• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#1 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

A fluffy puppy with a heart of gold!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:38 PM

Well, there are alot of RP's going here, some fun, some meh, Im not gonna name names. Here, I am hoing to give a review to the vets and teach you new batch a thing or two about action and adventure. Now this one will familiarize ya'll, and I will use a similar way for the upcoming hero RP(which is not dead), so get out your notpads. Now with few exceptions to a couple favors, the spot limit(for the moment) is limited to 8 or so PC's. I may squeeze in a few more, but first I want to see how cohesive I can get everyone....I do not have much confidence, but I'd like to be proven wrong. PS: try and come ready with your player of choice. No reserving spots, just to make it more interesting. If you are first serve, Ill keep you in mind, but if you take too long, and someone gets their guys in first sorry. Ill see what I can do. Without further ado, here's our concept; Treasure hunting! You take control of fictional Treasure Hunters/Adventurers/Grave Robbers/ Archeologists/etc/etc and get to work.

Treasure:
The sun dial of Chronos

A fabled treasure, that once illedgidely belonged to "father time" himself the personification of time Chronos. Solid gold and encrusted with many other treasures of the time period, several stories refrenced it as his source of power.

The Treasure Hunters(AKA the players):
These guys are the heroes of this story. The(made up by me) Sun-Dial of Chronus(father time, not Zeus' daddy) is a fabled treasure said to grant the power over time to any man who can wield it. Every treasure hunter whose in the story has attempted to claim it only seemingly to disappeaer. However the truth is they found it AND managed to activate its power...unfortunately most ancient relics of power don't come with instruction manuals. With an accidental movement, each being was launched out of time until the most recent one(an NPC played by me after everyone gets their pick in) does something a bit differet. This is which causes the players to meet. However in true fashion whoever it is will have someone hot on their tail so everyones thrown in together in the beginning. A hasty alliance is prefferable for all involved. From there, its up to the players and the sundial as to what occurs next. So not only is it gonna be globetrotting, theres possibility of being timetrotting as well.

Ground Rules:
One thing I really wish to stress here is being 'in-character'. Ive been in enough RP's where guys take over the strongest character all willy-nilly and established character/development goes out the window. Now Here, the former issue may not occur, but I wish to stress that what ever action you make with this character, make sure its soemthing you(as well as others) could justify them doing. Now even soem of the lighter heroes are...morally flexible, but unless you wanna go Belloq, Flynn(Uncharted 2), or an adventurer type who isn't quite a good guy, something like uncaringly slaughtering innocents is something Im pretty damn sure most of these characters wouldn't do. EVen then, keep in mind, karma's a funny thing. Just dont get caught. Now I hope I dont scare anyone by being harsh on character-judgment, Im not, I just want to point out this RP will be alot more fun if everyone acts like how theyre character would(random ex: Drake spouting out about 100 snarks a minute, Indy going for his hat, Rick...being Brendan Fraiser :unsure: , etc) and Im trustin ya'll to deliver there while having fun. No pressure, btw.

Incomplete list of example characters. Main heroes of the stories as well as the series they spawned/came from that are a-ok to go by.
*note, if you can find another type of individual, that doesn't fall under them or their respective universes, then I would be more than open to letting them in so long as they fit the criteria(ie, would willingly go out of their way to search for this object, which is in a fictional temle in Greece, whether for riches or power). The limit is that theyre are human and from a fairly realistic setting, I wont be too picky, but if i reject a character if its on here people can overturn it democracy style if they dont mind and think it's good enough. Just so I make it clear you could pick side/supporting characters as long as they still fit the criteria. For example instead of picking Rick O'Connel, you could have any number of his family members(son Alex from either films, wife Evie, brother in law Jonathan), ally Medji, or even his frenimy Benny. With that in mind, have a blast and try for something noone else will.

*Note 2: this being an RP about time travel, I have no problem of taking a given individual from a different point in their life, if applicable. For example, one could take Rick O' Connel either right out of the Mummy where he's hot blooded, or from TotDE/3 where he's cooled down...somewhat. Another, more blatant example, would be Indiana Jones: Original series flavor, Young Adventures, or old man flavor. Your pick.

*Note 3: Of course an important detail is a character's loadout, if applicable. That will be at my discression, though don't fret as there will be plenty of item pickups when you need em)

Indiana Jones " "
Lara Croft(Tomb Raider)
Rick O' Connel (The Mummy)
Nathan Drake(Uncharted)
Benjamin Franklin Gates (National Treasure)
Allan Quartermain (King Solomon's Mines)
Flynn Carsen (The Librarian)
Jack Colton (Romancing the Stone)
Sydney Fox (Relic Hunter)
Dirk Pitt(Film Sahara and a series of novels)
Milo Thatch(Atlantis: the Lost empire)

After picking your character, he will be placed in one of three archetypes:

*Adventurer: The all-around type in this RP. They can do all of the basics with proficiency; shoot, brawl, deciher hieroglyphics, solve puzzles, etc. They can hold their own but when it comes to big guns, the mercenary may do better to hold the line, and compared to the professor odds are their knowledge on any given subject is that of a grade schooler. Examples of the Adventurer: Indiana Jones, Nathan Drake, Lara Croft

*The Professor: The brains. They are the smartest of the smart. Anything they don't know by memory they probably have a refrence book close at hand, or at least know where to start looking. Their brain power is extremely useful...their physical skills, not so much. They can throw a punch and know which end the bullet comes out of, but in a serious fight don't expect to do much. They're suprisingly fast runners however.
Examples of the Professor: Benjamin Franklin Gates, Jonathan Carnahan, Milo Thatch, Henry Jones Sr.

*The Mercenary: A hired gun, or otherwise muscle of the group. They may not believe in all the mumbo jumbo legends, but so long as they get paid they're good, but they're certainly nice to have around when things get messy. They're not always dumb muscle, some are even fairly cunning or icked up a few things from their smarter friends, but when it comes time to dechipher the hieropglyhics dont exect much inut from them.
Examles of the mercenary: Ardeth Bay, Rick O' Connel, Chloe Frazer

Game Mechanic! Luck Factor:Despite all the numerous odds each of these heroes have faced throughout their own adventures; whether facing down an army of gunmen, escaping dangerous traps, or other impossible situations, they have always managed to escape by the skin of their teeth. The stakes are now higher than ever as this ragtag group of heroes must group together or die. Luck is going to play an essential role during this game. It will fluctuate(deciding on a percentage of up to 100%) depending on actions throughout the game, both during actiona nd break periods. Anything can affect it, whether being a nice to a local civillian, who may have squealed you out otherwise(or the other direction if you play as a jerk), to forgetting to reload your six shooter in the middle of a shootout and end up with a large , now useless, paperweight vs whatever they have aimed at you(the opposite would occur if your contantly counting yours and the enemie's shots, hwoever that in of itelf can lead to trouble). Another thign that can heavily effect you luck is the danger of the situation. There are five percieved levels of danger which can affect your luck.

Level 1-minimal danger: at worst the only thing after you is a mugger with a knife, a single scout or(dare I say is) nothing at all. These are bound to be the quietest parts of the RP like simple exploration or conversational time. Use it widely
Level 2- some danger: Perhaps now yoru facing down someone with a firearm, or whose skill with a blade is too close for comfort. They have the capacity to kill you, but if your careful they wont serve much more than nuisances. At this level the danger still may or may not present itself. This is where you may want to be wary.
Level 3- moderate danger: By this point the fact that someone is trying to harm you is pronounced. Perhaps you came upon an assasain who is worth the money he was paid or a search team with pistols and the occasional AK or shotgun has their sights on you. This is where shit begins to get real. Your death is more than a possibility.
Level 4- serious danger: Things are starting to look bad. Maybe a squad of trained soldiers/mercs/whatever have you pinned down with bullets flying everywhere or your facing someone much bigger than you and you just dropped your gun. There is a very good chance of death if your not careful.
Level 5- Dire situation: This is about as bad as it gets. Maybe you have the entire enemy army coming down on you, or you are facing someone who thinks using a tank on one person is a perfectly viable method of handling a situation. Tread very lightly and use alot fo teamwork. It's about the only thing you can do.

Now for each situation, the danger level is put up against how lucky you are individually and as a whole.

The fun part: your never really going to know exactly what level of danger or luck your on. The best you cvan do is guesstimate it. This is so you don't abuse such skills(in-character they might push their luck, but certainly wouldn't go too overboard unless they saw no alternative). Now that's not to say blindly charging on luck is neither IC nor entirely a no-no, you just need to be cautious and pick your spot. Going back to the level three example of several gunmen having you in your sights. Taking the offensive and charging or taking potshots may or may not work depending on things like your skill and equipment along with a dice roll or two, the result either being you taking out or disorienting both men...or you could be out in the open from some angry gunmen getting their second wind.

Game Mechanic! Second chance: Now sometime syou have an offday or make the wrong move. Normally death is the only option, however with the power of Chronus at your disposal(well, sort of) it is possible to skirt this fate. For the moment anyways. The only option here is a small rewind of time. If you take a wound that will prove fatal int he immediate future, then(if your lucky) yo'll instead feel that strange deja vu feeling. However everythin comes with a catch. Deja vu also means you have a good idea what you did wrong, and what the enemy will do. Take that how you will.
* If your in a group when a death occurs, its up to majority vote if the timeskip occurs, as it will effect everyone who would be concerned by it.
*It cannot be called on command. There are times and situations wher eit simply wont work at all, so try not to rely on it.
*Sideeffects of coming back to life and using the power of time as a personal reset button are not uncommon. These are fairly unknown, varying in severity, however thats part of the fun, no?

Also as a sidenote, regular general RP rules are in effect here.
*Be courteuous to other RPers and try not to flood the game with conversations between one or two individuals. We all want to have fun
*No metagaming or called hits(if you need to ask what those are, lease ask someone)
*Follow the rules I set, and ask in the OOC board if there's any questions you have.

If I missed anything, assume I mant to add it here. Now enjoy!

#2 jesus20456

jesus20456

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,632 posts
  • Location:can't tell you, I wish I could, because that would mean the war was over...
  • Interests:Reading Animorphs, Writing.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:45 PM

Dibs in indy, that is all.

#3 Djgambrell

Djgambrell

Meh.

• Members
  • 5,989 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:47 PM

Umm can you shorten this up a bit?

#4 Mercenaryblade

Mercenaryblade

Mercenary Captain

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,441 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, fencing, and more.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:47 PM

Hmm I think Imma gonna to be Vinnie the demolitions expert from Atlantis

#5 tomisntblue

tomisntblue

ANNND now for something you'll really like. (It's cookie

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 10,760 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:49 PM

Adventurer you say? Time travel you say? Smart professor type you say?

Posted Image
"Hello, I'm the Doctor."

Archetype: The Professor

#6 Djgambrell

Djgambrell

Meh.

• Members
  • 5,989 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:51 PM

Personal character OK? And I prefer the David Tennant version of The Doctor.

#7 SSGoku

SSGoku

Blissfully Unaware

• Banned
  • 2,775 posts
  • Location:Hmm, I can't decide between planet Krypton or planet Vegeta
  • Interests:Being a nerd. Video games, comics, not very good at sports, all that stuff.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:57 PM

I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE I CALL NATHAN DRAKE

In short, I'd like to be Nathan Drake

#8 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

@Jesus: Thank god we got that out of the way.

@Tom: Hmm, well he certainly would have a reason to go after something like that...uh ok, no TARDIS or Sonic screwdriver, you go where the Sun dial goes and we have a deal.

@Merc: That's just awesome.

@SSGoku: If you promise to be IC then yes. Sorry, I havent seen you in action, just making sure.

@All: Ok all, give ics to make it easier and put in the archetype

@Djambrell: Uh, define shorten? Story, characters, what? lease be specific and Ill do my best to swum up. Granted you dont have to read the game mechanics, that was just fyi stuff. Also, no OC's.

#9 tomisntblue

tomisntblue

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 10,760 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:03 PM

@Tom: Hmm, well he certainly would have a reason to go after something like that...uh ok, no TARDIS or Sonic screwdriver, you go where the Sun dial goes and we have a deal.

What I hear is, "No magic-fix all-plot devices." If so, alright, I can live with that.

#10 SSGoku

SSGoku

Blissfully Unaware

• Banned
  • 2,775 posts
  • Interests:Being a nerd. Video games, comics, not very good at sports, all that stuff.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:04 PM

@SSGoku: If you promise to be IC then yes. Sorry, I havent seen you in action, just making sure.

@All: Ok all, give ics to make it easier and put in the archetype

1) I'll do my best to be IC, but don't expect so many witty remarks. I'm not that clever. :unsure:
2) What does that mean? I don't understand what you want us to do.

#11 hamtaroblazex

hamtaroblazex

Nuking the site from orbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:06 PM

If I may, the carttoon SinBAD!!!

Posted Image

Mercenary archetye, I guess

#12 Djgambrell

Djgambrell

Meh.

• Members
  • 5,989 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:17 PM

The game mechanic please and I'll take Rick O'Connell. Its been a while since I've seen the movie so I might not do the best. The Mercenary.

#13 Mercenaryblade

Mercenaryblade

Mercenary Captain

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,441 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, fencing, and more.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:19 PM

Hmm I think Imma gonna to be Vinnie the demolitions expert from Atlantis

I'm thinking Vinnie fits into the Mercenary category, plus that's what he was in the movie a mercenary.

#14 bobisbeast

bobisbeast

The FPL's favorite CBUBer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:25 PM

Posted Image

Captain Jack Sparrow, Archetype: Adventurer

#15 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:28 PM

@Tom: I accept yer challenge! Dry wit!

@Bob: Your one of my favors, so your good. Wont coutn agaionst the 8man limit.

@SSGoku: Well please try to do your best, ick soemone easier, or suffer the consequences....thank you.

@Dj: Welp, please see the movie again for refrence. Sorry, but this is one of those excercise things. The idea is to do your best to stay IC. As he is a mainstay if your not so sure in your ability to play him well, please pick a different guy. As for game mechanics, here's the simplest sum up I can give without going itno anyd etail(cause thats about as simle as I could word it with)

*The luck factor represents how lucky your character is, as in any action film that will be the heroes one advantage. How hard he is to shoot, the odds of potshots becoming killshots. All that stuff will be represetned by a percentage. The luck factor will be faced against the danger levels. There are five of them and higher it is, the worse odd syou'll be facing from the baddies.

*Second chance: basically if things are going really bad, I may or may not give you the chance to give it the rince of persia treatment and rewind time to before thing turned for the worst. THough there are sideffects if abused or your just plain not lucky.

@Ham: Arrgh, ok. Watcnh up ont he film though

PS:@All: My P key is FUBAR atm, so if there are any mispellings revolving around that, lease understand. Thnx.

#16 Hugo Fowl

Hugo Fowl

I am One with the Ferret.

• Members
  • 7,162 posts
  • Interests:Discworld, Hellsing, Kingdom Hearts, writing, RP's, drama, etc.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:31 PM

A hunter from the Darkest Wild, makes you feel just like a child....

#17 Djgambrell

Djgambrell

Meh.

• Members
  • 5,989 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:37 PM

@Tom: I accept yer challenge! Dry wit!

@Bob: Your one of my favors, so your good. Wont coutn agaionst the 8man limit.

@SSGoku: Well please try to do your best, ick soemone easier, or suffer the consequences....thank you.

@Dj: Welp, please see the movie again for refrence. Sorry, but this is one of those excercise things. The idea is to do your best to stay IC. As he is a mainstay if your not so sure in your ability to play him well, please pick a different guy. As for game mechanics, here's the simplest sum up I can give without going itno anyd etail(cause thats about as simle as I could word it with)

*The luck factor represents how lucky your character is, as in any action film that will be the heroes one advantage. How hard he is to shoot, the odds of potshots becoming killshots. All that stuff will be represetned by a percentage. The luck factor will be faced against the danger levels. There are five of them and higher it is, the worse odd syou'll be facing from the baddies.

*Second chance: basically if things are going really bad, I may or may not give you the chance to give it the rince of persia treatment and rewind time to before thing turned for the worst. THough there are sideffects if abused or your just plain not lucky.

@Ham: Arrgh, ok. Watcnh up ont he film though

PS:@All: My P key is FUBAR atm, so if there are any mispellings revolving around that, lease understand. Thnx.

Thanks. I'll be ready.

#18 SSGoku

SSGoku

Blissfully Unaware

• Banned
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:44 PM

A hunter from the Darkest Wild, makes you feel just like a child....

Oh man, its been to long since I've seen that movie

#19 tomisntblue

tomisntblue

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 10,760 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

Mercenary archetye, I guess

The Mercenary.

I'm thinking Vinnie fits into the Mercenary category, plus that's what he was in the movie a mercenary.

"Why in the world are there so many bloody mercenaries? I signed on for an adventure, not a battle. Do we need to have this many testosterone driven men ready to dive head first into a drunken bar room brawl? And I supposed you lot will expect me to save you every time you rush in without a plan. Well I say, we all need to put down the weapons and seek out Sun dial like calm minded, rational, grown men."

#20 SSGoku

SSGoku

Blissfully Unaware

• Banned
  • 2,775 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:49 PM

"Why in the world are there so many bloody mercenaries? I signed on for an adventure, not a battle. Do we need to have this many testosterone driven men ready to dive head first into a drunken bar room brawl? And I supposed you lot will expect me to save you every time you rush in without a plan. Well I say, we all need to put down the weapons and seek out Sun dial like calm minded, rational, grown men."

k

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users