Posted Image

#2 Flamon

Flamon

Cannon Fodder

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:43 AM

Then gives Achilles the ass beating of a life time. then shows off that he can copy powers and beats the holy hell out of the Eradicator:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:47 AM

So what's the deal with Doomsday nowadays? Is he copying powers now? I see he has a glow! What's that? Atomic power ala Godzilla? And what's that guy talking about calling him "cowardly"? He seems to man up to every challenge thrown at him. Plus, I'll be damned if I'm running in head first to fight the thing that killed Superman. These guys have no comen sense, just call Batman and give him some Prep Time.

#4 CrinosVegeta

CrinosVegeta

Cannon Fodder

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

Just glad they aren't treating him like a chump anymore, beating eradicator around is a serious feat in itself and now he can copy other peoples power...damn.

So what's the deal with Doomsday nowadays? Is he copying powers now? I see he has a glow! What's that? Atomic power ala Godzilla? And what's that guy talking about calling him "cowardly"? He seems to man up to every challenge thrown at him. Plus, I'll be damned if I'm running in head first to fight the thing that killed Superman. These guys have no comen sense, just call Batman and give him some Prep Time.

He seems to be able to copy powers yes, and if he really did copy Erads powers well that is a whole lot of extra power added to an already formidable Brick.

#5 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

This is a prime example of how DC overpowers their characters, people.

#6 M Bison

M Bison

Cool dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:23 PM

This is a prime example of how DC overpowers their characters, people.

Not being a fan of Doomsday, I don't know much about him, and I have not read this comic and as such don't know if it is a good story. However, from what I understand he’s an unstoppable monster. And unstoppable monster characters are made by having them beat up powerful characters. It’s not fair to call something overpowered if the very central concept of them is that they are supposed to be more powerful than whatever is thrown at them. And DC is hardly alone in having characters like this. Marvel had Thanos during the Infinity Gauntlet story; DBZ had Brolly, as just two examples.

#7 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:00 PM

This is why I hate feats threads- you guys invariably miss the point. If you want to talk about Doomsday's new feats, you should've posted scans from the Steel issue just before this one where Doomsday can suddenly fly. The only "new" feat in this parade of scans is Doomsday's ability to absorb and redirect energy. Given what the character was already capable of, there's no real tactical upside to him being able to do this.

Also, no offense to The Outsiders, but Doomsday beating Halo, Katana, Geo-Force, and Achilles is like Superman beating a villainous team of Magenta, Ragdoll, Clayface, and Blockbuster. Nothing too impressive here.

#8 LegendX

LegendX

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:MMA, pro wrestling, muscle cars, sport bikes, pitbulls, Star Wars, Star Trek, hip hop, stand-up comedy and the philosophy of pointlessly, useless stuff.

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:03 PM

How new is this?

#9 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

Also, no offense to The Outsiders, but Doomsday beating Halo, Katana, Geo-Force, and Achilles is like Superman beating a villainous team of Magenta, Ragdoll, Clayface, and Blockbuster. Nothing too impressive here.

Very true

#10 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:14 PM

Not being a fan of Doomsday, I don't know much about him, and I have not read this comic and as such don't know if it is a good story. However, from what I understand he’s an unstoppable monster. And unstoppable monster characters are made by having them beat up powerful characters. It’s not fair to call something overpowered if the very central concept of them is that they are supposed to be more powerful than whatever is thrown at them. And DC is hardly alone in having characters like this. Marvel had Thanos during the Infinity Gauntlet story; DBZ had Brolly, as just two examples.

Oh. I'm not denying that there are other instances where characters are overpowered. No. The reason why I stated what I did was: Doomsday was already insanely powerful originally. He was already unstoppable. He's mowed through the Justice League as if they were nothing and took out Superman himself and that was before Hunter/Prey or this. Hunter/Prey and this new instance boosted Doomsday's ungodly strength and capabilities to higher levels. Hence why I'm calling him overpowered. I don't see it as unfair. I see it as justified.

#11 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:40 PM

I don't think it's too much to assume that Doomsday now has the powers of the four "replacement" Superman characters from the Reign of the Supermen arc. He was shown flying and covering himself with metal Armor in the Steel one-shot. He was shown using Eradicator's power to absorb and redirect energy in the Outsiders issue. At this point, facing aDoomsday with Steel and Eradicator's powers, Conner doesn't really have much powers-wise that Doomsday doesn't already possess, at best he'll gain the use of X-Ray Vision. No clue what's going on with Hank Henshaw these days, I couldn't even tell you his current power set.

Also, calling Doomsday overpowered is stating the obvious. Like Mangog or Extant, he was created to be a threat beyond anything anyone had seen before. The current incarnation of Doomsday, however, has only been shown beating Steel, Eradicator, and The Outsiders. There is no reason to assume yet that this version has any powers outside the ones displayed in those appearances.

#12 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:15 AM

While I was pointing out the obvious, I was making a statement related to DC and its tendency of creating overly powerful heroes/villains but I see your point, Ivan.

#13 M Bison

M Bison

Cool dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:26 AM

Even that's still silly. Having powerful characters in no way helps of hinders the ability to create a great story. Case in point, Batman and Superman. One is a human, and the other is, well, Superman. Yet both have had both amazing stories. Batman’s had The Dark Knight Returns, A Serious House on a Serious Earth, The Long Halloween, The Killing Joke and numerous other great books about him. Superman has had All Star Superman, Kingdom Come (featuring most of the DC Universe but focusing on Superman), Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, For the Man Who Has Everything and, again, many other great stories. The two characters are vastly different in power level and feel, yet both have excellent things written featuring them. Therefore the “overpowered” complaint is silly.

#14 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:34 AM

Maybe you're taking it the wrong way?

I never said, not once, that they hindered the stories in any ways.

I'm slightly frustrated as I see no point in giving a character that is already significantly powerful any further powers. I feel as if it is overpowered in this sense, hence, an opinion of mine. I do understand where you are coming from however.

#15 Hugo Fowl

Hugo Fowl

I am One with the Ferret.

• Members
  • 7,162 posts
  • Interests:Discworld, Hellsing, Kingdom Hearts, writing, RP's, drama, etc.

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:59 PM

I haven't read a DC comic since the Long Halloween. Huh.

#16 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:56 PM

I agree with Jaeger in the fact that Doomsday really didn't need a frikkin upgrade. I mean really. Learn to write. I hate when people say, "what else can you do with Superman. He's too powerful." Learn to write. Same with Doomsday. Why the hell is he fighting the Outsiders? I hope there was a really good plot point behind that mismatch. Doomsday is Doomsday, don't really see a need for an upgrade to the guy who killed Superman.

#17 Scar

Scar

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Interests:Good reading, good eats, good friends, good times, bad times, how to make the bad times good, the darkest of the dark and how to drag the good stuff and good people out of the muck.

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:00 PM

Wait, is that Achilles? As in Achilles from Homer's Illiad, the same epic that was read to me as a child?

I *vulgarity*ing hate DC.

#18 M Bison

M Bison

Cool dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

Characters from Greek mythology are used in both Marvel and DC frequently, as well as represented in many other fictional universes. What's your point?

EDIT: Treach and Jaeger: Ah, the problem is that they gave Doomsday more powers? Fair enough. I thought it was the fact that he was powerful in the first place.

#19 CrinosVegeta

CrinosVegeta

Cannon Fodder

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:27 PM

I don't think it's too much to assume that Doomsday now has the powers of the four "replacement" Superman characters from the Reign of the Supermen arc. He was shown flying and covering himself with metal Armor in the Steel one-shot. He was shown using Eradicator's power to absorb and redirect energy in the Outsiders issue. At this point, facing aDoomsday with Steel and Eradicator's powers, Conner doesn't really have much powers-wise that Doomsday doesn't already possess, at best he'll gain the use of X-Ray Vision. No clue what's going on with Hank Henshaw these days, I couldn't even tell you his current power set.

Also, calling Doomsday overpowered is stating the obvious. Like Mangog or Extant, he was created to be a threat beyond anything anyone had seen before. The current incarnation of Doomsday, however, has only been shown beating Steel, Eradicator, and The Outsiders. There is no reason to assume yet that this version has any powers outside the ones displayed in those appearances.

Erads powers are more than just absorbing and redirecting energy though, his powers include massive matter manipulation and transmutation.

And I don't see how being able to amp your physical attacks with energy and fire energy blasts when he never could before isn't advantageous.

#20 Scar

Scar

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Interests:Good reading, good eats, good friends, good times, bad times, how to make the bad times good, the darkest of the dark and how to drag the good stuff and good people out of the muck.

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:33 PM

Achilles isn't a mythology. Gods like Athena, Zeus and monsters like the Hydra are mythology. Achilles is a character in Homer's Illiad, one of the oldest and most important literary works in the history of mankind, one that has translated for millennium and holds an extremely important place in human history. He could also quite possibly have been a real individual, an actual living and breathing Greek warrior.

And I just watched him be used as a whipping pedestal for a character who's only purpose was to kill Superman back in the nineties when they could have used anyone as a jobber. Seriously **** DC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users