139 replies to this topic

#121 servo5

servo5

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:26 AM

There's another on his list getting the axe too. Click here for the six titles that won't be sticking around.

I'm sorry to see Static Shock, Mr. Terrific and and Blackhawks go. All three of those titles had strong African-American characters. Is there a message there now that they are cancelled?

I read the critiscisms for these three books and for the most part I don't agree. I mean, I was collecting 30 titles and I chose these three books to stick around along with 12 others. I was really getting into these books. I liked the villains in Static Shock, I liked the science in Mr. Terrific and quite frankly I think cancelling Blackhawks is stupid. I dropped all the Superman titles, Green Arrow, The Flash, Jonah Hex and Red Lanterns for these titles. Now I'm going to have to go back and get those issues to replace these that I'm losing.

In other news, these titles are supposed to be replacing the six cancelled books:

Batman Inc:
Earth 2:
World's Finest:
Dial H:
GI Combat: Why cancel Men of War if they're going to replace it with "GI Combat?"
The Ravagers

#122 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

The Light In The Darkness

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,740 posts
  • Interests:See About Me page.

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:31 AM

Yeah, I'm surprised some are even getting cancelled so soon. I thought this was a big thing with this relaunching, and that all of these would be around for a while. I haven't read any of the New 52 except for that one issue of the Justice League I picked up in December. All I can say, is they must not have been selling well. If they were making money, they wouldn't have a need to cancel them.

#123 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:36 AM

I read Justice League #1 in Walgreens. Maybe it's because it's the Justice League, not Batman/GL/Superman/whatever #1, but they didn't flesh out the characters at all. Now I realize, "well duh, their legend precedes them!", but to completely reboot a UNIVERSE, I figured the characters would be given some background. Maybe it's just because it was #1 and they want the team together before giving them some characterization (kinda backwards), but I don't know.

#124 servo5

servo5

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:50 AM

You knew Justice League was going to be successful from the start. Especially with Jim Lee drawing. I wish they would give other titles a chance. Some titles need time to be successful. They cancelled R.E.B.E.L.S. and then brought them back with the same idea years later. Blackhawks is a solid comic and I'd like them to go up against Checkmate or something. Maybe they could guest star in Justice League and try their hand at taking them down....

#125 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

Can't wait for Worlds Finest.

#126 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

I read Justice League #1 in Walgreens. Maybe it's because it's the Justice League, not Batman/GL/Superman/whatever #1, but they didn't flesh out the characters at all. Now I realize, "well duh, their legend precedes them!", but to completely reboot a UNIVERSE, I figured the characters would be given some background. Maybe it's just because it was #1 and they want the team together before giving them some characterization (kinda backwards), but I don't know.

Yeah. I'm not sure what to think of it yet. I liked it, and want to read further. But the Batman titles, and some others, I'm a little more interested in. I only bought that one 'cause it was one of the few #1s left.

I'm not even sure how "rebooted" these are supposed to be. Wasn't the main purpose of this to lure in new readers, and have them not scratching their head and having to run around looking things up to find out what's going on? Didn't really get that feeling from that first issue of JL...

#127 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

DC has gotten alot of shit for sexism and racism in the New 52.

#128 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:55 PM

Oh man I am glad Batwing is sticking around because he is a awesome Batman. He could end up being DC's answer to Black Panther in way which is a good thing. I am sorry but those six titles weren't all that great. Blackhawks I would say is the only one of the six that actually was pretty well written and gave us a new set of heroes that reminded me of GI Joes or something like that in a way. DC should keep it.

Some of the Titles I love right now:

All Superman books including Superboy and Supergirl.
Justice League
Titans
Deathstroke
Most of the Batman books.
The Flash
Green Arrow
Nightwing
Stormwatch
Supernatural
All Green Lantern books

#129 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

Midnighter is black now.

#130 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

Midnighter is black now.

The racist jokes are too easy.

#131 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

The racist jokes are too easy.

i c wut u did thar

#132 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

:ph34r: I'd heard about the first, but not the latter. I read somewhere that their female writers make up a grand total of 1%. So...kind of easy to see that one.

#133 servo5

servo5

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

Sexism in comics has been around forever and is hard to change because not many of the comics made today are tailored to females. But 52 should be razzed on about the racism. They only have three titles where African Americans are the lead (Batwing, Static Shock and Mr. Terrific) and two out of the three are getting cancelled? What's that about? And Blackhawks' pilot "Canada" is an African American character I really liked who seems to fly as well if not better than Hal Jordan and his comic is getting cancelled too? Things that make you go Hmmm.

#134 servo5

servo5

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:54 PM

Oh man I am glad Batwing is sticking around because he is a awesome Batman. He could end up being DC's answer to Black Panther in way which is a good thing. I am sorry but those six titles weren't all that great. Blackhawks I would say is the only one of the six that actually was pretty well written and gave us a new set of heroes that reminded me of GI Joes or something like that in a way. DC should keep it.

Some of the Titles I love right now:

All Superman books including Superboy and Supergirl.
Justice League
Titans
Deathstroke
Most of the Batman books.
The Flash
Green Arrow
Nightwing
Stormwatch
Supernatural
All Green Lantern books

I'm really liking Deathstroke and Stormwatch right now. All of the Lantern books are pretty solid except for Red Lanterns. I feel like petitioning on the D.C. website forums for the continuation of Blackhawks. I REALLY don't want to see that one go. I wasn't too thrilled over Flash and SUperboy. I had to drop both of those books but maybe I'll pick them up again since so many of the ones I liked are getting cancelled.

#135 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:06 AM

Could it be that those titles weren't selling good, and that DC wanted to launch other titles instead? Or is automatically racist? I can see either one being possible, but let us get the facts instead of jumping the gun.

#136 tomisntblue

tomisntblue

ANNND now for something you'll really like. (It's cookie

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 10,760 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

Sexism in comics has been around forever and is hard to change because not many of the comics made today are tailored to females. But 52 should be razzed on about the racism. They only have three titles where African Americans are the lead (Batwing, Static Shock and Mr. Terrific) and two out of the three are getting cancelled? What's that about?

Well Static Shock was boring... so there's that. Mr. Terrific? I don't know, I didn't read it. But they still have John Stewart in Green Lantern Corps, they just introduced Steel in Action comics (don't know what's coming out of that, but felt it worth mentioning), there's Jason in the Fury of Firestorm, Cyborg's in Justice League. I do think these titles being canceled has anything to do with racism as much as, they probably weren't selling well.

#137 servo5

servo5

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:36 AM

Well Static Shock was boring... so there's that. Mr. Terrific? I don't know, I didn't read it. But they still have John Stewart in Green Lantern Corps, they just introduced Steel in Action comics (don't know what's coming out of that, but felt it worth mentioning), there's Jason in the Fury of Firestorm, Cyborg's in Justice League. I do think these titles being canceled has anything to do with racism as much as, they probably weren't selling well.

All those characters you mentioned don't have their own series. Those characters are great. Don't get me wrong. But they can't stand alone in their own series. And that's sad. Not that they can't mind you but because they probably won't be given a chance (heck, even Firestorm shares his character with a white guy).

i don't think D.C. is purposely being racist. I don't think that at all. That would be stupid to say because obviously they do have strong African American characters. I just think if you are going to make a comic with a lead African American character (or any character for that matter) you should try other things than just cancelling the book. Try new artists or writers or feature your character in other books or promote it more. I hate that they are cancelling ANY 52 books so soon. We are only at, what?, 5 issues for each title? COuld we not wait around a bit?

On a side note, Static Shock was representing the whole of the Milestone Universe and none of the new replacement titles are picking up those pieces. Something to think about.....

#138 DamagingRob

DamagingRob

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,740 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:23 AM

Is that why they're being called racist? I pretty much said the same thing the others did, as seen in my previous post below.

All I can say is, they must not have been selling well. If they were making money, they wouldn't have a need to cancel them.

I'm still surprised that they would cancel some so soon.

#139 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

Sales wise if a comic series isn't doing well cancelling it is good because no one is buying it and you can make a comic on other characters.

#140 servo5

servo5

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

Sales wise if a comic series isn't doing well cancelling it is good because no one is buying it and you can make a comic on other characters.

Cancelling isn't always good even if no one is buying the book. Sometimes a comic needs time to grow and mature. I can bet you any money if Action Comics or Batman or Flash or Justice League did poorly, their books wouldn't get cancelled. A good way to gauge this is when a comic gets cancelled but then it just gets restarted years down the road (Justice League, Justice League International, R.E.B.E.L.S., Doom Patrol) so that you know there's obviously interest there in those books but they are just going through a slow spell.

I think deciding to cancel a series 5 issues in is stupid. Change things up. See your comic grow. Feed it and water it. Ask for feedback and then fix the problems. Every one of us has loved a comic that got cancelled so lets fix those that are slow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users