• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Comics from the 90's. Movies. RPG's.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:57 PM

Imagine being a hardened felon. In and out of jail or prison since your teens, addicted to crack or other drugs, part of a drug gang etc...

You would have very little fear of Batman. Worst case he beats you then you end up in prison with all your pals currently incarcerated.

I would be more afraid of the cops actually, because they will shoot back at me if I shoot at them...

Here's how I would put it in terms of which caused me the most worry.

Other gangs>Cops>Batman

Imagine thugs sitting in their crack house and a window breaks... Then they're all like "Ahh don't worry guys, it's just Batman.. chill the f out"

#2 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

You got to be kidding.

Couple of things.

1) (Good)Cops obey the law. Batman has no such qualms.

2) Cops need warrants. Batman does not.

3) Cops need guns to be scary. Batman does not.

4) Cops aren't ninjas. Batman is.

#3 LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:05 PM

If I see Batman... and I just put my gun down and give up. He'll just tie me up and leave me for the cops. I might even escape if the cops are incompetent.

If I shoot at him, Ok I'll get knocked out, that would quickly get around as what happens if you shoot at Batman.

Hell, I could even take a hostage, then kill him or her in front of Batman and still maybe just go to the hospital for a bit.

If I was Batman, I'd kill someone in an absolutely horrible way every once and a while so criminals would continue to think I was some creature of the night or other terrifying thing.

Or at the very least disfigure them with some mark.. Like a bat thing on their face.

#4 Square Pickle

Square Pickle

I'm a Jim Cornette guy

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Interests:Electricferret.com

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

If I see Batman... and I just put my gun down and give up. He'll just tie me up and leave me for the cops. I might even escape if the cops are incompetent.

If I shoot at him, Ok I'll get knocked out, that would quickly get around as what happens if you shoot at Batman.

Hell, I could even take a hostage, then kill him or her in front of Batman and still maybe just go to the hospital for a bit.

Its not that simple though. Batman dont go after guys who forgot to signal. He goes after the top dogs. Like Nova said, he's a ninja. I dont care what street gang youre a part of, none of you are safe, when being hunted by a master ninja. He dont follow the law either, while he may not kill you, he will break both of your legs and beat you within an inch of your life. So... Id rather take my chances with the cops and other street gangs. If Batman where real, he would own just like he does in comics. Of course he wouldnt jump from building to building or drive down the road in a "Batmobile". Still, Batman could exist IRL. Take a master of ninjitsu who just happens to be a genious and... There you have it. If those skills met that personality, then a real lif Batman could legit happen.

#5 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:22 PM

Anyone with a gun can be scary. Not everyone can be scary in a bat costume with underoos.

#6 LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

Anyone with a gun can be scary. Not everyone can be scary in a bat costume with underoos.

He doesn't need a gun.. just a fearsome reputation, which he wouldn't have considering how all his foes are back in business the next week.

#7 tomisntblue

tomisntblue

ANNND now for something you'll really like. (It's cookie

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 10,760 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:33 PM

You're missing the point, completely. To explain, let's start in the DC Universe.

For all the years Batman's been around, little is actually known about him. As Dick Grayson said, most people don't even think Batman is human, they think he's some sort of demon, or vampire, or ghost. To the common thug he's a monster. To his reoccurring villains, there's a different kind of fear, and that's the fact Batman's the one person in Gotham that can actually stop their plans.

But let's just focus on the common thug, because if there was a Batman it's unlikely that psychopaths would just appear like they do in the comics. So all these thugs know about Batman is that, he's some sort Gotham myth that goes around, stopping criminals, and operates in the shadows. He could exist anywhere, at anytime, and will beat you to within an inch of your live if you're lucky.
I say, "if your lucky" because if you're under the impression that he's some sort of demon, you probably don't expect him to have a no kill policy. Sure there's a lot of cases where Batman lets criminals live, and you never hear about the ones who die. But if this demon, who lives in the shadows, and is completely shrouded in mystery, were to kill... would anyone know about it?

Now, with that established, let's look at real life. Of course if Batman just popped up in our world you could say, "Well I know Batman won't kill because of the comics". But do you really know that? After all, for all you know it's some psychopath going around, dressing like Batman, who's more than willing to kill anyone who holds up a corner store.
And sure, in the real world most people would assume it's a man. But still, you have a man who's skilled enough to hide anywhere at any given time and stop whatever criminal plan you have. He doesn't need a "search warrant" to get in your house, he'll just bust in an break your legs. He doesn't need to "bring you in for questioning" he'll hang you from the window, and you better pray he doesn't drop you. Pull a gun on him, you don't get a warning, you get a blade in your hand.

And sure you can say, "But after he's been around for so many years and never killed anyone, people would figure it out." And my reply to that is... if a man who lived in the shadows, and was completely shrouded in mystery, were to kill... you'd never know about it.

#8 LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

Considering Batman's extremely long run in crime fighting and the fact that out of the thousands of thugs, mobsters and criminal masterminds he has put behind bars, 99.99% of them are alive and well - It would be comon knowledge that he is actually just a human crime fighter, and one with a no-kill policy.

"What...really? Batman hung you off a skyscraper too? Damn I knew I shouldn't have talked... from what I heard he's NEVER dropped anyone!!!!!!!"

#9 tomisntblue

tomisntblue

ANNND now for something you'll really like. (It's cookie

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 10,760 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

"What...really? Batman hung you off a skyscraper too? Damn I knew I shouldn't have talked... from what I heard he's NEVER dropped anyone!!!!!!!"

Right, that's the thing. From what you heard. But back to my point, if he did kill, you would never hear about it anyway. What you're underestimating in the power of rumors, the way stories get twisted, and how things get exaggerated.

#10 LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

What he needs to do if he doesn't want to kill, disfigure or torture people to make them fear him is this:

BUILT HIS OWN PRISON.

Think about it, keep people alive in the bottom of his cave, in darkness surrounded by bats for a few weeks or months.. they would go crazy ...

When time comes to release them (based on what an average sentence would be), he makes them think they escaped on their own. Voila.. a horrible, fearsome new rep for him!

#11 Soberguy

Soberguy

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

If Batman were real he'd be killed or captured in the first week. Let's look at why:

1) GUNS: In the comics, no one seems able to shoot Batman. The few times it happens, he grunts, shakes off the wound and continues pummelling. In real life, a big guy who likes to fight up close is just asking to get shot, and in real life he can't dodge bullets. If he is shot, he's either down for the count or slowed considerably, making being shot again even more likely.

2) INJURIES: While we're at it, all these injuries Batman shrugs off in the comics would pile up quickly in real life. Concussions would end his career faster than Brett Lindros (look him up, non-hockey fans). Plus, all that leaping, tumbling, falling, swinging and crashing through doors and windows would be a never-ending parade of twisted ankles, bum knees, pulled hamstrings and painful cuts.

3) CSI: Hey, all that blood left at the scene from when that punk popped him in the face and bloodied his nose? That's got DNA in it. Hey, why don't we just follow this blood trail here? Those Batarangs lying around all over the place probably hold a few clues too right?

4) COSTUME: You know what they never show in comics? How a guy gets home without being spotted or followed when he's running around in a batsuit. In this day and age you know what would happen? Every douchebag with a cellphone would be snapping videos of Batman and posting them on YouTube. Calls to the police about some nutjob in a batsuit would be flooding in. Pinpointing his movements or base of operations would get easier and easier over time.

5) BATMOBILE: ...especially if he were driving around in a bat-themed racecar. I mean, every cop on the planet would be giving chase. Police and media copters would be tracking his every move. Yeah yeah the Batmobile is super-fast... what good does that do him in traffic? Even if you gave him five times the probabilty of escape that you would give a normal criminal, he's still going to get caught most of the time.

6) ROOFTOPS: Go outside right now and look at any two tall buildings. How close together are their roofs? See what I'm saying? Rooftops are not a viable means of transportation.

7) COPS: You know what real cops hate? Vigilantes. Between the massive media coverage it would entail and the massive police dragnet they'd start to address it, Batman would be busted inside of a week. Seriously. Every time anyone saw a big dude dressed like a bat, there would be a 911 call and a SWAT team would show up.

8) THE LAW: So let's say Batman isn't horribly killed and manages to catch a criminal kingpin. You know what would happen? NOTHING. Even if he meticulously gathered evidence and left it tied to the beaten pulp that once was the criminal in question, no court would send him to jail. The evidence - gathered by an unknown person who will not testify as to how it was obtained - would be summarily tossed. The only person who Batman would ever get a conviction against is BATMAN.

#12 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

Think about it, keep people alive in the bottom of his cave, in darkness surrounded by bats for a few weeks or months.. they would go crazy ...

It's not like a fair portion of his rogues' gallery is already insane.

#13 thanosisawesome

thanosisawesome

Nuking the site from orbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

You're not afraid of torture? Batman will cut off fingers to save lives.

#14 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:27 PM

You're not afraid of torture? Rorshach will cut of fingers to save lives.

Fixed

#15 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

The Light In The Darkness

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts
  • Interests:See About Me page.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

Fixed

You changed the name, but didn't fix the "of"? :)

#16 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

I'm not his English teacher. Let the world see his foolishness.

#17 LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

Batman doesn't torture...*Physically*

When have you seen him tie a thug up and continue beating him?

He likes to sneak around alot and scare people though. I guess that could be considered 'mental torture' for lawsuit purposes or w/e.

#18 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:34 AM

I'm not his English teacher. Let the world see his foolishness.

What about the rules?

Page 12: General Rules

Now that you memorized our 11 page oath, you are ready to advance to the general rules. Many of these will be explained with greater detail in the next few chapters.

1. You may never ever visit the CBUB. If you do, you will be demoted to a Moderator.

We were joking. If you visit the the CBUB, we will end you. For an depth look at how many ways we can do it, read pages 14-30.

2. You may never ever ever commit a grammar mistake. If you see a fellow Admin commit one, you must quickly edit their post and fix it. If you see anyone else make one, quickly point it out and mock them as best as you can.

3. Bros before hoes. Always.

4. You may never ever ever ever administer a website other than the EF. If you do, you shall lose all your Admin privileges. This includes use of the Admin lounge, use of the Admin concubines, and the tax free Swedish bank accounts.

Or maybe you are too much of a rebel fo' da rulez :)

#19 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts
  • Interests:The Avant-Garde, I Represent

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:06 AM

Anyone with a gun, nightstick, taser, pepper spray, and a reputation for unnecessary brutality can be scary. Not everyone can be scary in a bat costume with underoos.

Edited.

#20 LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 3,287 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:50 AM

Edited.

Cops aren't scary. If you are smart you can be a criminal and they won't look at you twice. It's simple, they smell/sense fear. If you are confident they will leave you alone. As long as they aren't looking for YOU specifically.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users