25 replies to this topic

#1 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

1973. A portal opens in the wastelands of Antarctica. From this portal bellows forth beasts and monsters never seen on Earth. As these creatures began to emerge, their appearance began to warp the environment around them. The ice and snow soon parted, giving way to swamps and jungle. It was as if these creatures were terraforming the Earth with every step.

Researchers at the various national outposts in Antarctica soon discovered this altered landscape, and several of these nations joined together to research this portal. While attempts to close the portal met with no success, they were able to limit its output so that the terraformed zone ceased to expand. For a couple of years, "New Eden" was a research hotspot. Scientists of all vocations did everything they could to secure a stay in this new ecological zone. Numerous medical and pharmaceutical breakthroughs were on the cusp of discovery, and research on the energy output of the portal seemed to be leading towards new fuels and the like.

But in 1975, something else started to emerge from the portal.

While the lifeforms that emerged prior to 1975 were by no means benevolent (Four researchers are on record having lost their lives to animal attacks.), despite their alien nature they were no more harmful than the sort of animal life already found on Earth. But these new beings, all of whom seemed to share no unique physiology or appearance, were entirely hostile and possessed a sinister intelligence.

And they were here to conquer.

New Eden was quickly lost. The portal's limitations were removed and the zone started to spread quickly across the continent. Within weeks of the initial breakthrough, small forces of these alien invaders started to appear in Australia, Argentina, Khazan, and other locations in the deep southern hemisphere. While the initial waves were easily repelled by local armed forces, each new wave was larger and more powerful than the previous.

While superheroes had been confronting this menace since the initial attack (Several well-known heroes of the era were a part of the permanent research team station in New Eden), in the first few weeks of the invasion there had yet to be a concentrated, focused effort by one of the major superteams. While the invasion was serious, it had yet to prove to be a serious enough problem for any of the major teams to devote all of their attention and resources to combat. Members of the Jupiter League and the Sentinels had faced the invasion on an individual basis, but they also had other worldly problems to contend with. Crime doesn't stop just because aliens decide to invade Antarctica.

But as these creatures started to make their way north, The Guardians decided to be the first to "take it to the enemy." The Guardians were largely seen as a second-tier team. They didn't have the publicity of the Sentinels or the iconic nature of The Jupiter League, but they did their part in the fight against evil. But it was their overlooked status that allowed them to devote all of their energies to fighting the invasion, as fewer powers were looking to them to help in other danger spots around the world.

Their plan was two-fold: A) Find a way to seal off the portal once and for all, and B) Defeat whatever force lies beyond the portal to help ensure it would never be able to return to Earth.

With the aid of several other heroes from around the globe, The Guardians were able to break through to New Eden and fight their way through the portal. While many of the other heroes stayed behind to defend two of the Guardians tasked with sealing the portal, the remaining nine members of the team breached the portal.

While their journey into the portal seemed to last mere minutes, the seven who survived the ordeal spoke of their encounter with this alien world lasting weeks on end. Details were scarce, as two of the survivors were mentally devastated and the five other remaining members spoke little of their encounter, but they were able to confirm that they defeated the leader of these alien forces and ensured that the remaining forces would retreat back to their homeworld.

And with that the portal was sealed and the world was saved from the invasion.

Within weeks of these events, one of the surviving members of The Guardians attempted to reopen the portal. His teammates were forced to subdue him, but in his betrayal he murdered one of his own teammates. He claimed that "his masters" commanded him to act in such a fashion and that his will was not his own. He was incarcerated for his actions, but soon after he died of massive organ failure due to an unknown, alien disease.

About a year later, in 1976, another member of The Guardians succumbed to madness. She attempted to hold the UN hostage, claiming that she was the only being fit for ruling the Earth. She made many cryptic proclamations, claiming that it was her time in "the other world" that opened her eyes to "the truth," and all she was doing was fulfilling her destiny. Again, The Guardians were forced to fight one of their own, but this time they were forced to kill their former friend in order to save her UN hostages.

With this, all that remained of The Guardians were five of the nine who entered the portal and a lone member who stayed behind to close the portal. It was after the second "betrayal" that said lone member started to piece everything together. Something happened to the other members of The Guardians when they went through the portal. Maybe it was isolated to the two members who had gone mad, but they began their own investigation none the less. Whatever it is that this member discovered, they were unable to reveal it to the world as they were found dead along side a reporter in Port of Kings in late 1976.

With this string of betrayals and murders, The Guardians' numbers were decimated. The five remaining members of the group chose to disband and parted from public life. Everyone assumed that they simply returned to civilian life, as none of them joined other teams or struck out on their own.

That is until five years later. In 1981, A Sentinels shuttle returning from orbit exploded. Nothing indicated that a malfunction occurred during reentry. The crew were able to transmit a few messages before the explosion, citing several objects that looked vaguely human-like appearing along side the shuttle. The last message received before the explosion said "Doesn't that look like XXXXX from The Guardians?"

Hours after the accident, all of the major television networks across the globe were momentarily hijacked. On the screen appeared the Sentinels who were believed to have died in the shuttle explosion. After the camera rested on them for a few seconds, five individuals stepped in front of the captured Sentinels. While their appearances had changed slightly due to age and other factors, these five individuals were clearly the surviving members of The Guardians.

"Six years ago, we saved this world from invasion. But in the process we fell. Now we are here to claim what is ours. We saved this world, and thus it is now ours. We are The Fallen, and these so-called heroes are our first spoils of war."

With that message, The Fallen had announced their presence to the world.

---

The Syndicate represents organized crime. They use criminal acts as a means for personal power. They aren't interested in ruling or destroying.

The Children of Sayang are a destructive, seemingly anarchic force. They're what the old school Fallen used to be.

This version of The Fallen, to put it simply, are The Legion of Doom. They're a superpowered villain group. They want to force their will upon the world. They take what they want by force. They aren't interested in murder and destruction for the sake of murder and destruction, although they aren't above such evil things either. They simply want to rule this world as they see fit and do so overtly. They're meant to be your classic supervillain group. That's a role we haven't fulfilled in the FPL.

They operate out of New Eden, the aforementioned jungle/swamp created by this portal in Antarctica. They've since reopened the portal, but only slightly. Just enough for them to siphon off the energies for their uses. While maps still exist showing where New Eden SHOULD be, it has since been cloaked through magical, psychic, and technological means. Basically, unless The Fallen want you to know where it is, it is impossible to find New Eden.

Much like the classic "conquering" villain groups, their actions all work towards some grand "take over the world" scheme. Whatever actions they take, be it attacking transport ships for their raw materials or running slave trade schemes, they're all towards fulfilling whatever scheme they're currently working towards.

One of the main "themes' of the team is their reputation for taking in "fallen" heroes. The team was created by five heroes who were mysteriously corrupted by otherworldly forces, and because of this the group has a "fetish" for turning that which was once good into a force of domination. While conventional villains are welcome into their ranks, they take special effort to "recruit" heroes that are down on their luck or who were recently expelled from their team. Roughly 30% of The Fallen's ranks comprise of individuals who were once considered superheroes.

That's it for now. Feel free to comment, make suggestions, or whatever.

Also, I intentionally didn't name any of the members of The Guardians. If people like this idea, I figure we can create said characters later. Maybe make a contest out of it or something.

#2 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:50 PM

It seems like a good backstory, a little bit more specific than some of the other public teams. I can see a lot of dramatic power struggles for this since the goal of everyone involved is to gain power. I might move Corbin in since his goal is to rule the world, or more specifically help someone else rule the world so that Sayang can't destroy it and kill him in the process. I'd throw Serras in as well for the possible Guardian tournament, depending on the timing.

One suggestion I might have, is that if the Fallen are interested in corrupting heroes that perhaps one branch of the Fallen be a clandestine organization within the Sentinels to help them do that. Double agents who appear to be normal heroes to the outside world, but also help recruit disgraced heroes to the Fallen, perhaps by setting them up to fail in the first place. This network would keep the Fallen one step ahead of the Sentinels while remaining completely inconspicuous. It would be a cell-like structure to assure that if anyone ever was caught they would only be able to finger those closet to them. This is of course assuming they manage to survive a sentinels holding cell without mysteriously dying before they can spill the beans. Some Sentinels may dismiss this network as a myth (and it very well may be), but others have some inkling as to the goings on. If Bravo Squad is the best of the best, the public face, these guys are the dirty little secret, the Echo squad.

Or whatever better name can be come up with...

#3 Magnetrex

Magnetrex

Slang for sucks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool and all shooting some b-ball outside of the school.

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:39 PM

This story is pretty awesome in my opinion Landon. A perfect example of how the Fallen should be as a super villain group. Also, now that you are mentioning suggestions, I like to recommend my little community of The Town into your organization. Think of it as both a waypoint and a safe house for the more elite Fallen members (which also includes its founding members). If you are interested in more detailed information about it just let me know because I would love to dip my hat deeper into the RP pool.

#4 Updatedude

Updatedude

Don't feed him after midnight

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:08 PM

A proposal for their base of operations within the swamps of New Eden.

During the initial invasion, there was one particular invader of note. A giant round headed squid creature. A MEGA squid (squid, 'cause it had more than 8 tentacles).

However, because of how gargantuan this creature was, it prompted the hero teams to immediately take action to stop it before it could leave New Eden and begin its rampage upon the world. As such, it never even got far off from the portal when it was ultimately defeated. And there it sat in the swamps, until the Guardians came to investigate. What they found, was an ideal base of operations.

Despite being ostensibly "dead", the "carcass" was still fully functional. And was more than willing to assist its new "hosts" in their invasion and domination of the world.

Thus, the squid creature dug its primary tentacles deep into the earth (as foundations) and righted itself. Internally, it formed many compartments for its parasitic "guests".

The base has many innate abilities. By default, it's a bleached white squid skull with blue tentacles, but changing it's coloration is the least of its abilities. It is able to harden or soften parts of its body at will. Thus, the exterior husk is immensely hard and dense. Internally, the walls are generally hard. It can form hard furniture or soft beds. It's walls can be smooth or rough or if you just wanna hang a picture, adhesive (it forms microscopic suction cups on the surface). The walls can light up and there are many versatile internal tentacles for practical as well as... "recreational" purposes. It's pretty much the most bitching pad, like, EVAH. It's even able to produce chemical compounds for the resident mad scientists types. In fact, speaking of mad scientist types, it can even spawn Mini-squid-like creatures to help with the grunt work (random trivia: these spawned mini squids have an average lifespan of 150 years).

There's also a special internal swimming pool. Special in that no one actually swims in it, for something so massive also requires a recharge every now and then, especially when it's serving so many guests. So whenever it's low on power or just as a snack, it'll snatch someone up and drown them in said swimming pool. The pool is actually a multipurpose life/soul/energy/fear/pain/flesh/destiny/love/hate/fun/memory/stress/etc draining area. A single victim can produce massive amounts of energy simply because the pool doesn't waste any aspect of a victim. The victims are completely nullified and converted into energy.

It seldom has to pluck anyone of its guests though, as the pool is also the perfect place to dispose of prisoners, intruders, slaves who've outlived their usefulness, incompetent minions and so forth.

In summary, they live in a multipurpose, malevolent monster. A dome shaped base of operations in the swamps of New Eden.

#5 M Bison

M Bison

Cool dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:29 AM

I am in favour of Landon, Deo and Updatedude's proposals. The Fallen were in need of direction, and this suits perfectly.

#6 ThreeDark

ThreeDark

Hobbit

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:cacoethes scribendi

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:48 AM

It is not a direction. It is a way of life.

#7 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2011 - 03:48 AM

I'm glad somebody is doing something with The Fallen, and that angle- temptation and corruption- already gives the group strong characterization as individuals and as a team.

I do think Fallen infiltration of the SLJ should, at present, be restricted to a single operative (possibly in prime position to recruit others) so that the full story can be told. You never know which creators might have Sentinels they want to see seduced to the dark side...

While I'm going to miss the iconic Fallen Tower, There's a very Legion of Doom feeling to the new fortress (sorta Cthulhu by way of Unicron.) Cool.

#8 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:37 AM

:P

I like it. The whole idea of them being "Fallen" heroes is great and the whole backstory is even better.

#9 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:46 AM

Bump, for those in the know this needs a bump.

#10 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

I'm interested in the Fallen.

#11 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

No one really know what's going down with the Fallen. New Eden was an idea, but I think it's so far removed from the goings-on in Khazan that no one really used it much.

#12 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

Wrong. New Eden is the Fallen. The Slackers know what's going on with it. Just waiting on the slackers to move on it.

Note: I probably wouldn't call them the slackers if I were you.

#13 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

Oh, well if there's plans in the works that no one else knows about then peons like me and darkender don't get to play. The Fallen becomes a game for those in-the-know until they write some stuff for us to build on. I have character ideas and stuff (I think I'm putting Radical in The Fallen whenever the character builder gets back up - but now I don't know) but because I don't know exactly what's going on I don't know how to weave the characters into the story we're sharing.

My point is: I'm interested and ready and excited. What's we playing?

#14 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:41 PM

Pseudonym, the majority of what you need to know is in this thread? Only thing missing is the characters. What else do you want? I created Epoch with the information above. That was it. Takes some initiative with the info you got. Plus it's not a matter of peons or whatever. It's a matter of being able to sit through hours of no-talking on #FPL to eventually here something FPL related. Hell, Bobisbeast probably knows more about what's going on with FPL proposals and ideas than I do.

#15 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:56 PM

Okay, I guess I'll read up all around. Maybe I missed stuff.

#16 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

Oh, well if there's plans in the works that no one else knows about then peons like me and darkender don't get to play. The Fallen becomes a game for those in-the-know until they write some stuff for us to build on. I have character ideas and stuff (I think I'm putting Radical in The Fallen whenever the character builder gets back up - but now I don't know) but because I don't know exactly what's going on I don't know how to weave the characters into the story we're sharing.

My point is: I'm interested and ready and excited. What's we playing?

Actually, I already accepted this into my FPL world. I even referenced it in the final chapter of Rise of the Fallen where Redeye spoke to the Dayshift in the opera house. I don't know if there was anymore progress made with this, but I'd love to be apart of it. The only thing we don't know is the character's names and I'm sure somebody will stop being lazy (Probably not) and whip those together.

I was only posting to stir some interest in it. Hooray?

#17 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:13 PM

I've been meaning to do some sort of "recruitment drive" for The Fallen. A contest where the creators of, say, the best two entries get to make members of the original Guardians. Or maybe two newer members that have ascended in the ranks since the team's inception.

But we need some more rank and file Fallen characters before that.

#18 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

Rank and File. Got it. Generic villain types.

#19 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

I do have something in the works...

#20 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:06 PM

Speaking of Fallen, how did Epoch get so many losses. You guys suck. Epoch is awesome. I'm going to go stand in the rain now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users