• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Austo191

Austo191

Here Comes the Pain!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:WWE, Video Games, Movies, and bringing the pain.

Posted 12 September 2009 - 01:56 PM

This is a question the have been in many Rock and Rap fans around the world. Which is better? Rock or Rap?

Rock started long ago maybe in the late 40's early 50's. Some of the many classic artists include Elvis, Chuck Berry, and Buddy Holly. Rock soon evovled in the 60's with the big band, The Beatles. After the 60's came the 70's. Disco was all the rage in the 70's, but there was still a few rock songs during the era. Then came the 80's. Bands like KISS, AC/DC, Metallica, and Poison were already popular. Then in the 90's it happened. Rap quickly started gaining popularity.

Rap started in the 70's. Some of the artists that made Rap popular was the Sugarhill Gang, MC Hammer, and Will Smith. There are much, much more. Songs like Rapper's Delight, and U Can't Touch This were popular. Then in the 90's it started to become popular.

But the choice is yours. Rock or Rap?

#2 Cosmic Deadpool

Cosmic Deadpool

Don't feed him after midnight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

MC Hammer was merely a pop icon and had no relevancy at all to true Hip-Hop. With absolutely no MC skills, weak music, and a Pop edge, he and Vanilla Ice were the bane of rap's existence. He should never be mentioned alongside Hip-Hop legends such as the Sugar Hill Gang. Will Smith was only a true contributor when he was known as the Fresh Prince and rolled with DJ Jazzy Jeff. His tv career effectively ended any appreciated affiliation with rap, although it can be said that artists like himself and Kool Moe Dee, and Heavy D brought about a cleaner image to Hip-Hop as a whole.

Today rock and rap share so much in terms of popularity and innovation that they are equal in my eyes. Had you asked me 10 years ago..I would have said rap was the greatest thing ever created. Pop influences and corporate intervention however destroyed most of what I loved about rap. Its edge' lyrical content and the DJ.

#3 LegendX

LegendX

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:MMA, pro wrestling, muscle cars, sport bikes, pitbulls, Star Wars, Star Trek, hip hop, stand-up comedy and the philosophy of pointlessly, useless stuff.

Posted 12 September 2009 - 03:45 PM

MC Hammer was merely a pop icon and had no relevancy at all to true Hip-Hop. With absolutely no MC skills, weak music, and a Pop edge, he and Vanilla Ice were the bane of rap's existence. He should never be mentioned alongside Hip-Hop legends such as the Sugar Hill Gang. Will Smith was only a true contributor when he was known as the Fresh Prince and rolled with DJ Jazzy Jeff. His tv career effectively ended any appreciated affiliation with rap, although it can be said that artists like himself and Kool Moe Dee, and Heavy D brought about a cleaner image to Hip-Hop as a whole.

Today rock and rap share so much in terms of popularity and innovation that they are equal in my eyes. Had you asked me 10 years ago..I would have said rap was the greatest thing ever created. Pop influences and corporate intervention however destroyed most of what I loved about rap. Its edge' lyrical content and the DJ.

Amen.

#4 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

Get this crayon outta my nostril, PLEASE!

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff... And fighting evil.

Posted 12 September 2009 - 09:34 PM

Rap has it's moments, but I have to side with Rock.

Just so many good bands...

#5 Guest_mollyhayes01_*

Guest_mollyhayes01_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:31 PM

Rock

#6 The Hulkster

The Hulkster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:The Incredible Hulk Hogan!!!!!!!

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:47 PM

Good ol' Rock n' Roll!

#7 Ghost Tiger

Ghost Tiger

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:Comics<br />Sports<br />Fitness<br />History<br />Writing<br />Literature<br />Music

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:55 AM

Rock....just taking each genre as a whole I feel rock is more consistent....not as much completely crappy music.

#8 MarvelFan15

MarvelFan15

May I polish your boots, Marvel Man ?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Frost-Giants, demons, Loki, and DC fanboys. Also: Sports, Movies, Comics, TV, Games (of any sort), books, cars, girls, and Video Games.

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:55 AM

Both are great...

But, I have more favorites in the rap sector.

#9 Ghost Tiger

Ghost Tiger

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:Comics<br />Sports<br />Fitness<br />History<br />Writing<br />Literature<br />Music

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:08 AM

Rock can incorporate sooo many sub genres that I just don't think rap has anywhere to stack up.

#10 Cosmic Deadpool

Cosmic Deadpool

Don't feed him after midnight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:00 PM

Rock can incorporate sooo many sub genres that I just don't think rap has anywhere to stack up.

Well... rap has quite a few sub-genres as well; political, old school, gangsta, revolutionary, hardcore, horrorcore, g-funk, east coast, west coast, dirty south, hyphy, abstract, pop, religious, reggaeton, rapcore, alternative, and crunk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users