#41 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

The Light In The Darkness

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,740 posts
  • Interests:See About Me page.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

Even before that, almost all the posts were derailment. There was only a few at the start that had anything to do with the set-up and/or match.

Even I didn't say anything on the match itself. I can go around commenting on every match put up saying the set-up was good or what's wrong with it. But if I don't have an opinion on the fight itself, I usually just rate and move on.

#42 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • Interests:Writing,Video games,Sports,women.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

Maybe once, but not anymore.

Good writers with a reputation, might get a few comments in a match with unknown characters, where writers with no rep. would get no comments, but the only way to get several pages of comments(like the matches in Rakai's predator arcs), is to use well-known characters.

I would say a Starkiller vs Alex Mercer or Bobo Fett vs Predator, both these matches with well written setups would get a lot of comments for example.

#43 Z451

Z451

Kneel before Zed

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts
  • Interests:Superheroes, Supervillains,
    Superhumans.

Scfi, Fantasy and Mystery, and everything in between.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:16 PM

Good writers with a reputation, might get a few comments in a match with unknown characters, where writers with no rep. would get no comments, but the only way to get several pages of comments(like the matches in Rakai's predator arcs), is to use well-known characters.

Then why provide links to the characters we add to begin with? It make no sense if people don't bother doing the research on characters they don't know about.

#44 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:30 PM

Then why provide links to the characters we add to begin with? It make no sense if people don't bother doing the research on characters they don't know about.

People are lazy, and for the most part, they can't be arsed researching characters they don't know.

#45 Z451

Z451

Kneel before Zed

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 2,232 posts
    Superhumans.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:34 PM

People are lazy, and for the most part, they can't be arsed researching characters they don't know.

It's surprising though. Granted this is the internet, and a fun website. But what surpises me is how people are lazy enough to not write a set up, skip potentially good matches, because they don't know the characters well enough, etc. This obviously doesn't apply to the people who have posted here. But come on the few things the site asks for aren't that difficult to do. :D

#46 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:02 PM

Let the offical matches die. That part of the CBUB attracts members like the cape.

#47 Z451

Z451

Kneel before Zed

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 2,232 posts
    Superhumans.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

Let the offical matches die. That part of the CBUB attracts members like the cape.

And what would that solve? Sure I've seen cape's escapeds from the past, but I doubt sealing the option of making matches would stop people like him from doing stupid shit.

#48 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

And what would that solve? Sure I've seen cape's escapeds from the past, but I doubt sealing the option of making matches would stop people like him from doing stupid shit.

Who is cape?

#49 Z451

Z451

Kneel before Zed

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 2,232 posts
    Superhumans.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

Who is cape?

http://www.electricf.......69&hl=furry
http://www.electricf.......73&hl=troll
That should answer your question.^

#50 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

Please, that's chump talk. The CBUB doesn't look any different now than it did then. Rakai used to complain about the same stuff four years ago. The only difference now is that you guys have no flair. Marvel Man had the right idea, but no follow through. He had the following, he had the creativity and he has the writing ability. He just happens to be Marvel Man and has no follow through. If I weren't wrapped in the FPL cape, I'd show you scallawags what for.

#51 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

Oh... That guy.

#52 Z451

Z451

Kneel before Zed

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 2,232 posts
    Superhumans.

Please, that's chump talk. The CBUB doesn't look any different now than it did then. Rakai used to complain about the same stuff four years ago. The only difference now is that you guys have no flair. Marvel Man had the right idea, but no follow through. He had the following, he had the creativity and he has the writing ability. He just happens to be Marvel Man and has no follow through. If I weren't wrapped in the FPL cape, I'd show you scallawags what for.

Meh. Come on treachy, not all of our recent matches are bad, I myself, am working towards steadily breaking through the ranks, into not only notieriety, but also among the top match makers of the site. That's gotta account for something right? :D

#53 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

I find it most amusing and almost flattering that I am now a subject in this discussion. :D

Concerning why the CBUB has been slow, I can say that it isn't dying. No, that's a preposterous assumption of things. Absolutely absurd. The reason why CBUB is so slow right now is because of different factors going on. For one, people are more enamored in the inter-active forum and chatroom roleplaying where they can play the characters they know and have them interact in real time situations, second I've said this before, and I'll say it again: IT'S THE HOLIDAYS!

People have interim mid-terms to follow up on, which means time spent on studying and homework. People are going out and looking for things to buy for the friends and families! This is nothing new, nothing to really be so much as worried about.

By January, things should pick up.

-Rakai'Thwei

#54 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

That would be very interesting if you did you that.

#55 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:51 PM

I never said the matches are bad (in this thread). I said they lack creativity. Sirmethos knows debating, I know CBUB success. I'm not talking out of my ass, I'm talking from experience. But, Rakai is right. There are downtimes. Alot of those high comment counts back in the day came from either flame wars (like now) or RPing on the actual fight. I don't think you guys do that anymore. Regardless, I went out of my way to do every damn thing I could think of on CBUB. Every genre, unknown characters, tournaments, arcs...etc. I had more fights completed than damn near everybody. I can't remember what the number was, but it was high. If CBUB is your thing, then you need to go out of the ordinary to fix it and writing about popular characters isn't it. Also, I wasn't the only one. Granobulax, Caeser Speaks, Fenris Wolf, FTang Commando and a whole bunch of others were doing it too. Even Rakai. Hell, it was even competitive with Grano and I. Ken and Ryu we were.

#56 Z451

Z451

Kneel before Zed

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 2,232 posts
    Superhumans.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:54 PM

I never said the matches are bad (in this thread). I said they lack creativity. Sirmethos knows debating, I know CBUB success. I'm not talking out of my ass, I'm talking from experience. But, Rakai is right. There are downtimes. Alot of those high comment counts back in the day came from either flame wars (like now) or RPing on the actual fight. I don't think you guys do that anymore. Regardless, I went out of my way to do every damn thing I could think of on CBUB. Every genre, unknown characters, tournaments, arcs...etc. I had more fights completed than damn near everybody. I can't remember what the number was, but it was high. If CBUB is your thing, then you need to go out of the ordinary to fix it and writing about popular characters isn't it. Also, I wasn't the only one. Granobulax, Caeser Speaks, Fenris Wolf, FTang Commando and a whole bunch of others were doing it too. Even Rakai. Hell, it was even competitive with Grano and I. Ken and Ryu we were.

Essentially I'm trying my hardest. It's not an easy job though, creativity wise it's hard to come up with matches for some characters. Heck some others, are theoretically trapped in a location, making it far more difficult to set things up. But, for everything else, perhaps we do need to spear head a new CBUB league. That way a lot of us can get things back on track.

#57 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

Also, I wasn't the only one. Granobulax, Caeser Speaks, Fenris Wolf, FTang Commando and a whole bunch of others were doing it too. Even Rakai. Hell, it was even competitive with Grano and I. Ken and Ryu we were.

Shit, I remember those guys! Those were pretty cool guys!

Ftang_Commando went inactive because he had and still has college, he says hi to me every now and then on Youtube.

Granobulax had stopped coming onto the forums because his wife had given birth to their daughter. Much blessings to Grano and his family, by the way!

Fenris Wolf.... he still is around when he wants to be.

I'm still around because well... there is something I'd like to see done for once, and I suppose that's why I write up my storylines on the CBUB. Granted right now I am running low on juice and my hands sometimes impede my mood to write due to arthritis, but you know I do my best to continue to do something I like. Sometimes even educating people on characters they don't know about or only saw one incarnation of them.

Ask anyone who Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, Captain America and Wonder Woman are. They'll tell you... Ask them who Scar, Celtic, Chopper, Diablo, Ghost, Broken Tusk are... They're not going to know who they are!

Sometimes I like to educate people on these characters, maybe even encourage them to go out and look for the books they were represented in but often not they don't do it. And granted I am not Marvel or DC savvy but I try and do my best to research the characters. Sometimes even going to the bottom of the barrel with obscure characters like Man Mountain Marko.

Do I write with using popular characters? Pffft... Hardly, and I try to avoid popular characters because of their following. If I write a match up between let's say.... Ryu and Spider-Man, even using Marvel vs Capcom as Gospel (which it isn't) in the set up, people will vote Spider-Man because of his following and others won't know or don't care as to what Ryu can do. Of course, I might be exaggerating.

Shit I don't know what I am even talking about now.

-Rakai'Thwei

#58 MarvelFan15

MarvelFan15

May I polish your boots, Marvel Man ?

• Members
  • 2,639 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Frost-Giants, demons, Loki, and DC fanboys. Also: Sports, Movies, Comics, TV, Games (of any sort), books, cars, girls, and Video Games.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

I'm always coming up with ideas, but am constantly hampered by the fact that I don't log on enough and I can't seem to actually force a set up out of myself. Whenever I do, it's a grand achievement for me, and I celebrate by vowing to be more prolific in my writing and creativity. Immediately afterword, I forgo my vow by indulging in YouTube videos and copious amounts of chocolate cake.

I am, hopever, trying to reinsert my presence among the boards, slowly but surely. A match here, a debate there (assuming that characters I'm familiar with are involved), and ,eventually, some RPing, and I feel I'll be back in tip top EF shape.

Which reminds me: sirmethos, if you could perhaps sign me up for one of your little quickie one-on-one debate threads, I'd be grateful.

Yeah...I'm agreeing with Jaeger.

#59 Z451

Z451

Kneel before Zed

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 2,232 posts
    Superhumans.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:03 PM

Shit, I remember those guys! Those were pretty cool guys!

Ftang_Commando went inactive because he had and still has college, he says hi to me every now and then on Youtube.

Granobulax had stopped coming onto the forums because his wife had given birth to their daughter. Much blessings to Grano and his family, by the way!

Fenris Wolf.... he still is around when he wants to be.

I'm still around because well... there is something I'd like to see done for once, and I suppose that's why I write up my storylines on the CBUB. Granted right now I am running low on juice and my hands sometimes impede my mood to write due to arthritis, but you know I do my best to continue to do something I like. Sometimes even educating people on characters they don't know about or only saw one incarnation of them.

Ask anyone who Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, Captain America and Wonder Woman are. They'll tell you... Ask them who Scar, Celtic, Chopper, Diablo, Ghost, Broken Tusk are... They're not going to know who they are!

Sometimes I like to educate people on these characters, maybe even encourage them to go out and look for the books they were represented in but often not they don't do it. And granted I am not Marvel or DC savvy but I try and do my best to research the characters. Sometimes even going to the bottom of the barrel with obscure characters like Man Mountain Marko.

Do I write with using popular characters? Pffft... Hardly, and I try to avoid popular characters because of their following. If I write a match up between let's say.... Ryu and Spider-Man, even using Marvel vs Capcom as Gospel (which it isn't) in the set up, people will vote Spider-Man because of his following and others won't know or don't care as to what Ryu can do. Of course, I might be exaggerating.

-Rakai'Thwei

No that's right on the money actually. We've had reports of GTA characters dominating others, preferably due to the said fact that the voting users don't bother to look anything up.

#60 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:03 PM

I even tried returning to making matches, it was Darth Vader vs Tartarus. I don't think that many people on here knew Tartarus from Halo 2, but my setup was decent in a way. I tried to stay on character, the setup wasn't too long or short.

It wasn't the best setup, but it was decent.

http://www.electricf...showtopic=21581

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users