• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Griffiths

Griffiths

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:51 AM

Hello! My name is Abraham Griffiths, I'm an Assistant Professor of English at a little Liberal Arts School. One of my side gigs (if you will) is helping out with little cryptozoological or unusual mysteries that pop up. Your house is haunted? I go to the library and find out if somebody died there. Cult killings? Detective Joe Blow rings me up and I hit the newspapers from five years ago from the next county over to see if Murder X matches Murder Y.

Not a lot of money in it, but there you go.

I'm working on something now and I was wondering if anybody could help me with it. Specifically, might anybody have any idea what this instrument is?

Posted Image

That's a copy of a picture I found in a journal.

More information on this case can be found here! Maybe we can start making some sense of it together? http://www.electricf...ts/show?cid=484

#2 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

What is that, a mosquito?

#3 Sir Exal

Sir Exal

Still Here, somehow.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Promising myself I'll change and then never doing it.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:28 PM

Well, to start with, as any high-school geometry student knows, 3 4 5 is the Golden Ratio. The golden ratio is visible in nautilus shells...perhaps turtles as well? It is turtles all the way down.

...Is it cheating to google reverse image search the picture?

#4 Griffiths

Griffiths

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

Not being a high school geometry student, the first thing I thought of when I saw it was a date, but a cursory google search later and I figured out the right triangle thing. Easy-peasy. With that in mind ...

http://temenoi.webs....otoid=146632978

"Because of the typical spacing of the resonances, these frequencies are mostly limited to integer multiples"

Again, I'm not a math guy, but based on the picture, and based on the quote (which leads me back to a wiki on 'harmonic series') I'm thinking that 3 4 5 is a reference some mathematics-based music theory (and maybe related to the instrument)?

[[Also, that would be absolutely cheating. :blink: ]]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users