Match 9730 Riddick vs. Paul Atreides

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_callisto_*

Guest_callisto_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:42 PM

Sometime in the far future...Richard B. Riddick opened his eyes, and groaned. He raised his head, and saw that he was lying in a desert, roasting in the immense heat. He was wearing his goggles, which was a blessing, seeing as without them he would be all but blind. He stood up, slowly, recalling the events that had resulted in him being in the middle of some God-forsaken desert.He had lost his duel with the Lord Marshal, leader of the Necromongers, but rather than kill Riddick then and there, the Lord Marshal had decided to strand him on a remote planet on the other side of a worm-hole, to humiliate and anger Riddick as much as he could before his death. "F*ckin great. I wonder if he was kind enough to leave me with anything..." Riddick growled to himself, as he searched his person for anything useful. He found the pair of Ulaks he had had on him before, and a small container of water. It seemed the leader of the Necromongers wanted his suffering to last, or perhaps one of Riddicks old friends had convinced the Lord Marshal to leave him with the weapons...? Riddick would never know. He looked around, and saw a mountain range several miles ahead of him. Glancing up, he noticed the sun was setting. "Heh, maybe this place isnt so bad after all," thought Riddick, as he began walking towards the mountains...____________________________________________________________________________________Paul Atreides trudged through the sand of Arakis, towards the site where a ship that had apparently landed. He and the other Fremen had received word of a ship landing in the middle of the desert, and then taking off only a few moments later, a few miles away from a small mountain range. Thinking little of it, Paul had offered to check it out. The stillsuit he wore creaked against itself as he walked, the loudest sound in the vast, empty desert. Paul drank some water through the pip in his stillsuit, wondering if it was getting too dark to continue with his task. "There is probably nothing there," he thought, "but if there is, the Fremen and i should know about it." He pressed on, strolling through the nighttime desert towards the landing site. Then Paul saw something. Or, at least, he thought he did. His hand on the handle of his Crysknife, he walked forward, slowly. He listened very closely, and heard footsteps behind him. Turned swiftly around, he called out,"Whose there? A fellow Fremen?" He received no reply. Straining his blue eyes, Paul tried to see if there was anyone there, hidden in the darkness. Before he knew what was happening, he felt a blade touch his neck. "Good evening," said a deep voice, quietly, in his ear."Release me, stranger!" Demanded Paul, but he was silenced as the blade was pressed harder into his neck."Seeing as im the one with a knife to your throat, ill make the demands, ok, princess? You can start by telling me exactly where i am, then you can move onto who - " But before Riddick could finish patronizing Paul, the Fremen slammed his fist backwards into Riddick's face, almost knocking him over. As Riddick stumbled, Paul quickly broke away from him, drew his Crysknife, and turned to face his new enemy."Heh heh. That was pretty good." smiled Riddick, wiping a speck of blood from the corner of his mouth."It did not have to come to this, stranger, but you have shown me nothing but hostility and are clearly an enemy of the Fremen - " began Paul, before Riddick interrupted him."And who the Hell are you exactly? A mercenary im guessing, sent by the Lord Marshal. The b*stards too scared to face me himself, is he? Not surprising," Riddick took off his goggles, tossed them to the ground, and looked directly into Paul's blue eyes, grinning, "seeing as im a wanted criminal and murderer in just about every part of the galaxy."Paul looked back at him, sternly. "May the weight of your own arrogance shatter your blade." Paul moved into his fighting stance, ready for combat, as Riddick did the same. This was going to get nasty._____________________________________________________________________________________Riddick, armed with his twin UlaksvsPaul Atreides, armed with his Crysknife and his use of the Weirding WayIts a fight to the death, at nighttime, so Riddick has the advantage of night-vision, on Arakis, aka, Dune, so Paul has the advantage of environmental knowledge. Paul will not receive help from the other Fremen, due to distance, or the worms, as they dont have anything that could cause a strong enough vibration to attract them. My knowledge of Paul comes from the Dune miniseries, so this is that version of the character.Who wins and why, CBUBers!?!?!

#2 RJ_Raccoon

RJ_Raccoon

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Interests:Anime,Movies,Cartoons

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

Riddick will win he's tougher

#3 skadoosh

skadoosh

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,173 posts
  • Interests:Comics, books, films, people.

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:06 PM

Riddick will win he's tougher

Thanks for the comment, dude. Any other reasons why you think Riddick would win?

#4 patrickthekid

patrickthekid

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,017 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:26 PM

As stated before:

Riddick: Die mercenary.

Paul: Will you just kill yourself?

*Riddick does likewise and slashes himself with Ulaks*

Nightvision will do nothing against the powers of the Voice.

#5 skadoosh

skadoosh

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:37 PM

As stated before:

Riddick: Die mercenary.

Paul: Will you just kill yourself?

*Riddick does likewise and slashes himself with Ulaks*

Nightvision will do nothing against the powers of the Voice.

Fair enough, but this is a fight much like the one between Paul Atreides and Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen, as in, its a fair fight, and a fight for honor. Paul will not be using the Voice. And even if he did, i reckon Riddick could resist at least some commands.

#6 vycesyn

vycesyn

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Everything and anything.I tend to like the cartoons from my youth so 80's cartoons.I also enjoy different fantasy books.Tv shows include House,Bones,and NCIS among other things.I tend to go for comic characters that are more thinkers then have large powersets.

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:30 AM

Fair enough, but this is a fight much like the one between Paul Atreides and Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen, as in, its a fair fight, and a fight for honor. Paul will not be using the Voice. And even if he did, i reckon Riddick could resist at least some commands.

Interesting match. I would not call that particular fight fair by the way, at least as far as Feyd was concern Harkonnens don't exactly fight fair. I understand what scene you are talking about though so I get what you are meaning.

Still the Weirding Way against Riddick's own reflexes. It would make for some unique slices being made that's for sure. Even this particular version of Muad'Dib however has enough skill to take on someone of Riddick's capabilities. I am on the fence though until someone more acute in the knowledge of Riddick's fighting style in whole can give a better analysis on his side of the field.

The only thing I question here is the comment of the sandworms. Oh the Fremen would not help regardless here; it is a matter of honor and they understand that. That out of the way there is something about Shai-Hulud that must be understood and you might not have been able to gather it from the mini-series so it's understandable. They don't need anything to cause enough vibration ..I'm guessing you were thinking of the thumpers when you wrote that...to have the worms show up. Unless the sounds of this battle equal to that of what more normal fauna on Arrakis, if one can call them normal, would sound like in a fight then the very vibrations of each man's motions of movement and counter maneuvering could be enough to bring a worm's attention at least to see what's going on. As far as getting help from the worms? While I'd wager that there seems to be a special relationship in the whole prophetic idea of Muad'Dib and Shai-Hulud...the sandworms are still beasts of Dune. He's as much as a target as Riddick would be. It's just that both from his learning of the Fremen way,combined with his prescience power from the spice, and possibly his so called destiny that he learned to ride the Worms and almost be one with them. I would not consider them an aid on his side in such a battle if he is not trying to get on them and use them specifically as a weapon at Riddick; that would more then likely give Riddick a chance seeing as Paul would have to be looking toward the worm and work his way onto it. Now if it was his son Leto II that's a whole different caboodle there of what the worms would do; well he would not really need them being a worm himself.

Still beyond all that it is a good match and like I said I'd have to wait and see what more knowledgeable Riddick people could share as to his fighting style against the training given to Paul by Gurney Halleck and Jessica.

#7 skadoosh

skadoosh

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:42 AM

The main reason the Fremen wont help is because they arnt with Paul, and if they were then they wouldnt help him because, as you said, its a matter of honor. My knowledge of the sandworms led me to believe that they could only sense very large vibrations, and those of just men walking, or in this case, fighting, would not attract them, but if im wrong, then i apologize. Either way, no Fremen or sandworms are in this fight, it is between Riddick and Paul, and only them.

#8 kainboa

kainboa

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

My knowledge of the sandworms led me to believe that they could only sense very large vibrations, and those of just men walking, or in this case, fighting, would not attract them, but if im wrong, then i apologize.

Regular walking on the sand attracts the Sandworms just as well as larger vibrations, that is why the Fremen had to develop a special walking technique that was asymmetric, so they didn't attract the worms whenever they were out and about.

As to the fight, While Riddick is fairly skilled, he just isn't skilled enough.

Paul not only has voluntary control over his entire body, he also has the weirding way which enables him to make short bursts of super speed, and short range teleports.

On top of that, he is one of the most skilled knife fighters in his universe, if not The most skilled.

#9 vycesyn

vycesyn

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Everything and anything.I tend to like the cartoons from my youth so 80's cartoons.I also enjoy different fantasy books.Tv shows include House,Bones,and NCIS among other things.I tend to go for comic characters that are more thinkers then have large powersets.

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:06 AM

Regular walking on the sand attracts the Sandworms just as well as larger vibrations, that is why the Fremen had to develop a special walking technique that was asymmetric, so they didn't attract the worms whenever they were out and about.

As to the fight, While Riddick is fairly skilled, he just isn't skilled enough.

Paul not only has voluntary control over his entire body, he also has the weirding way which enables him to make short bursts of super speed, and short range teleports.

On top of that, he is one of the most skilled knife fighters in his universe, if not The most skilled.

First paragraph is exactly what I was talking about so agreed there. They try to move in step with how most of the other creatures of the desert do so that the attention of the worms is not immediate toward them.

As to the last line, I'd agree as well although Duncan and Gurney are at least in that category as well if not topping him in some specific situations...I.E I'd say Duncan has proven his survival skills in multiple terrain situations while Paul for the most part had just Arrakis to contend with most of the time.

#10 skadoosh

skadoosh

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for specifying what kind of vibrations the worms can sense. Although, i dont understand why walking asymmetrically wouldnt attract them. Im not disagreeing, im just curious. Also, the Weirding Way isnt actually teleportation, it would just seem that way to an observer as someone adept at the art could move so fast in short bursts.

Thanks for the analysis dudes, 'preciate it.

#11 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for specifying what kind of vibrations the worms can sense. Although, i dont understand why walking asymmetrically wouldnt attract them. Im not disagreeing, im just curious. Also, the Weirding Way isnt actually teleportation, it would just seem that way to an observer as someone adept at the art could move so fast in short bursts.

Thanks for the analysis dudes, 'preciate it.

The worms are attracted to rhythmic sounds, like the symmetric sound of a person walking. This is because the rhythmic sound signals to the worm that there is life here, large enough to be worth eating.

Walking asymmetrically disguises that, and the worm will not recognize the asymmetrical sounds, as those of prey. Hence, walking asymmetrically is safe.

As for the Weirding Way. Yes, it is(or at least can be) teleportation.

To give a quote about it "The key axiom of the Weirding Way was, in the words of Farad'n Corrino, "my mind affects my reality." By imagining oneself suddenly at a nearby location an adept could bypass the laws of physics and make themselves arrive there almost instantaneously."

#12 skadoosh

skadoosh

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:03 PM

Every piece of information ive seen or read about the Weirding Way, including that quote, says it is almost teleportation. "To the opponent (and any bystanders) the movement seemed almost like close-quarter teleportation", and " The teleportation-like effect was accomplished by altering one's perception of reality", which links to your quote. It is actually, simply, moving very fast. Riddick faced an opponent who had a similar power, the Lord Marshal, and won (not in my set up), using a well-timed strike.

#13 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:20 PM

Every piece of information ive seen or read about the Weirding Way, including that quote, says it is almost teleportation. "To the opponent (and any bystanders) the movement seemed almost like close-quarter teleportation", and " The teleportation-like effect was accomplished by altering one's perception of reality", which links to your quote. It is actually, simply, moving very fast. Riddick faced an opponent who had a similar power, the Lord Marshal, and won (not in my set up), using a well-timed strike.

But the actual description of how it works, says that it's teleportation.

The user imagines himself in a different place, wills himself(or herself) to be in that location, and appears there almost instantaneously.

The process is exactly the same as several forms of teleportation. Shimmering(Charmed universe) works in the same way. IT(dbz) works in the same way. Apperation(HP universe) works in the same way. Etc. etc. etc.

Imagine the destination, will yourself there, and ét violá.

And if you watch the Dune/Children of Dune mini-series, it even looks like teleportation.

#14 skadoosh

skadoosh

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 05:40 PM

Cool. It is still almost instantaneous. In the mini series it looks a lot like how the Lord Marshal's power looks, he leaves a sort of trailer behind him.

#15 Guest_anu_*

Guest_anu_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:59 PM

riddick

#16 skadoosh

skadoosh

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

riddick

Thanks, care to state why?

#17 L.I.C. (-Large In Charge-)

L.I.C. (-Large In Charge-)

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:Movies & Adventure, Martial-Arts, Science-Fiction, Transformers, Godzilla, MOTU, Video Games.

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:37 PM

Riddick cares the Furyon energies of his people!

Paul is the Ultimate Warrior for Good!

No Contest! It's Paul

#18 FromOnHigh

FromOnHigh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 03:02 PM

Cool. It is still almost instantaneous. In the mini series it looks a lot like how the Lord Marshal's power looks, he leaves a sort of trailer behind him.

Actually, If I remember correctly, the Lord Marshall's speed induces not an after-image - but a before-image.

Wave your hand in front of your face - a shape of your hand is cast by light and stays in place where your hand was for a split second or two, creating an image of where your hand used to be.

The Lord Marshall's speed works backwards - instead of moving in a burst of speed and leaving a temporary image behind, he actually casts a before-image (a shape of where he's going to be) and then moves in a burst of speed.

You can imagine how unbelievably dense this is to use, and how unbelievably easy it would be for someone to counter.

I think the first few times the Lord Marshall used his speed, his opponants would choke from surprise and falter, leading to their death.

However, with his speed casting an image of where he was going to be, to anyone with simple 20-20 Vision, it is very easy to counter and not surprising in the least that Riddick was able to defend against it.

Gurney Halleck could likely kill the Lord Marshall, in his sleep.

Now in terms of Riddick versus Paul, compared to Paul, or a host of other Dune fighters, Riddick is a one-dimensional fighter.

Riddick has strength and a bit of durability, but doesn't have the speed Paul has, nor the precision, nor the training in a martial art that is likely more advanced than anything Riddick has ever known.

Duncan Idaho or Gurney Halleck would carve Riddick open like a Thanksgiving Day turkey, with perhaps, moderate difficulty.

Against Paul Atreides?

Riddick gets beaten badly, and easily.

Paul wins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users