

#5 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

If this was in the 1800s Sherlock Holmes would win easily, but he's out of his element here. Its going to be a lot harder.

#6 LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Comics from the 90's. Movies. RPG's.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

Good match man! I think Holmes will definitely be able to solve the riddles, he was the foremost expert in problem solving using logic. He might lose the physical fight however as he sounds like he is very old in the set-up. One part was slightly confusing, in the middle of the match, the tense changed from past to present, then concluded in the past tense once again.

#7 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:12 PM

Excellent choice of contenders. I would love to see D.C. produce a Holmes v. Riddler graphic novel. The possibilities for the match-up seem endless.

#8 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

Good setup and I think this should have been your entry indeed for the challenge. All you have to do is copy the url of your match and post in in the Match challenge thread.

As far as the match is concerned Sherlock wins as he quickly read up on Riddler, Batman ,and more with Gorden's help on bringing Sherlock up to date on things. Sherlock would just need a brief overview and once thats done he is more then capable of solving the riddles.

#9 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:03 PM

Most of Riddler's riddles need forensic expertise to solve. While Sherlock Holmes was an excellent chemist, and at the forefront of forensic science in the 19th century, his skills might not be enough for a 21st century crime like Riddler's.

#10 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

Interesting match up here, man!

-Rakai'Thwei

#11 Square Pickle

Square Pickle

I'm a Jim Cornette guy

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

Thanks to everyone who liked the match! When I heard the challenge was "natural enemies", 1st thought that came to me, was "Riddler vs Holmes".

#12 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Heh, interesting match-up.

I'd say Holmes' advanced age and lack of knowledge on modern tech could make things tough, but he just may be able to solve Nigma's riddles in time. I don't think an eldery Holmes could hang with Riddler in a physical confrontation, though.

Still, engaging (or pretending to engage) Riddler in cane-to-cane combat may be part of his bigger plan. Sometime before or during the fight, Holmes may somehow give Bruce the opportunity to escape, then Bruce may somehow assist in taking Nigma down.

#13 Guest_Hastur_*

Guest_Hastur_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

Riddler. Holmes is too old for a physical confrontation (esp. if there's goons), and while he'd be able to solve logic puzzles like no one's business, he'll be hamstrung by his lack of knowledge of a century's worth of science, forensics, technology, and culture. Not to mention that he was never any great shakes at astronomy, mathematics, or any other disciplines which he considered useless to a criminologist, AND his criminology studies were focused to be most useful in Britain, and London even more specifically.

#14 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

Dang. Blowout. I expected better of the Riddler.
  • The Riddler: 6
  • Sherlock Holmes: 21

#15 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

Does anyone watch BBC Sherlock? If not, you should. It's great.

#16 Mutantgeek

Mutantgeek

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:American comic books, Science fiction, Fantasy, Cosmic horror, good movies, basketball, classical music, hiphop, alternative rock, drinking, writing, reading, and intense public speaking.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

Riddler should be able to take this, Sherlock Holmes is a good detective but he has deficiencies in certain fields which will prevent him from maximizing his chances of solving Riddler's riddles. Riddler has given the Dark Knight difficulty in the past and given that Sherlock is somewhat out of his element he won't be able to take the Riddler down.

#17 Square Pickle

Square Pickle

I'm a Jim Cornette guy

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

I thought it would be closer too. Riddler got owned. I guess Holmes had is game face on when he came to Gotham... O.o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users