58 replies to this topic

#41 the atom

the atom

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:35 PM

Uh, that's all the Hive fleets, not one. Not only that, that's not their size, that's their paths of incursions into the galaxy. It's also not to scale, since if it was Hive Fleets would have their own gravity and disrupt star systems simply with their prescenes, which doesn't happen.

It's not quite to scale but it give you an idea. An average hive fleet contain roughly 1.5 billion craft. All of the Tyranid swarms would easily fill up a space the size of a solar system (or at least enough of it to matter) if they all grouped together.

#42 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:08 PM

To everyone saying Xenomorph Prime...

....Where the hell did you get that name for the Xenomorph homeworld? Cause that's not the name of it, and that's a fanon name for the Xenomorph homeworld.

-Rakai'Thwei

#43 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:45 PM

To everyone saying Xenomorph Prime...

....Where the hell did you get that name for the Xenomorph homeworld? Cause that's not the name of it, and that's a fanon name for the Xenomorph homeworld.

-Rakai'Thwei

It's also the commonly acknowledged/accepted name for the Xenomorph homeworld. And when you say Xenomorph Prime, most people that know about the Alien/AvP franchise knows what you're talking about.

#44 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:08 AM

It's not quite to scale but it give you an idea. An average hive fleet contain roughly 1.5 billion craft. All of the Tyranid swarms would easily fill up a space the size of a solar system (or at least enough of it to matter) if they all grouped together.

I don't believe any of your numbers until you show some things that say the same. Lexicanum says: "Hive Fleets are massive locust-like Tyranid swarms, comprising billions of creatures including the actual bio-ships, living spacecraft used to cross interstellar space and the voids between galaxies."

And the WH40K wiki says (under description): "Tyranid Hive Fleets consist of millions of biomechanical craft, each serving as host to an untold number of symbiotic organisms."

Either way Hive Ships are described (second link) as "massive". If they are as massive as a Apocalypse-class Battleship with a lenght of 4km, a width of 2km and an assumed height of 2 km, they would have a volume of 16 km^3. And if we further assume that every single Tyranid bio-ship is a Hive ship with the same proportions, then a Hive fleet with a million Hive Ships with the same proportions as the abovementioned IoM ship would have a volume of 1.6E7 km3 (or 16,000,000 km3). The City, going by my past figures, has a volume of 1,900,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 km3 (19 1.9E27 km3).

118,750,000,000,000,000,000 such Hive Fleets could fit inside the City.

Hence the whole "lost, presumed eaten by locals".

Even if we were to say that all the Hive Fleets were composed entirely out of Hive Ships that were perfect spheres with 100 km diameters, and were million ship fleets they'd have a volume of 523,598.33333 km3...

The City could still hold 3,628,735,767,557,190 Hive Fleets.

And just for the hell of it, say the Hive Fleet was composed of spherical ships with a diameter of 100 km, and was composed of a billion ships each.

The City could still hold 3,628,735,767,557.190 Hive Fleets.

The City is frickin' huge.

By extension, I'm only counting the City going up to Jupiter. The Solar System, on the other hand, goes further out. So All the Hive Fleets in WH40K could sit in one Solar System, in one perfect sphere, filling out all of the volume without leaving any gaps of space between then, and the Solar System would not notice them at all.

The Solar System is frickin' huge.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

#45 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:14 AM

It's also the commonly acknowledged/accepted name for the Xenomorph homeworld. And when you say Xenomorph Prime, most people that know about the Alien/AvP franchise knows what you're talking about.

Actually, that term is not used by the AVP fandom too often. As a matter of fact a lot of people from what I know, based on the forums I go, agree that the Xenomorphs don't even have a homeworld per se because they are creations of the Space Jockeys. The canonical term, as far as the novels go, would be Proteus planet.

And Xenomorph Prime sounds like it came from that god-awful Alien Species Wiki or Xenopedia, neither of which I'd recommend as sources.

-Rakai'Thwei

#46 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:29 AM

Holy shit, RakaiThwei's signature moves! I just noticed.

#47 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:30 AM

Holy shit, RakaiThwei's signature moves! I just noticed.

LMAO!!

-Rakai'Thwei

#48 shellsbut

shellsbut

Nuking the site from orbit

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 02:48 AM

No way in hell anything from Halo could survive in the Time Tombs in the Hyperion novels. You could have a million Master Chief 's and The Shrike would kill them all in under a second. The Shrike is quite literally the fastest thing in all of fiction making the Silver Surfer look like he is standing still. I is not bound by the laws of physics and is so fast it can exist everywhere simultaneously. It cant be killed either. I wish more people read Dan Simmons' Hyperion series. The Hyperion reality is so cool. Hell in the Hyperion U people in phase suits can move at near light speed and dance around laser fire.

Not finished the series yet.

#49 skadoosh

skadoosh

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,173 posts
  • Interests:Comics, books, films, people.

Posted 11 May 2011 - 07:42 AM

No way in hell anything from Halo could survive in the Time Tombs in the Hyperion novels. You could have a million Master Chief 's and The Shrike would kill them all in under a second. The Shrike is quite literally the fastest thing in all of fiction making the Silver Surfer look like he is standing still. I is not bound by the laws of physics and is so fast it can exist everywhere simultaneously. It cant be killed either. I wish more people read Dan Simmons' Hyperion series. The Hyperion reality is so cool. Hell in the Hyperion U people in phase suits can move at near light speed and dance around laser fire.

Not finished the series yet.

Sounds cool, ive heard of those books before, i shall look them up and maybe start reading em.

And Chief does sound like hed have his work cut out for him in that realm...

#50 shellsbut

shellsbut

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:32 PM

Sounds cool, ive heard of those books before, i shall look them up and maybe start reading em.

And Chief does sound like hed have his work cut out for him in that realm...

No he wouldn't have his work cut out for him He would be dead a million times over in 1 second. He has absolutely zero chance lasting more then one thousandth of a second.

#51 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:00 PM

No he wouldn't have his work cut out for him He would be dead a million times over in 1 second. He has absolutely zero chance lasting more then one thousandth of a second.

The Shrike doesn't kill everyone that enters the Tombs, so the Master Chief would definitely have a chance of surviving.

#52 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:09 PM

It's never actually been directly stated what's down there.

What has been stated, is that even the bravest(or stupidest) wookies don't go all the way down to the ground.

The place where all wookies have to go, in order to prove their bravery and officially become an adult, is several levels above the ground, though several levels below the treetops where the wookies live.

It's generally said that if you fall and end up on the ground, you're dead. Either from the fall itself, or if the fall doesn't get you(even if you escape the fall itself unharmed) the creatures that live down there, will.

To put things in a little perspective, compared to the creatures on the ground, wookies are small, weak and vulnerable.

wait, where were they fighting on the third movie? It looked to me they were on the ground or did the Empire wipe out the dangerous animals?

#53 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:16 PM

wait, where were they fighting on the third movie? It looked to me they were on the ground or did the Empire wipe out the dangerous animals?

The battle of Kashyyyk took place in the city of Kachirho, which rests ont he Wawaatt Archipelago, which is one of the only areas on the planet that is not covered in titanic forests, and hence is a great landing site for an invading army.

There are probably no dangerous creatures there, all of the nastier things live in the deeper forests.

#54 shellsbut

shellsbut

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:39 PM

The Shrike doesn't kill everyone that enters the Tombs, so the Master Chief would definitely have a chance of surviving.

no he wouldnt stand any chance. If the Shrike wanted him dead he's dead no matter how prepaared he is. Hell there could be a thousands of him it wouldn't make a difference.

#55 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:10 PM

no he wouldnt stand any chance. If the Shrike wanted him dead he's dead no matter how prepaared he is. Hell there could be a thousands of him it wouldn't make a difference.

That's true, however you completely missed my point.

The Shrike doesn't kill everyone that enters the Tombs.

#56 skadoosh

skadoosh

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:03 PM

Could the dudes who have read the Hyperion books please give some feats for this Shrike guy?

#57 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:13 PM

Eh, one thing I know about the Shrike is that he is infinitely faster than Wally West via temporal means.

#58 skadoosh

skadoosh

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,173 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 01:37 PM

Eh, one thing I know about the Shrike is that he is infinitely faster than Wally West via temporal means.

Wow, so bullet-timer doesnt even begin to cover it... Cool.

#59 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:18 PM

The Shrike
Throughout the books it is apparent that the Shrike can travel through time, appearing to move much faster than light and appearing to exist everywhere simultaneously if it desires.

Endymion
"We don't know, sir," answers Lempriere. "It was like the old days... Hegemony Force days when the jumptroops came in by farcaster portal, sire. I mean, thousands of armored... things... appeared, everywhere, at the same second, sir. I mean, the battle only lasted five minutes. There were thousands of them. And then they were gone."

De Soya is still struggling to hear this through the gathering darkness and the roaring in his ears, but the words make no sense. "Thousands? Of what? Gone where?"

Gregorius steps forward and looks down at the father-captain. "Not thousands, sir. Just one. The Shrike."

"That's a legend..." begins Lempriere.

"Just the Shrike," continues the huge black man, ignoring the troopship captain. "It killed most of the Swiss Guard and half the regular Pax troops on Equus, downed all of the Scorpion fighters, took two torchships of the line out of business, killed everyone aboard the C-three ship, left his calling card here, and was gone in under thirty seconds. Total. All the rest was our guys shooting at each other in panic. The Shrike."

There were about 30,000 soldiers in that battle against the Shrike.

Stardestroyer.net:
Page 153 of The Rise of Endymion gives us another example of the Shrike at work. The Shrike attacked the Palestinian capital of Arafat-Kaffiyeh on Mars while the Pax was rendering the population lifeless for storage and transport, killing the entire Pax force of 362 people. A 38 second security holo of the event seems to show a dozen Shrikes, but close inspection confirms that there is only one moving so quickly as to appear to be in several places at once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users