• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Buzz Line

Buzz Line

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Interests:The behavior and habitat of fauna. History. Cultures. Fiction?

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

Spider-man 2099 and regular Spider-man are two different characters with different jobs and different powers. Movie Catwoman is nothing like comic book catwoman. They are different characters with different origins and one doesn't even have powers.

But why do "The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers"(Movie verse) need a spot? They are all the same as characters as the television version of the Power Rangers. That's like having a spot for Superman and then a spot for Superman with mullet and another for the one time superman wore a black shirt.(at least Superman Blue has completely different powers). Why can't someone just write in the set up, this is from the part in the movie when the power rangers were sky diving? I thought if you wanted to show a character in a different light you could just add another picture to their profile. I thought we wouldn't need Kid Goku anymore, we could include a picture of Goku as a kid.

We don't really need multiple slots for the same character as we can put up multiple images for someone and you can explain yourself in a setup. We don't need Kid Goku anymore because we can just add a picture of Goku as a kid to his profile. We don't need a profile of Spider-man with six arms, that was just a brief period in history. Just say you're using six armed spider-man in your setup.

Now a list of duplicate characters, this list will be edited as other people list examples or argue someone different enough to justify a separate profile. The moderators can do something about them if they wish on their own time.

FIRST COMPLETE DUPLICATES:not any pretense of difference is even acknowledged.

• Sin and Sin (Sinthea Schmidt).
  • Dr. Wily and Dr. Wiley the second is misspelled
  • Hybrid and Hybrid One doesn't even have an image.
  • Yeerks and Visser Three have the same picture.
  • Mikaboshi, The same character has two entries!

OTHERS:The ones that will be debated.

• Just one slot for 616 Spider-man!. He can have images added to his profile, we don't need a separate profile for every suit Peter wore.
  • Just one slot for Norman Osborn! Iron Patriot's links immediately start describing the Green Goblin. Does it really matter how Osborn dresses by now?
  • Rinzler and Tron: They are the same person, one is just a picture of him in a full face helmet, the other isn't.
  • Goku and Kid Goku:Same guy at different points in his life.
  • Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers(Movie verse):There isn't any real difference between the movie verse and non movie characters.
  • Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees, and Freddy Krueger. How are their 2000s remakes different enough to get separate profiles?
  • Frank Castle Max and The Punisher: the same person. Max only means different subject matter in the comic.
  • Old Man Logan is Wolverine In The Future, the same person.
  • Kid Gohan and Mystic Gohan are the same person. Mirai Gohan can probably be excused as he is from an alternate timeline, regular Gohan reaches the same age with different results.
  • Star Killer and Darth Stalker are the same person. The latter is just a bonus after beating the game.
  • Wondra and Jubilee are the same person. Just add Wondra's picture to Jubilee's profile.
  • Is there a real difference between Omniman and Young Omniman or is one just the other when he was younger? That doesn't need a separate slot.
  • Do We Really Need Four Ninja Turtles Teams? Three seems good enough. One Shredder should be enough too.
  • DC's Stephanie Brown doesn't need two entries. One of them has an image of both of her costumes, and all she did was change costumes!

#2 Boratz

Boratz

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:39 PM

Spider-man 2099 and regular Spider-man are two different characters with different jobs and different powers. Movie Catwoman is nothing like comic book catwoman. They are different characters with different origins and one doesn't even have powers.

But why do "The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers"(Movie verse) need a spot? They are all the same as characters as the television version of the Power Rangers. That's like having a spot for Superman and then a spot for Superman with mullet and another for the one time superman wore a black shirt.(at least Superman Blue has completely different powers). Why can't someone just write in the set up, this is from the part in the movie when the power rangers were sky diving? I thought if you wanted to show a character in a different light you could just add another picture to their profile. I thought we wouldn't need Kid Goku anymore, we could include a picture of Goku as a kid.

We don't really need multiple slots for the same character as we can put up multiple images for someone and you can explain yourself in a setup. We don't need Kid Goku anymore because we can just add a picture of Goku as a kid to his profile. We don't need a profile of Spider-man with six arms, that was just a brief period in history. Just say you're using six armed spider-man in your setup.

Now a list of duplicate characters, this list will be edited as other people list examples or argue someone different enough to justify a separate profile. The moderators can do something about them if they wish on their own time.

Rinzler and Tron: They are the same person, one is just a picture of him in a full face helmet, the other isn't.

Goku and Kid Goku:Same guy at different points in his life.

Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees, and Freddy Krueger. How are their 2000s remakes different enough to get separate profiles?

Well remake Jason actually runs, but I don't think that deseves his own character. They have Old Man Logan and Wolverine. Aren't they the same person? Also we got Frank Castle from the MAX series and The Punisher.

#3 Mercenaryblade

Mercenaryblade

Mercenary Captain

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,441 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, fencing, and more.

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:10 PM

Rinzler and Tron: They are the same person, one is just a picture of him in a full face helmet, the other isn't.

[[/quote]

Is Rinzler even in the database? He's actualy Tron reprogrammed to be evil, he also uses two discs. So I would say he counts as a different character.

#4 Buzz Line

Buzz Line

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:00 PM

I don't thinks so. Would Rinzler with a light cycle and Rinzler with one of those flying things be different characters then. Further more the brainwashing/reprogramming was able to be undone and he doesn't really display much difference in personality, or really any personality with the helmet on for most of the movie.

#5 patrickthekid

patrickthekid

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,017 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:26 PM

We should first look for those who are complete duplicates of each other.Sin is from Marvel comics.

Sin

Sin (Sinthea Schmidt)

The second one is Dr. Wily from Megaman, but his other profile is misspelled.

Dr. Wily

Dr. Wiley

#6 shellsbut

shellsbut

Nuking the site from orbit

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:27 PM

We should first look for those who are complete duplicates of each other.Sin is from Marvel comics.

Sin

Sin (Sinthea Schmidt)

The second one is Dr. Wily from Megaman, but his other profile is misspelled.

Dr. Wily

Dr. Wiley

I am surprised that there is still a few little errs

#7 Dragix

Dragix

He Is Still a Hero

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • Interests:Anything to do with dragons

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:29 PM

first Kid Goku in totally different because one can't go SS and Goku can

Second Rinzler is evil so there for you can't really do anything about it

third The movie version is stronger

fourth the 2000 versions are again completly different

Five Old man Logan is TOTALLY different than Wolverine because he 1 killed the hulk 2 can't heal that well

and last The setups do nothing because the people who don't read them and just vote do exactly that that is why they are needed

#8 patrickthekid

patrickthekid

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,017 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

I am surprised that there is still a few little errs

Serge was able to clean up most of the duplicates when he reopened up the additions page. I helped out. Consider me the duplicate watchdog.

#9 LegendX

LegendX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:MMA, pro wrestling, muscle cars, sport bikes, pitbulls, Star Wars, Star Trek, hip hop, stand-up comedy and the philosophy of pointlessly, useless stuff.

Posted 02 July 2011 - 06:26 PM

The Jason remake(I think Freddy and Michael too) establishes a new continuity. As such he should be a separate character. As far as I'm concerned only characters from separate continuities or alternate realities deserve separate profiles.

#10 Buzz Line

Buzz Line

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:31 PM

Kid Goku can't go super, assuming we ignore Dragon Ball GT(and I mostly do), but adult Goku couldn't always go Super Saiyan either. Should Goku from Buu saga be a separate character too just so people get he can go super saiyan 3? I think since they are the same person, different pictures of Goku can be shown at different parts of his life to illustrate how he changed. Articles listed on their profiles both describe Goku's childhood, adulthood, and death and rebirth.

Rinzler is "evil" but he's still the same Tron from the first movie. Those turned evil get returned to good in Tron's world anyway. Rinzler was just a stage in Tron's life, not a separate identity. The only reason for keeping them separate is maybe to avoid spoiling the movie for those who haven't seen it, but if they haven't seen it, they aren't going to understand a picture of Rinzler anyway. All a writer has to do is say "Tron Brainwashed" and most people won't think "Aha Rinzler."

The movie Power Rangers are not stronger. They get an upgrade but its the same exact upgrade they get in season 3. According to the links provided the only difference is the villain who caused them to get that upgrade.

Old man Logan is still the same person so much as James Howlet is also the same person. Do we really need an entry for every character as they grow older? Its not like Hulk who actually meets his future self multiple times.

Some people don't read setups? So no matter who is involved then, they won't care if Goku is and Juggernaut are in an eating contest, a fight or a game show they won't even know because they didn't read the setup. By that argument why even write them? "CBUB players like to see a good detailed fight set-up between two relatively evenly matched opponents. A poor scenario will hurt your standing while a good one will help." A good setup will tell the condition, and location of the fight. The condition of, say Goku, is if he is healthy? Does he have heart disease? When is this? Is this when he is first found in the wilderness? Is him in the after life? Is this him when he first turned super saiyan? Is this after he learned instant transmission?

To my reasoning, 12 years old, 30 years old, giant ape form, super saiyan form, in a space suit, in armor, in swim trunks Goku is Goku. If one period stands out, his profile allows multiple pictures. If someone doesn't read the setup, that's their problem.

#11 Buzz Line

Buzz Line

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:46 PM

For Freddy, Michael Myers and Jason, I might be convinced, but not completely yet.

Here's the first Friday the Thirteenth. Woman kills people for revenge, she gets killed. Here is the second. Son of murdered woman kills people, he dies. Here is the remake, son of murdered woman kills people. As Boratz puts it, new Jason runs, that's about it. That and it is condensed into two movies.

Freddy, here's a Nightmare on Elm's street. Parent kill child molester. Child molester become demon and kills kids in their dreams. Here's the remake, child molester is killed by parents, child molester become demon and kills dreaming kids. Kids pull demon out of dreamworld and kill him. Difference? One kid's last name and two kids live instead of just one.

Halloween. Michael Myers is a little kid who kills his sister. He grows up, kills baby sitters, tries to kill his other sister and gets shot a lot and dies. Remake:We learn why he kills people, he kills a lot more people, and gets shot once by a different person. Actually he's the most different out of the three, I may vote to leave him.

#12 Mercenaryblade

Mercenaryblade

Mercenary Captain

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,441 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, fencing, and more.

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:58 PM

Rinzler is "evil" but he's still the same Tron from the first movie. Those turned evil get returned to good in Tron's world anyway. Rinzler was just a stage in Tron's life, not a separate identity. The only reason for keeping them separate is maybe to avoid spoiling the movie for those who haven't seen it, but if they haven't seen it, they aren't going to understand a picture of Rinzler anyway. All a writer has to do is say "Tron Brainwashed" and most people won't think "Aha Rinzler."

Well by that logic Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker should count as duplicates, same as Starkiller and Darth Stalker

#13 Buzz Line

Buzz Line

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 09:10 PM

I suppose I'll get hell from Star Wars fans for suggesting but I probably would have put up a composite picture with both of them on it. The name and history associated with Darth Vader would mean using those two interchangeably would cause a lot more confusion than Tron and Rinzler. Vader also had more than half his body replaced with Robot parts. Rinzler just put on a different helmet.

Still, that's a hard point to debate against.

#14 LegendX

LegendX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:MMA, pro wrestling, muscle cars, sport bikes, pitbulls, Star Wars, Star Trek, hip hop, stand-up comedy and the philosophy of pointlessly, useless stuff.

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:00 PM

Well by that logic Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker should count as duplicates, same as Starkiller and Darth Stalker

I could agree to that. I can see why some would want Anakin and Vader separate though. Starkiller and Stalker I really don't want separate, especially since one is really just bonus content.

#15 shellsbut

shellsbut

Nuking the site from orbit

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 01:54 AM

Serge was able to clean up most of the duplicates when he reopened up the additions page. I helped out. Consider me the duplicate watchdog.

Cheers, thanks. How bad was it?

#16 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:39 PM

YEah, I'm gonna add all like 100+ or so versions of Spawn. Why not? They're all different people with different backgrounds.

#17 patrickthekid

patrickthekid

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,017 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:12 PM

Cheers, thanks. How bad was it?

We had at least twenty duplicates, including that of Marvel Ares, Pee Wee Herman and the Shiar Guard.

#18 Boratz

Boratz

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 01:40 PM

EDI. It's a fictional robot fighter plane from the film Stealth. At one time I saw one in Pop Culture and Sci-Fi, I believe. I'm not real sure.

#19 Buzz Line

Buzz Line

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:15 PM

I've only found one EDI, but I'll keep an eye out for a double. That character should be in Sci Fi, not pop culture.

I'm going to argue that Darth Vader lasted three movies and became imbedded in pop culture before the decade the prequels came out and showed Anakin. Not that they are still the same person but they may be excused. Rinzler only showed up for one movie and was gone before the movie was over. Its like making character sheet for the one time that Spider-man decided to wear a bag on his head because he lost his mask. I'm also putting up Iron Spider-man, as it was just Spider-man in a different suit, not a new character.

#20 patrickthekid

patrickthekid

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,017 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

What have I done?

http://www.electricf...ts/show?cid=151

http://www.electricf...s/show?cid=7530

Please delete the latter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic