• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 MarvelFan15

MarvelFan15

May I polish your boots, Marvel Man ?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Frost-Giants, demons, Loki, and DC fanboys. Also: Sports, Movies, Comics, TV, Games (of any sort), books, cars, girls, and Video Games.

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

I concur with methos on the above point. I'd also like to state that being able to finish what you started is worth just as much.

As soon as I crush my procrastination, and am able to complete my writings with regularity, I'll join up with the FPL.

#22 Spytheman

Spytheman

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Interests:Comics: Spider man, Batman, JLA, Daredevil, Punisher, Superman, X men, Deathstroke,<br /><br />Games: GTA, MGS, Resident Evil, Sly Cooper, Infamous, Arkham series,<br /><br />I read fanfictions all the time, and write once in awhile. Maybe one day I'll post a few stories on the CBUB...

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

I'm not afraid! To take a stand! Everybody come take my hand! We will walk this road together, through the storm!

In other words, critiques, bring your worst. When I join the FPL (which will happen eventually) I'm not afraid of criticism. And, if you all wish, we can walk that road together.

#23 Updatedude

Updatedude

Don't feed him after midnight

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:56 PM

Apparently, the way to get better is to challenge yourself. Create and submit a character, and once it takes 3 losses in say, under 8 fights. Consider your character DEAD and write another. But look at your character and see why it did or didn't work. Compare it to the characters it lost to, and see where it came up short. Once you got your own winning formula, you can be like us old timers who just ignore the opinions of the masses and create stuff we want, like, unicorns and velociraptors and ermines, yet somehow still do well in the fights.

#24 thetrekker

thetrekker

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:10 AM

Tried it a long time ago and was utterly blasted out of the water. Of course, this may (just may) be because one character was a one-dimensional POS tribute to PTSD meets Batman, and the other had a paragraph in the description. I swore that the people in the FPL were to good for me and I left to hide in the CBUB.
Fast forward a few months and I finally felt that I had grown a pair (of hands you perverts), and jumped back into it, recognizing many things including "no one gives a shit if your character is a galactus-reincarnate if your background is one line" and "don't try to create a series of characters if you can't even get one off the ground". I hammered away at the keyboard for days and finally produced Yankee Doodle. It was my pride, it was my joy, and deojusto tore him to shreds. I was devastated at the loss, and Yankee Doodle will to this day probably never see the lights of the Khazan Arena.
Disheartened, I returned to the CBUB with dreams in tatters to only find that I no longer had the strength to write even a CBUB match. Saddened, I fell into that deep hole that few return from, the forum.
But now, an epiphany. I had thought myself a strong person who could do the unthinkable and break into the FPL with a winner over just 3 characters. Now, as I searched for the link for Yankee Doodle and read it over one more time I realized he was a degrading piece of merde. I've realized more mistakes. After contrasting the writing styles of many authors of novels and shows, I'm now ready to throw my hat in once more. Not with a character whom I believe will destroy all opposition, but a weakling who will face the criticism and improve upon it. Prepare for the medium-rare fury of Sweeney Todd/Master Thenardier/Chef Ramsey. Prepare for, The French Chef.

Trekdit: Deo, I hope I didn't insult you on this.

#25 Mr. Green

Mr. Green

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Interests:LuLz

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

I've never submitted any FPL characters, although I've made several, all of them unfinished. One character, the most recent, is named Cereus Sirideán, and his Nam Quaerere Flos Lunae, which is supposed to grant one who eats it supernatural abilities. The purpose behind such a quest? To connect every mind on Earth into a giant psychic network.

I'm not going to go into any more details, but most of the details are unwritten and only in my head. I also worry about fitting such a character into the FPL format without messing up the flow of the story. Combined with the fact I often have writer's block, the FPL still eludes my attention. I might give it a shot someday, though.

#26 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

If you do well in CBUB, I don't see you having much trouble in FPL. Your experience there will all boil down to your learning curve. If you did well in the CBUB you most likely are a decent writer and then from there all you need to do is learn the FPL format.

The key to FPL is to keep trying. Every character you make will be better than the last and eventually it'll click, and you'll just get it. Then the fun really starts.

#27 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

So many random new people showing up to FPL these days. I just hope that the Nitty Gritty FPL becomes part of the required reading. All of it!

#28 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:12 AM

My advice to new creators:

Get weird.

I don't mean "woo hoo look at me I'm so wacky I just mentioned cheese, isn't that random?" That's not weird. In fact, don't use random ever again. It's a synonym for "uncreative." Also, you should refrain from mentioning cheese- as it's what people default to when they can't think of anything funny to say.

I don't mean Tom Green "look at me everybody" weird. I'm talking Gertrude Stein Spider Jerusalem Anatomy of a Shithouse Rat Scrawled on the Asylum Ceiling Weird. Mescaline and Gap-Toothed Horse Weird. We've seen some stuff in the FPL, man. We've seen a nightmare crocodile with a matchbox car for a head. We've had a rock, The city of Tokyo, and Nothing at All in the gallery without batting an eye, we've met the living superhero avatar of caffeine addiction, (in his fourth incarnation,) an infinite maze that can only be solved by dancing, and a cactus that just can't find love. Get WEIRD.

Take risks. Screw up big. The only thing you risk is losing, and you're going to lose anyway. Hell, I won my first main event match almost exactly 11 years ago, and I still lose about 1/3 to 1/4 of the time. It's better to go balls-out with some insane idea and have to reel it in a bit, than it is to just get lost in a sea of Punisher ripoffs. In fact, the more like the Punisher your character is, the more you should stop writing this instant and try something else (unless you're Garth Ennis. Hi Mr. Ennis! I loved your comics when I was 16. Or if you're Fred Hembeck, in which case, I have a list of things I need you to sign.)

#29 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:26 AM

Needs more Rhinobaby.

#30 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Somebody took your advice. I'm seeing a Superhouse crossover: http://www.electricf...ts/show?cid=510

#31 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

Somebody took your advice. I'm seeing a Superhouse crossover: http://www.electricf...ts/show?cid=510

Man, re-reading that, taught me I really need to spellcheck better before I submit. Had to redo the whole thing because of 'thrown' and 'throne'. Same character with better grammar but at its new link below
http://www.electricf...ts/show?cid=511

#32 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

Way better than Superhouse, IMO. I laughed the whole way through.

#33 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

Way better than Superhouse, IMO. I laughed the whole way through.

Glad to know I've still got it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users