• This topic is locked This topic is locked
110 replies to this topic

#21 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:02 AM

Well power levels and feats is one of the problems were having in CBUB.

People want to use wiki, powers, and all these feats in debates.

It annoys people who actually read comics and just use there own comic knowledge
when in debates.

#22 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:07 AM

Ok cool thanks but the only people who is real wasn't humor was hyruko and mary. When it came to stating the powers I have read other peoples ones and they didn't really explain the power to me or what is was. Hyruko won his first match and even his premise is good motivation is good andx everythin please feel free to read his. But again when its came to peoples powers they kind of told stories and I read them and I was like what are they talking about. Some made sense and some didn't. I was trying to make it clear what the power is.

the purpose of those 'stories' is, that instead of simply Saying what the powers is, they Demonstrate the powers in use.

for example, instead of saying that "X can call lighting", you write a short story in which X actually calls lightning.

a bit over-simplified, but that's the general gist as far as i've understood it.

#23 xman4life

xman4life

Kneel before Zod

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts
  • Interests:Comics, Women, Weed, and Food. Not to mention MONEY

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:15 AM

the purpose of those 'stories' is, that instead of simply Saying what the powers is, they Demonstrate the powers in use.

for example, instead of saying that "X can call lighting", you write a short story in which X actually calls lightning.

a bit over-simplified, but that's the general gist as far as i've understood it.

THANKS a lot I really didn't know it was supposed to be like that. I didn't want to complicate things by doing it so I kind of kept it brief but that really does explain it cool well now I know.

#24 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

I dont think anyone caught the purpose of this

#25 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:51 PM

Xman, you're missing the point of the FPL. It's not to create the most powerful character, it's to create the most interesting. Mr. T's Fruit Stand, for example. Is that character strong? Not at all, but it's funny and well drawn out and that's why it was a winner. Your characters, while maybe powerful, are probably boring to read. There is a reason that the CBUB is the little kid's table and the FPL is for the adults. The FPL isn't a bunch of people getting together and saying "Superman is stronger". It's a bunch of people getting together and saying "Superman is better written". It's a completely different mindset that one must adhere to if they wish to win.

#26 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:33 PM

To Xmen4Life: You were like a child at Christmas who rips open his gifts and throws away his instructions, then later his toy doesn't work. He then complains that the manufacturer made a shoddy toy. No. You threw away the instruction and proceeded to do your own thing. You should always look before you leap. SO this is to you and all the other CBUBers who are confused about FPL...I highlighted the important parts. I also added a few (lines) for emphasis.

The FPL on the other hand, is a place where one creates their own character, and pits them against others. The old system was set up to weed out the weak, and it's the main reason why the FPL has it's "elite club" reputation. I'll try to explain it: Right off the bat, you notice how it takes a bit more skill and tech knowledge to do create a character than a match, (for example, you need a picture) which eliminates some of the less knowledgeable people. If you understand it's complicated point system, you will then encounter another obstacle. You see, each character that is submitted has to be judged by the Admins before it enters the FPL battlefield. If you pass this test, you face your greatest challenge.... The FPLers!

*thunder*

You see, the FPL is controlled by the FPLers (also known as the Admins and people who've been on the site for years). How? Well, like the CBUB, matches are decided by votes. Unlike the CBUB, you need to have a character in order to vote. This greatly limits the votes (I have yet to see an FPL match with more than 50 votes). This just makes each vote much more important. If you want these votes, you'll have to write a character that impresses the FPLers (They don't really pay attention to powers, feats, or anything that would actually decide a fight. It's more about the writing). This is very hard, and most newcomers will see their beloved characters crushed. To make matters worse, enough losses will lead to your character being deleted (this was on the old system, but is slowly being implemented on the new system), never to be seen again...

Your only hope is to work on your writing, and keep trying. This too, eliminates most of those who venture into the FPL (Jamie Reyes!!). Those that remain are allowed to enter the FPL part of the forums, be as rude as they please, and eat free in the EF cafeteria.

This system favors the good writers, which is why the FPL is seen as a place where good writers go once they're done with the CBUB. That's why they have that reputation of being better than the CBUB.

But wait! The system has been broken. When all mighty serge descended upon the EF and reshaped it, the FPL was changed. No longer would characters be judged before being entered. Without this, the wave of crappy characters overcame the FPL. News that characters would no longer be deleted after several losses also shook the FPLers. The current FPL is very different from the old one. However, it's reputation as the "elite" part of the EF continues.

... Well, that's it. Hope this humble CBUBer explained it. Also, if I disappear, you know what truly happened to me. I'm ready for you FPLers!

Next as for Hayemeister's original post, I was a CBUBer first. For a few years even. I was an FPL n00b next. Got creamed time and time again. Kept swimming. Eventually started winning. Eventually started really winning. I am now an Admin. I am the newest admin and have been the only new admin for quite some time I believe. I probably have the most current and comprehensive experience in CBUB and FPL transistion. Maybe. Regardless, I used to do CBUB heavily even while I was doing FPL. I used to create tournaments, RP's and the whole works. I supported the crap out of the CBUB. But eventually, after you've immersed yourself deeply in the FPL, it (the CBUB) just gets old. The flaming, the multi-accounters, the lack of imagination, the really dumb comments. It all gets old rather fast. Imagine the CBUB as a coloring book and the FPL as a blank piece of paper. In the coloring book, everything is laid out for you and all you have to do is fill it in. As for a blank page, you have to have an imagination to create something on that. This is why I love it. I don't want to drudge back into the coloring book. I just can't stand the petty bickering and the arguments and the coloring book and...well, you get the picture.

#27 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

Xmanforlife. You lose. At everything. Have you even read one FPL character? EVER? Before I joined the FPL, I snooped around for over a month, trying to see how to make characters, trying to see what the people liked, trying to see why the best characters are the best. The result? My characters are not on the ban list. You lose, because the FPL, like Silversurfer said, is based on the better written character, not the most powerful.

As to why FPLers to mingle in the CBUB? Landon and Nilan's posts sums it up I think. First off, trolls like xman4life are rampant. Second off, some FPLers aren;t interested on which comic book character would win in a fight. They're more interested in writing, making arcs, writing fics for teams, etc. There are interminglers like me who like both however.

#28 Jamie Reyes

Jamie Reyes

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:13 PM

The reason why I didn't write as good as they wanted me to is summed up in one simple question:

what do I get out of it?

Is my FPL character gonna get published in a comic book? No.

Is my FPL character gonna be featured in a TV show? No.

Is my FPL character gonna be featured in a movie? No.

Is my FPL character gonna be featured in a videogame? No.

Will anyone outside of a small group of people on a very specific site gonna know about my character? No.

When I was in the FPL everyone (including He Who Must Not Be Named) kept telling me that "this is a writing exercise" and "you have to write as good as most novelists out there" and "you gotta push the boundaries of your creativity".

But what's my reward? Will the public at large appreciate my efforts?

To give you an idea of what I'm talking, think about Channel Awesome. When Doug Walker or James Rolfe or Noah "Spoony" Antwiller create a new character, that character is seen by millions of people all over the world. They publish DVDs with those characters, they get ad revenue, they get positive feedback from millions of viewers across the world. In short: they get an actual reward for their writing.

And that's my point: why would I write on a Stephen King level just for a small site visited only by a handful of people?

That's why I keep bringing my dream of being a movie director: say what you will about the possible results, at least I get an actual reward for my efforts if I suceed.

#29 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:18 PM

You want to be a director? Boom, there's a way for your FPL character to be in a movie, FYI.

Also, you want to be a good director? The FPL is perfect for that. It has higher standards than directing, I'm sure. Look at this way, if you can do good there, then hell yeah you can be a director. Better than some others maybe.

*cough* Michael Bay. *cough*

#30 xman4life

xman4life

Kneel before Zod

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,441 posts
  • Interests:Comics, Women, Weed, and Food. Not to mention MONEY

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:33 PM

Xmanforlife. You lose. At everything. Have you even read one FPL character? EVER? Before I joined the FPL, I snooped around for over a month, trying to see how to make characters, trying to see what the people liked, trying to see why the best characters are the best. The result? My characters are not on the ban list. You lose, because the FPL, like Silversurfer said, is based on the better written character, not the most powerful.

As to why FPLers to mingle in the CBUB? Landon and Nilan's posts sums it up I think. First off, trolls like xman4life are rampant. Second off, some FPLers aren;t interested on which comic book character would win in a fight. They're more interested in writing, making arcs, writing fics for teams, etc. There are interminglers like me who like both however.

Troll? Um not quite I didn't complain. I was told why my characters were banned and I thanked the person for explaining it to me. I don't think that learning, moving on and NOT complaining is called trolling. Lol I didn't disrespect anyone or even whine about them being banned. So I think I'm just normal.

#31 LegendX

LegendX

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:MMA, pro wrestling, muscle cars, sport bikes, pitbulls, Star Wars, Star Trek, hip hop, stand-up comedy and the philosophy of pointlessly, useless stuff.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:17 PM

The reason why I didn't write as good as they wanted me to is summed up in one simple question:

what do I get out of it?

Is my FPL character gonna get published in a comic book? No.

Is my FPL character gonna be featured in a TV show? No.

Is my FPL character gonna be featured in a movie? No.

Is my FPL character gonna be featured in a videogame? No.

Will anyone outside of a small group of people on a very specific site gonna know about my character? No.

When I was in the FPL everyone (including He Who Must Not Be Named) kept telling me that "this is a writing exercise" and "you have to write as good as most novelists out there" and "you gotta push the boundaries of your creativity".

But what's my reward? Will the public at large appreciate my efforts?

To give you an idea of what I'm talking, think about Channel Awesome. When Doug Walker or James Rolfe or Noah "Spoony" Antwiller create a new character, that character is seen by millions of people all over the world. They publish DVDs with those characters, they get ad revenue, they get positive feedback from millions of viewers across the world. In short: they get an actual reward for their writing.

And that's my point: why would I write on a Stephen King level just for a small site visited only by a handful of people?

That's why I keep bringing my dream of being a movie director: say what you will about the possible results, at least I get an actual reward for my efforts if I suceed.

Such simple-minded, short-sighted thinking is almost unforgivable.

Do you think Stephen King wrote like "Stephen King" the first time he put a pen to paper? Do you think the first thing Stan Lee ever created made him a million bucks? Do you think award winning directors made blockbuster films with their first directorial effort? Do star athlete's sit around all day, everyday playing video games when they aren't playing the game?

The answer to all of those is no. They all practiced their art and grew to the level they're at. The FPL and even to some extent CBUB are the perfect place for an aspiring writer to practice their craft. Here you can receive free, (mostly) honest opinions not from professional critics, but from the type of people who would ultimately be spending their hard earned money on your creations.
The answer to all of your "Will my character this or that?" questions could be YES, if you took the time and made the effort to apply yourself and work on your writing skills, rather than blindly believing that such efforts are futile. What's to stop you from taking characters you create here an using them later on, if and when you become successful.
You should want to take every opportunity to improve your writing and creative abilities. Don't be so sensitive about criticism. Instead of taking it as a personal insult to your work take it as a challenge to improve.

#32 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:19 PM

If someone is so concerned about "being rewarded," one doesn't bother with a creative field like writing or directing or whatever. If the end result has to always result in "I got money in my pocket for my actions," you'd be far more smarter if you spent your time trying to start a business or playing the stock market or ANYTHING ELSE OTHER THAN TRYING TO BE CREATIVE. The ones that get rewarded in any way are the lucky ones and got to that point because they started doing thankless, payless, rewardless shit along the way. The people that are only thinking about the bottom line say "*vulgarity* that shit" and do something that's actually productive.

Bottom line: augustinwhatever should leave this website for good and go to business school so he can get paid. Or start selling drugs. Something other than spending all day talking about super heroes hitting each other.

#33 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:21 PM

Such simple-minded, short-sighted thinking is almost unforgivable.

Do you think Stephen King wrote like "Stephen King" the first time he put a pen to paper? Do you think the first thing Stan Lee ever created made him a million bucks? Do you think award winning directors made blockbuster films with their first directorial effort? Do star athlete's sit around all day, everyday playing video games when they aren't playing the game?

The answer to all of those is no. They all practiced their art and grew to the level they're at. The FPL and even to some extent CBUB are the perfect place for an aspiring writer to practice their craft. Here you can receive free, (mostly) honest opinions not from professional critics, but from the type of people who would ultimately spending their hard earned money on your creations.
The answer to all of your "Will my character this or that?" questions could be YES, if you took the time and made the effort to apply yourself and work on your writing skills, rather than blindly believing that such efforts are futile. What's to stop you from taking characters you create here an using them later on, if and when you become successful.
You should want to take every opportunity to improve your writing and creative abilities. Don't be so sensitive about criticism. Instead of taking it as a personal insult to your work take it as a challenge to improve.

Bravo young man. Bravo. But you guys are soooo off topic. Hayemeister, good luck getting an admin to come back to this. DRX is your best bet.

#34 ND7

ND7

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

Bravo young man. Bravo. But you guys are soooo off topic. Hayemeister, good luck getting an admin to come back to this. DRX is your best bet.

But Perfide, I thought you weren't that old. :P Also, I don't want to sound cocky, but I think I could be FPL material , if I put myself to it, after reading over some of my matches, and I have submitted a character before, but I never got around to fixing him. Maybe, I will someday..

#35 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:07 PM

But Perfide, I thought you weren't that old. :P Also, I don't want to sound cocky, but I think I could be FPL material , if I put myself to it, after reading over some of my matches, and I have submitted a character before, but I never got around to fixing him. Maybe, I will someday..

All it takes is work. Countless studies have been done and countless studies show that people with talent that rely only on talent get rocked by people who work super hard at it.

#36 corvette1710

corvette1710

The Bastard Child of Sarcasm and Hypocrisy

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,202 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. Durr.

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

The FPL and CBUB are both sites for aspiring writers, but the FPL is one of the hardest tests of my creativity. The CBUB, not so much. On the CBUB, you could do anything you want, and all you get is a bad grade. On the FPL, your character loses, and you get mad, sometimes. There are characters in the FPL that win, and they are not stories. They are demonstrations. You can look them up for yourself, XMan4Life. Figure out which ones appeal to writers, but don't create something like it. Try something completely different. In every way. Stand out. Go farther. Do more.

#37 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:39 PM

With regard to the original stated purpose of this thread, the percentage of FPL users who either currently or recently have participated in CBUB matches is much higher than anyone has suggested. Those people already actively participate in the CBUB portion of the site. It's hard for some of us to care about CBUB in the same way many of you do, because we don't enjoy the same kinds of discussions you do. I'll talk all day about Wonder Man- his spotty job history, his love life, his consistently awful outfits, how his mere presence seems to make Hank McCoy a much more interesting character, whether he works under various writers like Busiek, Peter David, or The Gru... but I have no interest in a discussion of the capabilities of ionic energy or rehashing scans from The Last Avengers Story with someone who has never actually read the comic.

Concerning agustinaldo's utterly ridiculous litany of excuses, I think Landon's response sums everything up rather well, but I will add one thing. Writing, especially creative writing, is a skill that needs to be practiced. Practiced and practiced. Nobody is suddenly great, it takes a lot of time and effort, and the FPL is one of many places where you can get some honest feedback and work to improve yourself in that area.

One major hurdle for new writers in the FPL is that they're convinced their ideas are "too good" for the FPL, that they don't want to "waste" these brilliant, genius ideas on a little website. Honestly, while "show don't tell" is great technical advice for writers, I'd argue that the most important advice any FPL creator can take to heart is "Murder your Darlings." If you think your idea is amazing, awesome, and can't possibly benefit from other people's advice, it's time to throw that idea in the trash. If you have a character you've created in another game, or for an outside story, and you want to translate a perfect copy of that character into the FPL, throw it out the window instead. Creative writing in the FPL can fail for a lot of reasons, but quite often it is due to emotional attachment to subpar characters. The FPL adds nothing to these characters, and vice versa. Yes, there is no reward for creating a character. There is also no penalty. This is a place to experiment. Go wild- the more conceptual the better. If you design a character who is a vigilante killer who uses a spear instead of a gun, I'm sorry, I don't care. If you design a character who is an alien colony of resonating crystalline cubes- accidentally dispersed throughout Khazan due to a faulty reentry sequence- whose main goal is to hypnotize people with music and get them to carry all the cubes to Tanin Park so they can be reunited with one another, OH MY GOD sign me up. The concept is going to force you to stretch your writing, and even if the character ultimately fails as a consequence of imperfect writing, you've entertained your readers and learned a bit about what works and what doesn't. If any of you want to write comics or direct films or whatever, you have to learn to bounce back from criticism, to be able to replace ANY part of ANY idea at a moment's notice. Don't want aliens? Not a problem, they can be super advanced robots. You don't like that they're cubes? How about Spheres, then? Great. Not into hypnotism? How about mind control? No? Magic? Cool... you want the robots to have magic? No sir, I don't have a problem with that. Oh, you're concerned about the music thing? How about flashing lights instead? Epilepsy you say? Ok, how about each cube, sorry I mean sphere, is an addictive video game, and players unlock levels by carrying them to specific GPS coordinates? Khazan's famous Tanin Park not working for you? How about Paris? The Mojave Desert? The McDonald's at Princes and South Saint Andrews? Sweet, yes sir, I'll rewrite it and have it on your desk by 5.

You want to get to a professional level, make it happen by trying things, not by refusing to try things.

#38 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:48 PM

But you guys are soooo off topic. Hayemeister, good luck getting an admin to come back to this. DRX is your best bet.

Ya it got derailed fast because Jamie Reyes feels like he deserves a hug (cue the world's smallest violin)....anyways, you can get kicked out of the FPL right? What I was thinking if there is a certain CBUBer that continues to flame, troll, only write one sentence offical matches, etc. if a majority vote of other users wanted them gone could that happen? With admin approval of course. I know there are things like the "Snitch Thread" to try and help the admins ban people, but it doesn't seem it is much help. Between, the countless marketing accounts, multi accounts, all that, I can see why things don't get noticed. That why I say (see title)

#39 Nilan

Nilan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:27 PM

If you design a character who is an alien colony of resonating crystalline cubes- accidentally dispersed throughout Khazan due to a faulty reentry sequence- whose main goal is to hypnotize people with music and get them to carry all the cubes to Tanin Park so they can be reunited with one another, OH MY GOD sign me up.

Can this pwease be the theme for the next Ivan Character Contest?

#40 Nilan

Nilan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:20 AM

And Xman4life, this is not really how an FPL character should be done, this is. I'm sure you can see the drastic differences between the two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users