Gender Male

Location Signal Park West, Kits, Khazan

Stats:
Strength- Weak
Agility- Standard
Body- Weak
Mind- Standard

Character Biography
Everyone assumes old cowboys drink alone, which might be true somewhere- in movies, or maybe in prison, or movies about prison, or something. Honestly sometimes I think people get confused, like maybe they think what makes you a cowboy in the first place is the fact that you’re drinking alone. No, don’t listen, I don’t know nothing, it’s just I got a choice to make in the morning and I don’t know what I’m gonna do. If I say no they’re gonna find someone else to do it, someone not as good. If I say no, I’m killing those kids.

Personality
You gotta pick, every day you make a choice if you’re going to be the cowboy or the shepherd. Shout and slap leather, throw yourself in front of a charge, break them down and build them back up better- that’s the Cowboy way. The Shepherd leads from the front, rewards initiative, teaches group strategy, and always has an eye out for safety. There is no right answer, maybe, or both and neither is the right answer. Shit, can I really do this? In my heart I know I am the best man for the job. For this one job, anyway.

Powers and Abilities

Iron Will- Standard
I never tasted virgin wind
I’ll give credit where credit is due- Irene, Miss March, was totally honest on the phone. She’s got a daughter. To be honest, I’m not sure how that’s possible. I know Luther is still around somewhere. Blind Mike too. We are all old soldiers, those of us who are left, but the tree on the hill has too many plaques and some days there’s not enough Bourbon. If I go back, they’re going to want me sober, or mostly sober, and if I don’t go back there’s no point in drinking anyway. Tonight is it, then. Cheers. Bottoms up, Cowboy.

Iron Will- Standard
those whispered lies and
There were five of us, originally, the first time anyone thought of making a distinction between Sentinels and whatever it was we were supposed to be. Irene was there, in those days she could’ve actually modeled for a pinup calendar, and Blind Mike back when he was just Mike. The three of us, plus two more- three survivors and two plaques. Sollus got tapped by the Jupiter League and wound up dying in an asylum in Holland. Muriel, sweet immortal Muriel, left for the stars, never to return. God, I was so virile then, so dangerous, the perfect apex predator.

Iron Will- Standard
cross my hearts have known
Sometimes you think about your grandfather, wonder what he was like when he was my age, and you realize you were already six years old by then. My grandpa used to tell us stories- he was from the old country- who the hell knows what he thought he was teaching us, but we listened anyway. I’m going to do it. I mean, really, I decided the moment they asked me, I just didn’t want to feel like a pushover. I’m an old man, I can’t hurt anyone any more, but maybe I can keep those kids from hurting each other.

Tactician- Standard
a thousand shores before
By the 1970’s we had become the Alpha Sentinels, then they decided to duplicate the formula. Irene stayed on as leader of the Alpha Sentinels, Blind Mike, Luther, and Muriel moved to a new public works team called Bravo Sentinels. I got picked to head up a third team- they wanted to call us Delta but someone, probably Karen Fairweather, pitched the name Stormriders and it caught on. Anyway I had a reputation as a bad-boy brawler in those days, so the Stormriders immediately got stuck with that image, but they were good kids who deserved better than they got.

Environmental Awareness- Standard
I never felt the cleansing rain
One of the old-country yarns my grandfather used to tell was Lady Vyras and the Silver Moon, which is the kind of cautionary our people are always spinning for no reason other than a tradition of folkloric superstition. I always thought my nose must be at least as good as hers, but who knows how much of that story was even true? I grew up on all that stuff- be vigilant, respect others’ territory, marry your own people, don’t *vulgarity* with gypsies, lessons culled from centuries of someone else’s experience. Every lesson worth teaching has to be learned first-hand anyway.

Regeneration- Standard
the gutters gag and
I wonder what they’ve heard about me? These kids- I know they’ve had rough time of it already. If it’s possible to be 100% Cowboy, it’s Knox. Now there’s a man who drank alone. The whole thing’s a bureaucracy now, pencil pushers and politicians running the show… shit, I don’t want to go back, not to that. I don’t really have a choice, though. I mean, Irene has autonomy, and Blind Mike to some extent, and I’ve been gone for years, and anyway isn’t just being old in and of itself a license to do whatever the hell you want?

Hyper Sense- Standard
blush to rust against
God I can picture it now- pulling up in my Jeep tomorrow, stepping out in my old Stormriders jacket, treating the Clacks like my own private VIP parking lot, pissing off whatever newbie they’ve got on security detail and later hearing him call me “sir,” hell maybe I’ll even get in a fight. Yeah, right. And then I’ll get dressed down by Miss March in front of everyone. Shit, actually, I wonder if anyone calls her Irene anymore? I’ll tell you one thing: I’m not calling any of them “recruits.” As far as I’m concerned, a Sentinel’s a Sentinel, period.

Transformation- Standard
old rhythms- I ignore
They say archetypes, and I don’t really know what that means. We were just a bunch of weirdos- the sexy cyborg, the quiet god, the devout magician, the penitent beast, the wise child. My only hope is that these kids are like we were- confident, optimistic, and just a little reckless. Whatever they have or have not heard about me, I hope to convince them that it’s not what I am, but who I am that matters. Tonight, though, we drink. To the past, to the future, to absent friends and lost love, and the promise of a better tomorrow.

#2 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:04 PM

Damn that was good. I'm glad I'm not in this competition.

#3 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:24 PM

Last two sentences were the best.

#4 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:50 PM

I could see this guy wanting to join this team to get that "old thing" back.

#5 Nilan

Nilan

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

Someone could've told me to read this before going through all that trouble of creating a character for the tournament.

#6 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:07 PM

all this praise. my prediction: WWW dies in the first round.

#7 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:57 PM

Thinking of submitting as-is. I thought about expanding the character sheet, but I like the succinctness of it- it kinda plays as rambling between rounds at the bar.

Anyone notice anything that needs changed?

#8 Shilane

Shilane

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Drawing comics and pinups. At times, writing. Being a Spriest. Stuff. Mr. Graves <3

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

Jesus, this is good, challenge character or not. I think you did a great job of setting him up for a larger story too. There's plenty of mystery and vagueness surrounding his past and apprehension and suspense about his future to create some pretty genuine curiosity, at least for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users