117 replies to this topic

#101 TheJ0ke

TheJ0ke

Nuked the fridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:22 PM

This is exactly the reason I stopped reading DC. This is an example of the most BS writing I've ever heard. Are you and Godspeed_88 telling me that Superman Prime One Million forsaked the earth for thousands of years, virtually moving the Fortress of Solitude to the sun, and returned able to create universes? Haha, that sounds beyond retarded (Not aimed at you guys, but rather the folks at DC) how can the yellow sun make him that powerful? Hell, scientist says the universe is chalked full of yellow stars, and that in fact, ours is a very, very, small one. Yet Superman can now absorb it's energy to create whole universes and even upsurp the Source, The original "creator"?

This is such bad writing you guys should never had brought the character up! Also, what about the other Kryptonians... Why didn't they think to go chill in the Sun and become gods. No one thought of that but Supes? What about Brainac? Just laughing so hard over here... Sorry!

I'm glad I make mine Marvel!(Bias intended)

Silly Art.
Superman iz amazin cuz he can does nythin he want to. therefore he epic win and godly. ha!!11! i win.

#102 Artemis Entreri

Artemis Entreri

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:39 PM

Silly Art.
Superman iz amazin cuz he can does nythin he want to. therefore he epic win and godly. ha!!11! i win.

Yeah my point was that the writers sound like either, really bad writers,or rabid Superman fanboys. They could have atleast took time to write a more believable story of making Supes into a God. Personally, I hate Superman for one reason... He can do any and everything! That makes him a dull walking ex dues machina.

There are no challenges for him. I know, I know, that is precisely why most people love him, but to me it's the lamest thing. I prefer Batman because of how he wills himself the excel despite of his limitations as a human in a super human world.

It's the reason DC reconned Supes so mant times but they never get it right! FACEPALM!

Atleast Dark Phoenix is a plausible character in the context of a comic book! SHEESH!

#103 TheJ0ke

TheJ0ke

Nuked the fridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:55 PM

*Snip*
Atleast Dark Phoenix is a plausible character in the context of a comic book! SHEESH!

Meh well, I honestly never liked Jean Grey. So there you go.

#104 Artemis Entreri

Artemis Entreri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:00 AM

Meh well, I honestly never liked Jean Grey. So there you go.

But rather you like her or not, her orgin story is plausible while Superman Prime One Million's is laughable!

#105 TheJ0ke

TheJ0ke

Nuked the fridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:43 AM

But rather you like her or not, her orgin story is plausible while Superman Prime One Million's is laughable!

I realize this may be tantamount to blasphemy to some, but I didn't really think all that stuff with the Phoenix Force was all that great either. Even with my personal dislike for Jean set aside, I found myself unable to like that arc.

However, Superman Prime One Million... well, hrm how to put this...
To me, Superman Prime One Million is like an aborted fetus who was scooped back up by some god awful psychopath and stuck into some test-tube filled entirely with the distilled essence of the worst ramblings and desires of rabid, idiotic, 8 year old, Superman fan boys. Bottom line, it should have never have been conceived of in the first place and killed off shortly after the writers realized that it had nevertheless come into existence.

*Hides from the impending fan-boy rampage.*

PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!

Edit: Why do I get the feeling some part of my SP1M assessment is going to show up in someone's sig soon?

#106 M Bison

M Bison

Cool dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:32 AM

This is exactly the reason I stopped reading DC. This is an example of the most BS writing I've ever heard. Are you and Godspeed_88 telling me that Superman Prime One Million forsaked the earth for thousands of years, virtually moving the Fortress of Solitude to the sun, and returned able to create universes? Haha, that sounds beyond retarded (Not aimed at you guys, but rather the folks at DC) how can the yellow sun make him that powerful? Hell, scientist says the universe is chalked full of yellow stars, and that in fact, ours is a very, very, small one. Yet Superman can now absorb it's energy to create whole universes and even upsurp the Source, The original "creator"?

This is such bad writing you guys should never had brought the character up! Also, what about the other Kryptonians... Why didn't they think to go chill in the Sun and become gods. No one thought of that but Supes? What about Brainac? Just laughing so hard over here... Sorry!

You put Cable in your thread. Cable. One of the biggest Rob Liefeld abortions in comics. You're honestly criticising Grant Morrison's writing when you put Cable in the thread? Now, I’ve not read DC 1 million. It may well be Grant Morrison’s biggest folly. But I’m not judging it just because of the powers of one character. Grant Morrison often writes his superheroes as metaphors. He writes Superman as a metaphor for perfection, he is what people should aspire to be. That’s why he’s written so powerful. You think Grant Morrison cares about whether he wins or loses a fight on a small internet site? Grant Morrison is one of the most highly respected writers in comics. Rob Liefeld is a hack.

Yeah my point was that the writers sound like either, really bad writers,or rabid Superman fanboys. They could have atleast took time to write a more believable story of making Supes into a God. Personally, I hate Superman for one reason... He can do any and everything! That makes him a dull walking ex dues machina.

There are no challenges for him. I know, I know, that is precisely why most people love him, but to me it's the lamest thing. I prefer Batman because of how he wills himself the excel despite of his limitations as a human in a super human world.

It's the reason DC reconned Supes so mant times but they never get it right! FACEPALM!

All Star Superman. Superman had a very good reason for flying into the Sun and staying there. He’s building an artificial heart for it.

And I repeat, we’re talking about Grant Morrison. He is no Superman “fanboy”. What he is, is a writer. A very good writer.

If you don’t like the concept or story, fine. But read it or do some research before you go around insulting the writers. Especially if that writer is someone in as high regard as Grant Morrison, and especially if you want to imply someone like Cable is a better character.

#107 Artemis Entreri

Artemis Entreri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:58 AM

You put Cable in your thread. Cable. One of the biggest Rob Liefeld abortions in comics. You're honestly criticising Grant Morrison's writing when you put Cable in the thread? Now, I’ve not read DC 1 million. It may well be Grant Morrison’s biggest folly. But I’m not judging it just because of the powers of one character. Grant Morrison often writes his superheroes as metaphors. He writes Superman as a metaphor for perfection, he is what people should aspire to be. That’s why he’s written so powerful. You think Grant Morrison cares about whether he wins or loses a fight on a small internet site? Grant Morrison is one of the most highly respected writers in comics. Rob Liefeld is a hack.

All Star Superman. Superman had a very good reason for flying into the Sun and staying there. He’s building an artificial heart for it.

And I repeat, we’re talking about Grant Morrison. He is no Superman “fanboy”. What he is, is a writer. A very good writer.

If you don’t like the concept or story, fine. But read it or do some research before you go around insulting the writers. Especially if that writer is someone in as high regard as Grant Morrison, and especially if you want to imply someone like Cable is a better character.

All this Grant Morris praise, okay, I get it he's a great writer. Well so is R.A SAlvatore, but Wulfgar as an character sucks. You act as if writer don't make mistakes. I never ever compared Cable to Super nor anyone else in the list. Cable is valid because 1) He's a Summers and 2) He's a powerful Summers. This Thread is about Summers.

I never said Grant Morris sucked as a writer. I said SP1M sucked as a character with horrible orgins... Yes that is Grant's fault. So what? We all as writers make mistakes. M Bison, I value your opinon but here you are not seeing clearly. No one is perfect. Well maybe Superman; but surly not Grant Morris.

#108 M Bison

M Bison

Cool dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:20 AM

"writers sound like either, really bad writers,or rabid Superman fanboys"

Sounds a lot like you're saying Grant Morrison sucks there, as he's no fanboy. Morrison's not perfect, his stories can be occasionally hard to understand because he packs a lot of them with metaphor and imagery, but read the comic before saying what he has written sucks.

As a concept, "stupidly convulted family tree with Cable in it" sounds far worse to me than "overpowered Superman", but I've not read the stories, so I'm not going to say that everything involving the Summers sucks and that they were written by bad writers.

#109 Artemis Entreri

Artemis Entreri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:31 AM

"writers sound like either, really bad writers,or rabid Superman fanboys"

Sounds a lot like you're saying Grant Morrison sucks there, as he's no fanboy. Morrison's not perfect, his stories can be occasionally hard to understand because he packs a lot of them with metaphor and imagery, but read the comic before saying what he has written sucks.

As a concept, "stupidly convulted family tree with Cable in it" sounds far worse to me than "overpowered Superman", but I've not read the stories, so I'm not going to say that everything involving the Summers sucks and that they were written by bad writers.

I did say that but I should have clarified that I meant the writers concept, and the characters origins, sucked. Both are the fault of the writers. Now I've already admitted that I never read the stories as a whole. But I have read Grant Morris and it was a surprise to me when you told me he wrote SP1M. His other works are great.

Still, I stand by my opinon of his "uncharacterstically" bad origin story for an all ready overpower character. I mean, you dog Cable but he's a mutant, that sums up his powers and origin... SP1M got the power to create universes from the sun? Just sounds ludacris to me sorry. Grant could have easily made the story more readily digestable. Lol!

#110 M Bison

M Bison

Cool dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 09:37 AM

In the world of comic books where, let's face it, no superpowered character has an origin that is even remotely possible, I could care less. What matters is the character, and what the writer does with the character.

#111 Artemis Entreri

Artemis Entreri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:58 AM

In the world of comic books where, let's face it, no superpowered character has an origin that is even remotely possible, I could care less. What matters is the character, and what the writer does with the character.

Here we agree. But in terms of debating a character, "bad" concepts and origins are a valid argument. I mean, the story could be masterfully told, but the characer is the one in question, not the story. I already saw Superman as a godlike enity. My only beef was the earth's sun giving him the ability to rival the Source, a being who create both he and the sun. Just weird is all.

Opinons are just that, and here, we can agree to disagree. Never personal, my mind is wired just to question everything that doesn't make sense to me. It's my learning tool. I'm not nearly right all the time, but usually after a debate I find new answers and other ways of thinking. Thanks!

We'll clash again on the board soon enough! Lol.

#112 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:05 PM

Here we agree. But in terms of debating a character, "bad" concepts and origins are a valid argument. I mean, the story could be masterfully told, but the characer is the one in question, not the story. I already saw Superman as a godlike enity. My only beef was the earth's sun giving him the ability to rival the Source, a being who create both he and the sun. Just weird is all.

Opinons are just that, and here, we can agree to disagree. Never personal, my mind is wired just to question everything that doesn't make sense to me. It's my learning tool. I'm not nearly right all the time, but usually after a debate I find new answers and other ways of thinking. Thanks!

We'll clash again on the board soon enough! Lol.

There seems to be a small misunderstanding here.

You seem to think that he got all those various power from being in the Yellow Sun, he didn't.

He acquired countless different powers "During his travels and lineage", the only thing he got from 15 thousand years in the core of the Yellow Sun, is the raw Power.

He also carries the last Green Lantern ring.

#113 Artemis Entreri

Artemis Entreri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:10 PM

There seems to be a small misunderstanding here.

You seem to think that he got all those various power from being in the Yellow Sun, he didn't.

He acquired countless different powers "During his travels and lineage", the only thing he got from 15 thousand years in the core of the Yellow Sun, is the raw Power.

He also carries the last Green Lantern ring.

Wow! All these back and forth post and no one corrected me once! Thanks Sirmethos, that was ALLL I was asking for, an explanation of his powers. I told everyone I never actually read the story.

Sighs of relief, okay so now his story is so much more plausible! Sheesh!

#114 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:37 PM

Wow! All these back and forth post and no one corrected me once! Thanks Sirmethos, that was ALLL I was asking for, an explanation of his powers. I told everyone I never actually read the story.

Sighs of relief, okay so now his story is so much more plausible! Sheesh!

Superman-Prime(One Million) was a way for the writers to explore the full potential of Superman, to its most extreme limits.

Personally, I think Marvel and DC should make similar stories for a lot of their characters with extreme potential, like Hulk, Apocalypse, Franklin, Hope Summers, Hyperstorm, X-man, Storm, Exodus, Legion, Captain Atom, Major Disaster, etc. etc. etc. etc.

To go with an almost identical concept, they could, for example, have Hulk getting caught by the gravity of a young star, leaving him in the core of the star for billions of years, then landing on a distant planet in the future after the planet explodes.

It wouldn't be too unbelievable to have Banner take a space travel and a malfunction in the shuttle, or some other accident, could easily, either send the shuttle flying in to a young star, or cause the shuttle to explode and send Hulk flying in to a young star.

Since Hulk gets more powerful by absorbing radiation, as well as by rage, that would be a version of Hulk that makes even World Breaker look weak and anemic in comparison.

#115 Dr. Pymp(mex)

Dr. Pymp(mex)

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:15 PM

I agree, DC blows, Flash able to take away others speed? how? I have legs so how can he take it away, via speed force?

I love Marvel, but even they act up sometimes, making Ares a weakling, Wolverine a world threat haha, and Magneto a push over sometimes.

#116 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 01:19 PM

I agree, DC blows, Flash able to take away others speed? how? I have legs so how can he take it away, via speed force?

I love Marvel, but even they act up sometimes, making Ares a weakling, Wolverine a world threat haha, and Magneto a push over sometimes.

Gambit at full potential can do the trick of 'taking away others speed' as well, he does it by removing any kinetic energy from them, effectively immobilizing them.

#117 M Bison

M Bison

Cool dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

Never personal

Of course. I for one would much rather discuss comics and thier merits as a story rather than who could beat who.

#118 shellsbut

shellsbut

Nuking the site from orbit

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 05:00 PM

Of course. I for one would much rather discuss comics and thier merits as a story rather than who could beat who.

X's 2. Why is it always who can beat you? As for the question. You can put together a multitude of teams that would win. Its easy just pick more powerful characters, not exactly tough as neither of the teams listed figters are the best or most powerful at what they do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users