What's this? CBUB dying?

Posted Image

#22 Twogunkid

Twogunkid

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • Interests:Comic books, Star Trek, The Trombone, Heroclix, Fencing, Reading, Sculpting, Engineering, and Horticulture

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:11 PM

What's this Treach posting pony gifs? O-O

#23 Djgambrell

Djgambrell

Meh.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,989 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

No. Simply slowing down for a time.

#24 Buzz Line

Buzz Line

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Interests:The behavior and habitat of fauna. History. Cultures. Fiction?

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

Dragon Ball will always be popular here and so will all other classic comic book fight topics(Batman, Wolverine). A lot of members were lost when CBUB transitioned from a stand alone system to part of the electric ferret forum. Dieing out it could be but some proper promoting is all that is really needed to replace the lost members or attract some back. The old format only got popular because it still had the back issues supporting it, even if everyone really did wait 5 years for that Spider-villains vs Bat Villains conclusion. If the current CBUB got something like the back issues inviting nerds from all over the internet to debate some of them would be bound to stick around and start posting their own matches.

In short, it could be dieing but if it is we don't need to do CPR, just PR.

#25 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:09 PM

That time period you guys keep talking about, yeah there were some good writers back then by CBUB standards. You guys need more creative writers and less debates (Flaming). Or more of both (minus the flame). That's just me though.

#26 Djgambrell

Djgambrell

Meh.

• Members
  • 5,989 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

Must... Not... Agree...

#27 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

I changed it a little. I'm not going to be mean...yet.

#28 Djgambrell

Djgambrell

Meh.

• Members
  • 5,989 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

Writing is a bit of a problem. I myself would be writing if I didn't suck at it.

#29 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:19 PM

This goes back to the writing vs. debating thread. Who wants to read "Superman vs. Goku - Who Wins" Five bajillion times? Put these guys in interesting situations, interesting settings and give people something to think about. Create some drama! Tension! Do something besides a fight!?! Do long drawn out tournaments with lots of twists and turns (Points at old self). Creativity is just as important as writing ability. Try styles you've never tried before. Characters you know nothing about. Lovecraft was more creative than he was a writer in a lot of people's opinion. His ideas were quite revolutionary as far as horror goes. Think outside your box sometimes. Come on CBUB! Get it together.

#30 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • Interests:Writing,Video games,Sports,women.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:24 PM

This goes back to the writing vs. debating thread. Who wants to read "Superman vs. Goku - Who Wins" Five bajillion times? Put these guys in interesting situations, interesting settings and give people something to think about. Create some drama! Tension! Do something besides a fight!?! Do long drawn out tournaments with lots of twists and turns (Points at old self). Creativity is just as important as writing ability. Try styles you've never tried before. Characters you know nothing about. Lovecraft was more creative than he was a writer in a lot of people's opinion. His ideas were quite revolutionary as far as horror goes. Think outside your box sometimes. Come on CBUB! Get it together.

I think one reason people have abandoned CBUB is because the creative matches with characters people hardly know about, gets over shadowed by matches like "Superman vs Goku" and those type of setups aren't even that good, but seems rushed.

That's just my thought.

#31 Z451

Z451

Kneel before Zed

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts
  • Interests:Superheroes, Supervillains,
    Superhumans.

Scfi, Fantasy and Mystery, and everything in between.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

I think one reason people have abandoned CBUB is because the creative matches with characters people hardly know about, gets over shadowed by matches like "Superman vs Goku" and those type of setups aren't even that good, but seems rushed.

That's just my thought.

But just as you said, the only reason that match got any notieriety at all was because it was in fact both a forbidden match, and an example of plagiarizing, which is of course agaisnt the rules of the site.

#32 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:35 PM

But just as you said, the only reason that match got any notieriety at all was because it was in fact both a forbidden match, and an example of plagiarizing, which is of course agaisnt the rules of the site.

True.

#33 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

Get this crayon outta my nostril, PLEASE!

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 4,552 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff... And fighting evil.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

Make the league of cbub again!!!!!!

Heh. Yeah, the League's original intention was to spur the CBUB on and create complex yet fun story arcs that involved as many CBUB Writers as possible. It was a cool idea. However, it failed for two reasons:

1. Lack of Leadership - This was totally on me. I announced it and tried to get it flying before the wings had developed. It was a mistake that I should been able to avoid. It was the first time I was in charge of anything here on the EF, and I made some simple newbie mistakes.
2. Time - As we have all seen with RPs, Tournaments, etc, a project on the EF goes through a cycle. First comes the enthusiastic rise in popularity, then comes the harsh reality of the task, followed by a fall in motivation from all involved, and finally death. It has claimed many things, not just on the EF, but online in general. Again, this ties back to my leadership. I used up a lot of time getting things organized (which should have been done before hand) and the League paid the prize.

I learned a lot from the League. It had a lot of creative ideas flowing through it, and people did write matches. If the League were to rise again, I'd definitely plan the whole thing better. I wonder if the support for it still exists though...

People leaving more comments would be a big help

*Ding Ding Ding*

Correct! Someone give this man some money!

Think outside your box sometimes. Come on CBUB! Get it together.

I completely agree Treach. I find it funny though. I've seen you say similar things in the past (The CBUB is still strong inside you). Hopefully people will listen this time.

Now run Treach! The other admins might see you talking to us CBUBers!

#34 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

We should follow the Riot Gear model. Don't write set-ups. Don't spellcheck. Be assholes (moreso than usual). That'll revive the CBUB.

#35 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

One of the problems is that people(now) mainly create matches with characters, that people don't know, or don't care about.

If you want more comments in the matches, then use characters that people know. Look at Rakai's Predator arc's, they get plenty of comments. Why? Because people know the characters, and are thus actually able to comment on the matches.

Another example would be the matches created by Redemption X, the majority of his matches haven't got any comments at all, because people don't know, or don't care about, the characters he uses, but his latest match(Joker vs. Sakura and Hinata), has already gotten 6 comments.

It's kinda sad, but that's how it is. If you want comments on your matches, then use 'mainstream' characters. Characters from Marvel, DC, Star Wars, AvP, Naruto, etc. Universes that people are actually interested in, and have a connection with.

As for the League. While I didn't write any matches for it, I'd definitely support it again. I don't write, but I've got plenty of ideas that can be used.

#36 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

The Light In The Darkness

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts
  • Interests:See About Me page.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:50 PM

Even before that, almost all the posts were derailment. There was only a few at the start that had anything to do with the set-up and/or match.

#37 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

One of the problems is that people(now) mainly create matches with characters, that people don't know, or don't care about.

If you want more comments in the matches, then use characters that people know. Look at Rakai's Predator arc's, they get plenty of comments. Why? Because people know the characters, and are thus actually able to comment on the matches.

Another example would be the matches created by Redemption X, the majority of his matches haven't got any comments at all, because people don't know, or don't care about, the characters he uses, but his latest match(Joker vs. Sakura and Hinata), has already gotten 6 comments.

It's kinda sad, but that's how it is. If you want comments on your matches, then use 'mainstream' characters. Characters from Marvel, DC, Star Wars, AvP, Naruto, etc. Universes that people are actually interested in, and have a connection with.

As for the League. While I didn't write any matches for it, I'd definitely support it again. I don't write, but I've got plenty of ideas that can be used.

This ^^

#38 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

Not that. Once you build writing notoriety up, you can do matches with anybody and people will show interest. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. WRITING IS THE HEART OF THE CBUB NO MATTER WHAT ANY OF YOU SAY!!!

#39 Z451

Z451

Kneel before Zed

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,232 posts
  • Interests:Superheroes, Supervillains,
    Superhumans.

Scfi, Fantasy and Mystery, and everything in between.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

I'm not there yet treach. As far I'm concerned my level is still pretty lower than most of the other regulars. :D

#40 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:13 PM

Not that. Once you build writing notoriety up, you can do matches with anybody and people will show interest. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

Maybe once, but not anymore.

Good writers with a reputation, might get a few comments in a match with unknown characters, where writers with no rep. would get no comments, but the only way to get several pages of comments(like the matches in Rakai's predator arcs), is to use well-known characters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users