I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

There are a couple out there that include Syndicate characters

Manger Danger: http://www.electricf...showtopic=27741

Angels of Sayang: http://www.electricf...+angels +sayang

But you can still write a great fic without reading these, I include them only because it's nice for old fics to see the light again considering how much work went into them. The Syndicate has been mostly overlooked in terms of fics and they don't have any established canon history that you could over-turn. Well, maybe; there was the 'Cigar War' mentioned in Boiling Point Incorporated and John Reynold's character sheets, but that was never fleshed out as anything other than a vague generalization, and it this point it can't really affect any of the new stuff that gets written.

But really the Syndicate is unstructured enough that anything you write could fit into canon. I always wanted to do something more with The Broker but then I started the Force Warrior thing and that got out of hand reaaaaal quick.

#22 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:22 PM

The Broker! I love that guy! We should write a Broker fic eventually. Ooh and a Risk fic. And a Risk character sheet.

I'm gonna go drown in a pool of ideas.

#23 Nihlium

Nihlium

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

O.K last annoying question. Could there be any backlash if I used anyone's characters (blocked, disabled or available) in the fic without their permission?

#24 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

While I don't have a definite answer for that, I would think not. As long as you don't do something that just embarrasses a character someone put a lot of work into, then it shouldn't be a problem.
Of course, it never hurts to ask.

#25 deojusto

deojusto

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

What berg said. It never hurts to ask people if they're still around, and they'll almost always say yes. If they're not still around then it's pretty much free reign.

#26 Nihlium

Nihlium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

Now I know this might seem a little......."unorthadox" but how does a fic based on The Syndicate battling Sayang and Kali for control sound? It would be a fic that takes place between the 1800's and the present and would include a cameo from Infinium.

#27 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

Do whate'er you want, mate. No one's really written anything about Prohibition Era Syndicate - but that could be cool. Also, no one has written anything about KALI - so there's really no continuity for you to contend with.

#28 deojusto

deojusto

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

Uhhhhh, not sure. Battling for control of what, I guess? They each have different interests. And on a sort of minor note, or maybe not, I'm not sure if Sayang and Kali have been around since the 1800's. Kali maybe due to its shadowy nature, but I think the sayang founders were the actors guild and they're modern times. Treach would know more.  

#29 Nihlium

Nihlium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

(DISCLAIMER: This is a "synopsis" of the storyline and is subject to change)

The plot would start with Infinium investigating a series of strange occurences (caused by Kali). They eventually come to the conclusion that it was the Syndicates doing resulting in a few "interactions". The Syndicate decides to find out who has been framing them and begin investigating with limited results. Fastforward to the present. The Syndicate has forgotten about Kali and is now focused on regaining territories lost to Sayang. Sayang has been growing in activity which has caught the attention of Kali who after a botched operation to stem Sayangs influence has once again caught the attention of the Syndicate. 

#30 deojusto

deojusto

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:53 PM

Seems like an interesting intersection for those four teams. Infinium, Kali, and the Syndicate could all interact over stuff, as could Sayang, Infinium, and Kali. The only little hiccup I might see is that there has to be a really good reason for the Syndicate and Sayang to be at odds since they both work in very separate areas of criminality.

I don't think Sayang controls 'territories' in the same way a mobster might; they're a terrorist organization focused solely on chaos, not profit. If they were to run some sort of profitable crime, it would only be to finance future chaos. So there has to be a good reason why Sayang is going after organized crime, maybe to fund some evil scheme...

Or, just a suggestion and I hope I'm not hijacking this, but it could be similar to the classic movie M, where the mob goes after a child predator due to outright disgust, but also because his more blatant and heinous crimes were making the public demand a stronger police presence. Maybe Sayang's rampant killings or shady acts took out a few Syndicate big wigs, and their heirs are honor bound for revenge. Or maybe every time some nut-job chaos monger blows up a school bus, it creates more vigilantes, and that disrupts business .    

It doesn't have to be any of those, but there sort of has to be a reason. Kali and Infinium are almost easier, because as heroes Infinium would be interested in stopping any villain who caused a big enough stir, and Kali is so clandestine that they could feasibly be behind anything and come at odds with anyone, good or evil.      

#31 Nihlium

Nihlium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

You actually mentioned a part of the reason the Syndicate has a problem with Sayang (trying to keep spoilers at a min). The other reason has to do with Sayangs increasing influence amongst criminals.

#32 Nihlium

Nihlium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:04 AM

Alright. Thanks to Deo I've gotten my plot and whatnot in order, now all I need to do is make sure I have chosen the characters and their roles correctly and then start writing this thing.

#33 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

Can't wait to read it. ;)

#34 Nihlium

Nihlium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

I hope I don't disappoint.

#35 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 29 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

The Broker! I love that guy! We should write a Broker fic eventually. Ooh and a Risk fic. And a Risk character sheet.

I'm gonna go drown in a pool of ideas.

Expect to see more Risk soon. Don't expect Risk's character sheet anytime soon, I like him as an urban legend figure.

Also I like the fic idea. Everything Deo said is correct about Sayang. Everything Pseudonym said is wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users