60 replies to this topic

#21 ParaBoss

ParaBoss

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:33 AM

It seems there's a lot of reading you have to do in order to get back into this fpl thing.

#22 ThreeDark

ThreeDark

Hobbit

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:cacoethes scribendi

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:49 AM

Well, you know, reading and writing. Some even say they tend to go hand in hand.

#23 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:10 AM

There isn't really any reading yet. Just wait!

#24 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:42 PM

Ok, I've made a character, posted it on character analysis. Now what? How do I do matches, how do I join a team, what are points and how do you get them?

#25 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 11:01 AM

Once you add your character to the gallery it'll automatically be placed in matches. If you want to join a private team then you'll have to ask the team leader. Regular teams you pick once you make the character and your in. I'm assuming you're not talking about power points. Points are rewarded once you win a match. Once you get 500 then you get more "power points" and can make stronger characters.

#26 M Bison

M Bison

Cool dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:04 PM

I was just wondering, how "adult" are we allowed to go with characters? I wanted to write a character with something of a controversial/adult theme, and wondered if it would be allowed.

#27 The Rookie

The Rookie

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:45 PM

Given the average age of an FPL-er I'd say you're allowed to go for a soft rated R if you'll allow me to use the movie rating equivalent of age appropriateness. Landon makes liberal use of the F word and Penelope is implied that she was a *insensitivity* victim.

(heh, insensitivity, i can't say it on the boards!)

I think good taste is ultimately the barometer of what is and is not allowed for FPL characters. Just don't have a character who's M.O is stomping on baby heads and you should be fine (or if that IS his M.O write it very well and people will usually allow it to slide =D )

#28 M Bison

M Bison

Cool dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 05:54 PM

Given the average age of an FPL-er I'd say you're allowed to go for a soft rated R if you'll allow me to use the movie rating equivalent of age appropriateness. Landon makes liberal use of the F word and Penelope is implied that she was a *insensitivity* victim.

Well the character I already have in Character analysis is implied to be a... insensitivity-ist. I guessed as long as it wasn't spelled out it would be fine.

The next character I'm writing up isn't an outright monster in that sense. Essentially, he's a man driven mad by the fact he's attracted to children. He'd never do anything to children, he knows it's wrong and he knows he should seek help. But he's so paranoid that someone is going to find out about his problem that, rather than visit a psychiatrist, he's going out to fight villains, as a way to prove to himself that he's a decent person, and also as a kind of masochistic punishment for his problem.

I was worried that it was a bit too edgy.

EDIT: Essentially, the theme will be edgy and adult as opposed to what actually happens.

EDIT (Again): Seems I should have looked around more, serge has stated his official opinion on such things here. So it should be alright.

#29 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

We should fix the FAQ on the FPLwiki. Because it still talks about kits.

#30 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

Or we could just direct people here.

#31 Tarvius

Tarvius

Ironwolverorschach Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

Just don't have a character who's M.O is stomping on baby heads...

Wasn't that a Rhekarid character at some point?

On a more serious note, perhaps its time to start filling out the FAQ. Since I'm not nearly as comfortable with explaining the system as most of the admins; I'll leave it up to them to change anything I submit. Also, additional clarity is more than welcome and appreciated. Of course, if I say something completely wrong: Please don't hesitate to let me know.

So in the spirit of procrastination...

FPL FAQ

[Placeholder]

Pending...

#32 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:17 PM

I'll start.

Oh hey, I didn't see you there. Welcome to the Fantasy Powers League.

#33 Lunacyde

Lunacyde

Don't feed him after midnight

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Comics, Guns, Sports, History, Politics, Mythology, Environmental studies,Nature, Spirituality, Survival Skills, etc.

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:09 PM

I've noticed that what people often right under personality boxes or powers boxes actually doesn't have much of anything to do with their personality or powers, but is actually just a continuation of the story or random story point. Is it frowned upon to simply describe someone personality or powers in the actual boxes labeled as such?

#34 M Bison

M Bison

Cool dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:16 PM

I've noticed that what people often right under personality boxes or powers boxes actually doesn't have much of anything to do with their personality or powers, but is actually just a continuation of the story or random story point. Is it frowned upon to simply describe someone personality or powers in the actual boxes labeled as such?

It is frowned upon.

The personality section? It does show the personality - it's usually a case of the character doing something that shows their personality. Powers? Similar - they use their powers in the section, rather than just have them described. Show, not tell. Give us the personality and powers in action, don't just describe them.

For instance, if the character is angry a lot, the personality section will be a part of the story in which the character gets angry. If they have the power of fire, then that part of the story will show the character burning something.

#35 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:18 PM

It is not necessary to shoehorn all of a character's power into the given section. For instance, if stealth is a big part of your character's MO, you can give him Standard Invisibility as his first power and then it becomes part of his character.

What goes where is, as I understand it, given to artistic liscence.

#36 Lunacyde

Lunacyde

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Comics, Guns, Sports, History, Politics, Mythology, Environmental studies,Nature, Spirituality, Survival Skills, etc.

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:25 PM

Thank You. Just trying to get a feel for it.

#37 Lunacyde

Lunacyde

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 05:44 PM

If I want to use say Hydrokinesis as a power in the FPL, should I choose Telekinesis and just name it Hyrdokinesis?

#38 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:14 PM

If I want to use say Hydrokinesis as a power in the FPL, should I choose Telekinesis and just name it Hyrdokinesis?

You could, that would work fine. If the character becomes water you could also use energy body. There used to be a power called energy manipulation that defined exactly what you are talking about, but as its gone now Telekinesis is a close enough heading

#39 Lunacyde

Lunacyde

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 06:34 PM

Thank you. I was wondering whether I would have to use transformation if her body became water. Good to know.

#40 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:06 PM

Manipulation still exists, but it's only available to Global and above level characters.

TK is fine, if you want to refine it a bit you can use Ranged, Area Effect, Multi-Attack, etc to make it work for you.

Also, as to your signature, I can't figure out what your beef is with Judd Winick specifically. Care to elaborate?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users