#1 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

Introduction

Vampirism is a widely misunderstood anthropological phenomenon. Misinformation and ignorance regarding vampires and their behaviours has led to the prosecution and murder of many innocents. I, Stockholm Absalom, in writing this book will hopefully dispel readers' misconceptions and enrich the general knowledge regarding vampires in Khazan.

#2 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:35 PM

(Just so you know, if your intention is to create the actual definitive guide to Vampires in the FPL-verse, you're going to need to consult ThreeDark pretty extensively, and leave lots of room for other interpretations. If, however, your intention is to create an in-continuity shlocky best-selling pop-reference guide to vampires, full of anecdotal evidence and half truths, in the fashion of Gilderoy Lockhart, I am on board 100% with that awesome, amazing idea!)

#3 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

I didn't know anything was already laid out. I'm shoot him a PM.

#4 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:03 PM

You can write whatever you like, but please at least consider the other option. Here's my reasoning: It's not that the concept of vampirism is "spoken for," but rather, in the context of the FPL at large, a "Guide to Vampires" can never possibly be accurate or useful to anybody. Eventually, in continuity, your author's work will come to be treated as uninformed pop drivel anyway, as soon as The Shallow Guild or Sayang or the SLJ tell a story with a vampire in it who contradicts even one of the author's claims, and that extracontinuity sense of definitive credibility goes out the window. However, a narrative work is both more interesting and more flexible- it says "this is the experience of Stockholm Absalom, rather than "this is the way it is, period, and you must consult this guide if you want to create a vampire in the FPL." Since someone will eventually fight that second thing, the work would eventually be retconned as either incomplete and fallible or nonexistent. Making that fallibility an inherent part of your book's fictional author helps preserve the basic reality of FPL continuity, saying "a lot of this shit is subjective, and even the experts know less than they let on." That's all I'm trying to get at. In my own writing, I have mentioned four authors who wrote extensively on metahumans in the FPL-verse, but each contains that inherent flexibility of perspective. Sophia Martel wrote obtuse works on philosophy, and a philosophy can be flawed (some would even argue that all philosophies are flawed.) Oakim Darijs (sometimes spelled Darius) dwelt in metaphor and allegory, so his work is entirely open to individual interpretation. Sabino was a poet, so that goes double for him. Even Richard Goodson, the serious journalist, writes from a personal perspective- his own experiences, his own opinions. It's not that Stockholm Absalom can't believe he/she is writing the definitive end-all be-all work on Vampires. It's just important that you, as the creator, know the difference, and where that subjectivity fits in the overall scheme of things.

Total caveat- there is one semi-definitive resource on the supernatural that I insist your author be aware of (even if he/she disagrees with it.) That is Tobin's Spirit Guide.

#5 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:37 PM

If, however, your intention is to create an in-continuity shlocky best-selling pop-reference guide to vampires, full of anecdotal evidence and half truths, in the fashion of Gilderoy Lockhart, I am on board 100% with that awesome, amazing idea!)

You just should've said you were doing this Pseudodudenamehim

#6 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:51 PM

So I can write a type of vampire, but not "This is the Biology of All Vampires."

See, I remember somewhere in Khazanian lore that people were fighting for legislation that fought against vampire discrimination. Which means there's a population of vampires in Khazan at least large enough to begin lobbying for equal rights. I just wanted to start consolidating ideas on Vampirism as a whole so that I could begin to represent that population through characters.

It is pretty silly of me to have claimed Vampires though. In retrospect, that was a dumb idea.

Can I have Absalom write about the largest population of vamps in Khazan? [which really means, can I lay the story foundations for most vampires, I suppose.] I just want to know who's lobbying.

@Treach: I just did.

#7 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:46 PM

I think it would be a good idea, it has potential as long as you say the guide refers to a specific breeds of vampire. The problem is basically that Our vampires our different. Rather than having an entry on all vampires you could say,

Voorhees Vampires
An unusual breed of undead known for self-mutilation and extreme hardiness. Unlike more sophisticated vampires who make snide remarks and laugh at the petty humans trying to stop them, the Vorhees are more likely to grunt or bark.
-Sub-human Average IQ
-Superhuman strength
-Wall-Crawling
-Immortality
-Preferable method of elimination: direct sunlight or decapitation works well

Kami Vampires
Kami vampires, short for "Kamikaze", usually live in clans of about 150. Usually have a dominant leader, who is usually female. The Kami's behold to a Hive Mind in which everyone in the clan is connected to. Name received due to the male drone's tendency to protect their "queen" through self-sacrificing devotion. They will conveniently turn to ash when killed.
-Average human IQ
-heightened speed and strength
- Queen possess minor mind manipulation powers
-Preferable method of elimination: impalement, decapitation, and I dropped a piano on one. Seemed to do the trick. Averse to sunlight but not fatally

Mike eating vampires
All powers and attributes unknown. I sent Mike to investigate this species but he has never returned. Hence the name.

This way it would be harder to contradict, as all difference would just revolve around different breeds of vampires. It would be like the Hitchhikers guide of the galaxy but for the supernatural.

#8 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:33 PM

Dammit, now I want to read about Mike.

#9 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:15 PM

:)

Makes me wanna write a vampire guy. I'd like to see what this turns into.

#10 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:12 AM

Me too. It's interesting. I hate the classic MGM movie monsters (Vampires, Werewolf, Frankenstien, etc...) as FPL characters though, unless done in an extremely unique way. However, a character that is a monster researcher/adventurer/hunter type guy would be extremely cool.

#11 deojusto

deojusto

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:50 AM

I'm bumping this idea

#12 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:40 AM

What idea? Vampires in general? Stockholm Absalom hitting the gallery? or maybe some kind of all around compendium of vampires as written by The FPL

#13 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

A "hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy" type thing, about the supernatural, would be both cool and hilarious.

Filled with little notes about how "the author does stipulate...", to keep things open for people who want to create characters that doesn't fit in the "mold" so to speak.

It could both be a good writing exercise, and an awesome read.

#14 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

It wouldn't work as a character. We could pop it into General Discussion like the Pragmatist thread. Everyone gets to post about whatever kind of Supernatural Creature they want.

#15 deojusto

deojusto

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:16 AM

It could be a junior researcher for absalom who begins each section with a quote from the Encyclopedia Supernatural. Banshee's, Leprechauns, were-rats, Giants, Ogres, Oni, Elves, Gnomes, Vampires maybe. the more esoteric the better. Make it a babe and you could throw her into Rookie's fic alongside Violet and Hazel.

#16 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

Or simply create a thread in the FAQ section, along with "Locations", "Power Description", "Geography", etc. named "Hitchhiker's Guide to Khazan's Supernatural elements.", or something along those lines.

With everyone adding sections.

Kinda like the weapons dealer thread that... Ivan? created.

And yes, even with a thread like that, characters could easily have quotes from that guide in the beginning of various sections.

#17 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

It could be a junior researcher for absalom who begins each section with a quote from the Encyclopedia Supernatural. Banshee's, Leprechauns, were-rats, Giants, Ogres, Oni, Elves, Gnomes, Vampires maybe. the more esoteric the better. Make it a babe and you could throw her into Rookie's fic alongside Violet and Hazel.

Actually, that's a pimpin' ass idea. I wanted Bubbles to be in it, but I'm actually going to take Bubbles and rework her into something else. This idea is actually going to work for me.

Or simply create a thread in the FAQ section, along with "Locations", "Power Description", "Geography", etc. named "Hitchhiker's Guide to Khazan's Supernatural elements.", or something along those lines.

With everyone adding sections.

Kinda like the weapons dealer thread that... Ivan? created.

I'm gonna do this too. You guys should go post on the Pragmatist Thread though, it's awesome.

#18 deojusto

deojusto

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

Posted Image

Pic? Or whatever. I found this, I thought it was cool. A researcher about to meet Kaiju's less romantic cousin.

#19 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:04 AM

How about writing a character as an interview?

I had the idea for the "guide to vampires/the supernatural", but it could be used for any kind of character. And would be different from the 'standard' way of telling a story, while still being interesting.

An interview with a 'hunter'(or a vampire), or some other person/being knowledgeable about the supernatural.

#20 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:19 AM

@Deo: I have a picture that I want to use. http://i.imgur.com/yGdRL.jpg This'n

@methos: I don't particularly like interview characters. I'm writing a narrative from the POV of his administrative assistant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users