• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

What up what up!!!!

Heh, serge wasn't joking!

Let the anonymous flame wars begin! :P

#22 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

I guess I should mention that Guests can vote on the CBUB matches, also. However, they cannot rate the quality of the match.

#23 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

I guess I should mention that Guests can vote on the CBUB matches, also. However, they cannot rate the quality of the match.

AAARRRRRRGHHH!! >_<;

-Rakai'Thwei

#24 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

Interesting way to attract the masses.

One question, though: will there eventually be a way for us mods (and those that will eventually be elevated back to admin status) to block troublemaking guests from posting and voting if need be?

#25 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

If Guest can seriously vote on matches, than that's just something I... don't like the idea of.

-Rakai'Thwei

#26 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

Interesting way to attract the masses.

One question, though: will there eventually be a way for us mods (and those that will eventually be elevated back to admin status) to block troublemaking guests from posting and voting if need be?

Gee, I'm not sure. I imagine there's something in the Mod toolkit for it.

We're just going to play it by ear and see how it goes I guess.

#27 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

If Guest can seriously vote on matches, than that's just something I... don't like the idea of.

-Rakai'Thwei

Actually that's the way the site operated for most of its history. This closed member-only voting thing has actually been an anomaly. I would like to mention again that only Members can affect your FPA with a Rating though.

The FPL will always have closed voting, most likely.

#28 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:23 PM

Actually that's the way the site operated for most of its history. This closed member-only voting thing has actually been an anomaly. I would like to mention again that only Members can affect your FPA with a Rating though.

I have only been around on the CBUB since 2006 to 2012... And in the years I have been here, I don't recall the guests ever really voting on matches until they registered.

I suppose my greatest fears is that matches will have votes reaching to the 50s - 100s in numbers now as the CBUB did years ago before the last upgrade. I mean that was just a nightmare to see back then, looking back on it now.

-Rakai'Thwei

#29 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

I suppose my greatest fears is that matches will have votes reaching to the 50s - 100s in numbers now as the CBUB did years ago before the last upgrade. I mean that was just a nightmare to see back then, looking back on it now.

Well, we just have different goals is all.

As a webmaster and as somebody who hopes to attract more interest and users to the site (Especially the FPL) I would like to see more of that because it suggests interest. Interest in the match, the contender, the scenario. All that kind of thing.

The current status quo with maybe eleven people voting in any match is my greatest fear.

#30 Djgambrell

Djgambrell

Meh.

• Members
  • 5,989 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

As a webmaster and as somebody who hopes to attract more interest and users to the site (Especially the FPL) I would like to see more of that because it suggests interest. Interest in the match, the contender, the scenario. All that kind of thing.

The current status quo with maybe eleven people voting in any match is my greatest fear.

Rakai's taking it a bit worse than most because he was in the middle of an arc. He is afraid of poor votes for continuation.

#31 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

This I can understand.

I have my own goals on the CBUB as well...

Being a chatroom owner of a website I myself own, I can sympathize and also understand this goal. I would understand the attraction of getting new users to the site and hoping to have more members as well. This something I truly do understand. However I cannot help but be reminded of what the CBUB used to be six years ago.

The status quo. Ha ha... I have my own status quo to meet on the CBUB.

-Rakai'Thwei

#32 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

I like it because people can't use the excuse I don't know anything or know much about character.

#33 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

The Light In The Darkness

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts
  • Interests:See About Me page.

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:23 PM

...What? I don't see how letting guests vote, fixes that...

#34 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

...What? I don't see how letting guests vote, fixes that...

Dude, it's BigballerJu.... What do you expect from him?

-Rakai'Thwei

#35 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

Dude, it's BigballerJu.... What do you expect from him?

-Rakai'Thwei

Ouch.

Will these "Guests" be limited to one vote per IP? I think that's the main issue. Possible vote tampering.

#36 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:47 PM

Will these "Guests" be limited to one vote per IP? I think that's the main issue. Possible vote tampering.

Yeah, but that doesn't eliminate multi-guest votes... I already could think of several ways to abuse the guest voting. Hypothetically speaking of course.

For one, I could go to a computer store nearby, access the site and vote. I could also go over to a friend's house and vote. I could go vote from work. I could vote from the club house computers in the complex I live in. Each would have different IPs.

Not that I would abuse this new system... :angry:

-Rakai'Thwei

#37 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

Yes. Although, you could do the exact same thing with accounts. So, it's really not that different. If the IP addresses were only allowed one vote each, it would at least limit the damage.

#38 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Yes. Although, you could do the exact same thing with accounts. So, it's really not that different. If the IP addresses were only allowed one vote each, it would at least limit the damage.

That is true to a certain extent, but really who would go through the effort of creating different email accounts to make multi-registered accounts?

With Guest Votes, it's that much easier. I mean let's say, hypothetically, the guest votes allowed for multi-votes to happen. Let's say that I decided to abuse the system, I live right next to a clubhouse which has three computers with internet access and it's own internet service provider. I also happen to live right next to a mall which has an Apple/Mac store that also more than likely has it's own internet service provider and IPs. All I would have to do is literally run to the clubhouse and literally run across the street to the Apple/Mac store.

In my opinion, it's THAT easy.

But again, I wouldn't abuse the new and more open system... that's just dishonorable if I actually did that.

-Rakai'Thwei

#39 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

Hmm... I have no intention of doing so either. Though, I'm wondering, do you have to give a real email? I don't recall having to activate my account through my email, when I registered.

#40 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

Gee, I'm not sure. I imagine there's something in the Mod toolkit for it.

Heh, that's right. There are new "Modding" features that I haven't had to use yet. :D

Thanks, serge. You can tell I'm the n00b of the mod team, huh? :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users