Photo
- - - - -

Reaction vs. Super Speed and Attributes...

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Redfield

Jason Redfield

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:25 PM

Alright, before I start creating any Global level characters, I want to make sure I have a thorough understanding of power selection and the like.

First up is the matter of Reaction Speed vs. Super Speed. Say I want to have a character who is good at the quick-draw, reloading/transitioning quickly between targets with a gun, dodging, etc. As I understand it, this would all be governed by reaction speed as well as the agility attribute, as it deals with quick bursts of speed rather than moving the entire body at a very fast rate, which would be super speed.

Next up are attributes. Weak is below the level of an average person, I got that. But what about Standard vs. Superior? At what point does someone's speed become greater than standard? Or, to ask it in a different way, is it feasible for a physiologically normal human to be capable of superior level attributes, or are they more or less considered superhuman traits? I've seen different answers to this question: some have said Superior more or less equals an Olympian-level athlete or "peak-human" level of that attribute, while others have said it's Captain America level, which is decidedly super-human IMO. If anyone could quantify them roughly, I'd appreciate it.

#2 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:39 PM

Alright, before I start creating any Global level characters, I want to make sure I have a thorough understanding of power selection and the like.

First up is the matter of Reaction Speed vs. Super Speed. Say I want to have a character who is good at the quick-draw, reloading/transitioning quickly between targets with a gun, dodging, etc. As I understand it, this would all be governed by reaction speed as well as the agility attribute, as it deals with quick bursts of speed rather than moving the entire body at a very fast rate, which would be super speed.

Good at quickdraw = Reaction Speed
Reloading/Transitioning quickly between targets = Reaction Speed
Dodging (Or more correctly dodging successfully) = Acrobatics + Danger Sense + Reaction Speed (This would be an ideal combination, but not absolutely nessecary)

You could just take a higher level agility stat to circumvent Acrobatics. Depends on how you want to tell your story.

Next up are attributes. Weak is below the level of an average person, I got that. But what about Standard vs. Superior? At what point does someone's speed become greater than standard? Or, to ask it in a different way, is it feasible for a physiologically normal human to be capable of superior level attributes, or are they more or less considered superhuman traits? I've seen different answers to this question: some have said Superior more or less equals an Olympian-level athlete or "peak-human" level of that attribute, while others have said it's Captain America level, which is decidedly super-human IMO. If anyone could quantify them roughly, I'd appreciate it.

It is mostly considered (or it used to be) that no human has any attribute over Superior. Superior attributes are peak humans. This is mostly why Street level does not past Superior. You don't have to be Superior to be a superhuman however. That is the whole point of powers. Powers make you superhuman, not attributes. Attributes are not nessecarily powers, but what your body can basically do. You can be weak everything attributes and still have superhuman abilities (Ex: The Eidolon). A basic human would have standard stats and no powers. A basic sharpshooter cop would have standard stats and standard marksman + piercing. Starting to make sense? Someone like Bullseye from Daredevil may be considered Supreme or Superior (I'm not sure if his ability is superhuman) Marksman.

#3 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:43 PM

The old FPL had a system for stat levels

Superior:
usually seen as peak human, while still plausible. Olympic level or professional athlete

Supreme:
Strength: Bench pressing a skyscraper
Agility: Freakish grace,
Mind: Super-Genius
Body: nigh-invulnerable, "built to last", whatever that means. (can withstand a superior attack pretty easily)

#4 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:47 PM

So could Superior strength lift a car?

#5 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:47 PM

Actually if you just skim through some of the old HoF characters, the attribute descriptions are still there.

So could Superior strength lift a car?

Hell no. You aren't listening (reading...hee) are you? Supreme could. I guess the highest level Superior could if you consider what those Strongman competition lifters do. But not like lifting a car over their head type stuff, more like picking up the back of it in a deadlift or something. Consider Superior a peak level human. So, just go google human lifting records and that is what a Superior can do.

This is what highest level Superior strength looks like: http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Strangely enough, this is what mid level Supreme level strength looks like:

Posted Image

#6 deojusto

deojusto

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

The old system says 1,000 lbs as the peak of superior. so no car lifting.

#7 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:58 PM

No car lifting over your head. Car deadlifting...perhaps:

#8 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:02 PM

Okay, I see.

#9 Magnetrex

Magnetrex

Slang for sucks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool and all shooting some b-ball outside of the school.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:05 PM

So Ultimate level makes you bench press the skyscraper?

#10 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

So Ultimate level makes you bench press the skyscraper?

Pretty much. You can really get ridiculous at that level. I'm talking Supernova.

#11 M Bison

M Bison

Cool dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:09 PM

Deo showed that Supreme was skyscraper. I'd think ultimate is where we start making Superman level strength guys.

#12 Magnetrex

Magnetrex

Slang for sucks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool and all shooting some b-ball outside of the school.

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:11 PM

Oh wow. I think I need to rethink my characters stats. I've been going off the old FPL stats. So can you tell me what the new attributes are now? For each one, I mean.

#13 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:15 PM

Oh wow. I think I need to rethink my characters stats. I've been going off the old FPL stats. So can you tell me what the new attributes are now? For each one, I mean.

It's still based on the old system. Whichever one is benching skyscrapers then is benching skyscrapers now. I'm not sure without looking, but I most definitely wouldn't create a character without looking first.

#14 Jason Redfield

Jason Redfield

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:16 PM

Ah, so superior agility would be an Olympic gymnast level of grace (I'm purposefully not addressing powers such as Acrobat right now), or some such?

How would a superior mind or body manifest? I'm assuming superior body would be something like a professional athlete with good cardio (marathon runners, etc.). How mentally gifted would you have to be to be considered superior?

Also, stupid question, how do I view some old FPL creations to get a feel for it?

#15 deojusto

deojusto

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:47 PM

Ah, so superior agility would be an Olympic gymnast level of grace (I'm purposefully not addressing powers such as Acrobat right now), or some such?

How would a superior mind or body manifest? I'm assuming superior body would be something like a professional athlete with good cardio (marathon runners, etc.). How mentally gifted would you have to be to be considered superior?

Also, stupid question, how do I view some old FPL creations to get a feel for it?

First go to the old hall of fame and scroll down the list. Eventually one of them will have the stat your looking for.

Superior Body: Able to take punches like a pro boxer/ mixed martial arts fighter
Superior Mind: Intelligent and well educated. A smart cookie. Not quite Lex Luthor, but probably a mensa member

And yes to mags, Supreme strength was bench pressing skyscrapers, Ultimate was moving mountains.

Agility is the one that gets kind of vague with the descriptions after superior. Supreme body just says "built to last", but ultimate is described as shrugging off a city-destroying attack. so somewhere between taking a hard punch to the nose to getting a nuke dropped on you.

#16 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 08:49 PM

Supreme is Ford Tough?

#17 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:16 PM

Err I'd say Superior Strength can at least flip cars. Mothers have moved cars off they're children.

Supreme Body can do this naked. Probably more.

#18 Jason Redfield

Jason Redfield

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

Err I'd say Superior Strength can at least flip cars. Mothers have moved cars off they're children.

Generally pretty light cars, while hopped up on adrenaline. It's not as if they just picked the car up and set it aside. Rather, they just lifted the back end of it enough to allow the kid to slide out or whatever.

#19 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:30 PM

Generally pretty light cars, while hopped up on adrenaline. It's not as if they just picked the car up and set it aside. Rather, they just lifted the back end of it enough to allow the kid to slide out or whatever.

Aye, but they're not even at peak. A man at peak, on adrenaline or "In The Zone" could definitely at least flip a car.

#20 Jason Redfield

Jason Redfield

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

Aye, but they're not even at peak. A man at peak, on adrenaline or "In The Zone" could definitely at least flip a car.

I don't know -- I'd have to see proof. Superior is meant to be more or less "peak human" as I understand it. So the Strong Man competitor comparison that someone made seems pretty much on the money to me. I've seen guys in the Strong Man competition dead lift sedans and the like, but I've yet to see one of them flip a car.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users