#41 Jamie Reyes

Jamie Reyes

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:35 AM

The thing is:

writing in the level you want me to is just not fun for me.

CBUB is fun for me. When I write a new Marissa and Patchouli match, I have fun.

Working on my script is fun for me. I truly have fun working on it.

Writing on the FPL on the level that you want me to just isn't fun. It's like a chore, it's homework. I just don't enjoy it.

That's why I'd rather stick to CBUB: because I enjoy writing CBUB matches.

#42 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:58 AM

The thing is:

writing in the level you want me to is just not fun for me.

CBUB is fun for me. When I write a new Marissa and Patchouli match, I have fun.

Working on my script is fun for me. I truly have fun working on it.

Writing on the FPL on the level that you want me to just isn't fun. It's like a chore, it's homework. I just don't enjoy it.

That's why I'd rather stick to CBUB: because I enjoy writing CBUB matches.

And that is totally cool. Using this explanation, I completely understand, because there are reasons I don't care to involve myself in CBUB matches that mirror this. I think, as long as nobody comes along and pointlessly attacks you now, we've reached a level of understanding. Your post makes sense, it states your case and doesn't provoke anyone. Please try to match this level of clarity and diplomacy in your future posts, and I think you'll find electricferret.com a much more hospitable place.

#43 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:39 PM

Sorry nobody stuck to your topic Haye, I tried.

#44 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:56 AM

Sorry nobody stuck to your topic Haye, I tried.

Ya I appreciate it, but I'll keep trying to improve the CBUB!

#45 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

Blah blah blah

Funny for someone who disowned the FPL, you sure do get in there and vote a lot. Sorry Haye! It had to be said. I'll find some CBUB match to comment on now! Although, I do like your challenge you posed to the crowd. I do like that indeed.

#46 Jamie Reyes

Jamie Reyes

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:24 PM

I never "disowned" the FPL. I just said I'm not gonna create any more characters. I will still (occasionally) talk in the forums and/or vote on matches.

Also, I like what Ivan said. I hope everyone here is as understanding of my reasons as he is.

#47 thetrekker

thetrekker

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

Sorry for dragging this even further off-topic.

I have 2 main reasons I didn't join the FPL (until recently).

1.) Most prominently, I don't know if I have the quality for it. I believe I do, I hope I do, but I'm just not sure. My first attempts (The Colonel and Der Kommandant [please say they're gone]) were mostly half-assed ideas that I developed and wrote in one afternoon. I didn't bother to read real characters until I saw my characters in matches with them. Until then I had assumed that it was mostly 'X beats Y', but then I realized it was 'X is better written than Y'. Rather than get angry about how I was losing, I understood the basis of the FPL. After those debacles, I said I would never return to the FPL. Well, now I'm back with hopefully a new, and water treading character. I turned it into the critics, actually posting it to the character analysis, and got massacred by deojusto (though it was good criticism). As such I have lost faith in myself again. I hope this time though, I'll be able to save Yankee Doodle.

2.) The intimidation of the FPL elite. Not to sound antagonizing, but they are sort of well...snooty, towards those who are trying to break in. I understand that they have tenure, and that they are much better than us lowly peasants, but do you have to rub it in our faces. For the characters that are ok, but not real FPL material, you should try to help them with constructive criticism. Also, don't make generalizations about the CBUB. Yes, most of the matches are one sentence/one paragraph trolling, but some of the writers have true FPL potential. When you make the generalizations, the trolls get inflamed, but more importantly, real CBUBers get hurt. If you see a topic that is lower cased, or has multiple exclamation points, avoid it and move on. Chances are that its someone who just joined yesterday and will be gone tomorrow. Spend a little time with the CBUBers, find out those who are truly committed, and support them. This, along with the CBUBers understanding of the separation between the FPLers (the nice ones), and the elite (the snooty ones) can help the EF become less divided.

(Can I get a free pass to the EF cafeteria for this treach?)

#48 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

2.) The intimidation of the FPL elite. Not to sound antagonizing, but they are sort of well...snooty, towards those who are trying to break in. I understand that they have tenure, and that they are much better than us lowly peasants, but do you have to rub it in our faces. For the characters that are ok, but not real FPL material, you should try to help them with constructive criticism. Also, don't make generalizations about the CBUB. Yes, most of the matches are one sentence/one paragraph trolling, but some of the writers have true FPL potential. When you make the generalizations, the trolls get inflamed, but more importantly, real CBUBers get hurt. If you see a topic that is lower cased, or has multiple exclamation points, avoid it and move on. Chances are that its someone who just joined yesterday and will be gone tomorrow. Spend a little time with the CBUBers, find out those who are truly committed, and support them. This, along with the CBUBers understanding of the separation between the FPLers (the nice ones), and the elite (the snooty ones) can help the EF become less divided.

(Can I get a free pass to the EF cafeteria for this treach?)

Ah, that's sweet. I will personally take your comment under consideration. Durn snooty FPLers. Not the cafeteria thing though...no soup for you!

#49 Nilan

Nilan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:18 PM

CBUBers will get a lot of respect from FPL contributors if they come to the CA board with some real work already put behind their characters. The two examples that are prominent for me are Force Echo and Jason Redfield, both of whom came in with their homework already done and absorbed everything that was directed at them. If either of them give me advice on how I could improve my future FPL characters, I would take it, because I've seen them improve right in front of me.

So all you have to do to ensure that FPL contributors are nice to you is to play their game, by their rules, while you're there. Understand the FPL, work on your character for at least an hour or two and tell yourself that none of this is personal.

#50 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:17 PM

Funny for someone who disowned the FPL, you sure do get in there and vote a lot. Sorry Haye! It had to be said. I'll find some CBUB match to comment on now! Although, I do like your challenge you posed to the crowd. I do like that indeed.

It's cool, this topic was doomed as soon as I posted it I suppose. I guess this thread got you to comment on a match at least! This thread got me thinking of making a run at the FPL even if all of you are snooty :).

Side note: You are like the fourth person to abbreviate my name as "Haye" instead of "hayes", just curious, why is that?

#51 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

Get this crayon outta my nostril, PLEASE!

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 4,552 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff... And fighting evil.

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

Ah, I remember when I was just as passionate as you, Haye. I too, tried to revitalize the CBUB somehow.

... Good times.

Anyways, I may not be an FPLer, but I shall return to the CBUB. Expect a new match tonight (losing the first round of the CBUB Tournament made me realize how rusty I am). Hopefully together we can create a better CBUB.

#52 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:48 PM

Also, don't make generalizations about the CBUB. Yes, most of the matches are one sentence/one paragraph trolling, but some of the writers have true FPL potential. When you make the generalizations, the trolls get inflamed, but more importantly, real CBUBers get hurt. If you see a topic that is lower cased, or has multiple exclamation points, avoid it and move on. Chances are that its someone who just joined yesterday and will be gone tomorrow. Spend a little time with the CBUBers, find out those who are truly committed, and support them.

First of all, most of the matches in CBUB are not of the one sentence/paragraph variety; it's more like 1/4-1/3 at most. In fact, there's only one member here that does the one-sentence thing just about every time out (I'm sure I don't have to say who that is). There are many more problems with grammar in CBUB matches than there is with length.

Second, avoiding the no-effort set-ups isn't the solution, either. Critique the ones from new members, and rate them accordingly. As for the ones that continue to put up crap after that, just keep giving them "Bads" don't comment on the match itself, and hope they eventually get discouraged.

Which leads me to another point: by not rating the no-effort matches, it's way too easy for just anybody to reach Rank 3 and start rating matches. There's one guy that even blatanly stated he's doing the one-sentence thing until he reaches Rank 3:

http://www.electricf...mp;#entry162150

It shouldn't be that easy to get to rating status, it should be something that's earned.

#53 TheJ0ke

TheJ0ke

Nuked the fridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:48 PM

Ah, I remember when I was just as passionate as you, Haye. I too, tried to revitalize the CBUB somehow.

... Good times.

Anyways, I may not be an FPLer, but I shall return to the CBUB. Expect a new match tonight (losing the first round of the CBUB Tournament made me realize how rusty I am). Hopefully together we can create a better CBUB.

*mutters something about the League*

#54 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:53 PM

*mutters something about the League*

Perhaps that'll come back at some point...

#55 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:34 PM

Haye.

Just because I asked huh? :)

#56 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:41 PM

Just because I asked huh? :)

:)

#57 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:37 AM

Well, if this is confession time, I'm just too damn lazy. I was never that good to begin with, but I figure nowadays if I really put some work behind it, I might not create a terrible character, but I'm too lazy. Maybe over summer (I've been saying that for the past 2 years).

#58 Artemis Entreri

Artemis Entreri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:37 AM

Writing, especially creative writing, is a skill that needs to be practiced. Practiced and practiced. Nobody is suddenly great, it takes a lot of time and effort, and the FPL is one of many places where you can get some honest feedback and work to improve yourself in that area.

The problem I have with the FPL are the shrewd prick fraternity type vultures that swarm on newbs as if they're writing is so much greater than the others. If so pricks, show me your published works... (Silence).

I will some day come over to the FPL but I hate the brutish tactics of most FPLers "Critiques". It's one thing to give your thoughts and opinions, and even helpful feeback; but quite another to trash writings someone took time and pride to write. I may sound soft to a lot of you but feeback is not always bitter and harsh. If you can't be helpful then shut the hell up!

Don't talk shit then disguise it as helpful advice... Bullshit, it's an attempt to make wise ass punks feel better about themselves. In other words it's bully tactics for geeks and nerds who could never pull the same stunt in face to face confrontations.

Now this is not talking about ALL FPLers, only the Holier than Thou ones who look down on CBUBers as if they have all the answers.

Truth is, we all started off as "bad writers" it takes time and practice to perfect your craft. Some people are tough and tough talk appeals to them. But others especially the younger kids trying FPL for the first time, are fragile mentally and those brutish tactics break them down. So I'm hoping the FPL members lighten up in the future and stop bulling "kids" it's sad and childish!

#59 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:08 AM

Yeah, because having your book not sell any copies is positive feedback? It's the same in the FPL as it is in the real world. People don't baby you, you should know that. Why should the FPL? Because it's not the real world? Neither is Pokemon, but if I have a better fit for my team, I'm kicking the other guy's ass out. It's what creates the best at the end of the day that matters. The people who can take the tough criticism are the ones that will be the best in the end anyway. The people that need babying will begin to expect and they just become weak anyway.

SURVIVAL OF THE BEST WRITERS!!! But seriously, force_echo and Jason Redfield seemed to do fine. ND4 took harsh criticism and turned it all around. Really, it's the people that want to be good that will be good. The harsh criticism does nothing but really weed out the people who don't want to be good.

#60 Artemis Entreri

Artemis Entreri

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:45 AM

Yeah, because having your book not sell any copies is positive feedback? It's the same in the FPL as it is in the real world. People don't baby you, you should know that. Why should the FPL? Because it's not the real world? Neither is Pokemon, but if I have a better fit for my team, I'm kicking the other guy's ass out. It's what creates the best at the end of the day that matters. The people who can take the tough criticism are the ones that will be the best in the end anyway. The people that need babying will begin to expect and they just become weak anyway.

SURVIVAL OF THE BEST WRITERS!!! But seriously, force_echo and Jason Redfield seemed to do fine. ND4 took harsh criticism and turned it all around. Really, it's the people that want to be good that will be good. The harsh criticism does nothing but really weed out the people who don't want to be good.

That makes sense only if you are harsh are respond positively to harsh treatment. In those regards a person can only speak for thelmselves. I didn't say "baby" or not to be honest. But if a person is new to the FPL give that person a chance before you mob up against him/her and start trashing the writing he/she took time and pride to write.

Besides I was only speak to the bullies in FPL not everyone. Growth is to be nurtured.. You don't chop trees down then tell them to grow to be big and strong do you? That's pretty silly. I'm just a voice for the younger or self-conscious writers that need encouragement. How has encouragement ever hurt some one explain?

We know FPLers for the most part HATE the CBUB and it's members... This is public knowledge. And the CBUBers are mocked on here, and seldom stand up for themselves. Why? Its simple, most the site's vets, moderators or admins are FPLers. The intimidation factor is key to the mocking and bullying that goes on here.

I've heard numerous times in my three plus years of being a member that, "the CBUBers ruined our site..." Really? Cause last I check this is Serge's site and he has not seperated nor deleted the CBUB. Probably because he likes it, I'm not sure. But this is his site and he made it public. But I digress.

Imagine what a CBUBer must feel like to be ridiculed by the very powers that run the site. That's a scary thought. Now imagine that same kid daring to write something for the FPL in spite of the mocking only to get trashed by the same mods, vets, and admins that control the site. And that's what you call weeding out the best from the worst! Bullshit!

I call that weeding out the CBUBers in an attempt to keep a site you feel is slipping from your grasp. So to be hateful and spiteful you pick on little kids from the CBUB!

But like I KEEP on saying this is not all the FPLer, Mods, Admin, or vets. Just a troublesome 5-10 that refuse to let others in there elite fraternity, even though that fraternity is open to the public as Serge so wisely made it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users