Photo

Which infantry are on par with Starcraft Terran Marines?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:39 PM

I've debated about this, but I've never seen where this comes from myself. Also, it doesn't mean they can replicate this strength in CQC. In fact, the Marine would be able to inflict greater damage with a punch than the Predator even if it doesn't have a higher lifting capacity.

Its a videogame instance where a predator named Scarface manages to lift a door that's been apparently specified at 16 tons. Ask Rakai about it...

Evidence.

That. Does. Not. Prove. The. Predator. Can. Do. Any. Thing. To. Them. With. Its. Arsenal.

Oh yes, and is the Yakuza sealed in power armor?

I recall the Yakuza managing to kill the Predator in the end as well. Both died by each others hand. Unless he's talking about some other instance?

Mine are in bold. I'm not vying against you btw, just helping.

#42 ricrery

ricrery

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

SPARTAN-IIIs.

Um... No.

SPARTAN-IIs.

I don't know.

#43 thanosisawesome

thanosisawesome

Nuking the site from orbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:00 PM

Um... No.

I don't know.

I can only assume you know what a Spartan's are. You are either a massive Starcraft fanboy, or you know nothing of the other things being listed.

#44 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

I can only assume you know what a Spartan's are. You are either a massive Starcraft fanboy, or you know nothing of the other things being listed.

Spartan IIIs are dispensable and inferior to the IIs, and carry inferior equipment to the Terran Marines.

#45 the atom

the atom

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 11:24 PM

Spartan IIIs are dispensable and inferior to the IIs, and carry inferior equipment to the Terran Marines.

But surely you agree that the spartan 2's are far superior to Terran marines, being faster, better trained and often better armed. You aren't telling me a marine's armour can take a direct hit from a UNSC sniper rifle or rocket launcher, and despite their size they definitely aren't stronger.

#46 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:06 AM

A few 'infantries' that are superior to Terran Marines:

Yautja(if they count as infantry, personally I would consider them more like Spec. Ops troops).

Spartan II

Spartan III

If the three types of troops mentioned above, counts as 'infantry', then I also need to add Dark Troopers and Imperial Guards(Crimson Guard) from Star Wars.

Mandalorians

And

Kull Warriors from Stargate: SG-1

Yautja contra Marines:

Strength: Terran Marines are regular humans, that are slightly enhanced by their CMC Combat Suit. As far as I know, there are no exceptional Strength feats for the Marines, nothing that puts them at more than, maybe, slightly above a single ton of strength. Yautja are known to be stronger than humans, in the first Predator movie, a predator unassisted by any form of machinery, lifted Arnold(with weapons) in one hand no apparent effort. From cutscenes in various games, as well as various Novels, we know that the Yautja are capable of extreme jumps(something that also shows a great deal of strength) and there are several feats of significantly above human strength, like a Yautja(again, unassisted by machinery) kicking a moving truck, making it flip in the air. Strength goes to the Yautja.

Durability: The Combat Suit of the Marine, is durable enough to tank "small arms fire" with no damage, but higher than that and they start taking damage. They can be enhanced by a Combat Shield, which enables them to take a single hit from a high-damage unit, they get damaged, but they survive. Now, the Armor of the Yautja varies depending on the Rank of the hunter, but even the lightest Yautja armor can easily tank small arms fire and more, However, unlike the Combat Suit worn by the Marines, the armor of the Yautja does not cover their entire body. Armor durability goes to the Yautja, but overall Durability goes to the Marines.

Firepower: The Terran Marines carry a C-14 Gauss Rifle, firing 8 mm Hypersonic bullets. However, that is about it for the Marines. The Yautja carry the Shoulder Plasma Caster, as well as the Combi-Stick. And have access to the Spear Gun, Smart Disc, Netgun, etc. etc. Looking at the damage the various weapons(on both sides) are capable of dealing out. Firepower goes to the Yautja.

Skills: While the skill level varies with both Terran Marines and the Yautja, the lowest level with the Marines are regular conscripts with next to no training. The highest level with the Yautja are boosted by more than 1000 years of experience. With the Terrans having both the lowest minimum, as well as the lowest maximum level. Skill goes to the Yautja.

Overall: Yautja.

If I need to add any other 'stats' in my comparisons, let me know.

Spartan III contra Marines:

Strength: While their enhancement is at a lower degree than the Spartan II, the Spartan III are significantly stronger than regular humans. On top of this, they wear power armor that further enhances the strength. like the MJOLNIR Mark IV. Strength goes to the Spartan III.

Durability: The Terran Marines can, as mentioned before, tank Small arms fire(as an average). On the other hand, the Power Armor of the Spartan III is designed to go up against much heavier weapons, with heavy titanium armor and additional Force field. Durability goes to the Spartan III.

Firepower: Again, as mentioned before, the extend of the Marine's firepower, lies in the C-14 Gauss rifle. For the Spartans, most of their weaponry is actually inferior to the C-14 Rifle, the only thing they have access to that is superior, is the Spartan Laser. But since that is not standard equipment, Firepower goes to the Terran Marines.

Skills: Spartan III are highly skilled, extensively trained soldiers. while the skill level of the Marines, varies wildly. overall Skill level, goes to the Spartan III.

Overall: Spartan III.

I'm not gonna go into the Spartan II, since it's widely recognized that they are superior to the Spartan III.

Dark Trooper contra Marines:

Strength: Like with the Terran Marines, there are no significant Strength feats for the Dark Troopers. Thus, I'll have to put this one as a tie.

Durability: On top of being Droids with heavy armor, the Dark Troopers are equipped with Deflector Shields. Which puts their overall durability at a higher level than that of the Terran Marines. Dark Troopers easily tank a shot from a heavy turret, or any hand held weapons.

Firepower: Dark Troopers are equipped with an Assault cannon, with a capacity of 400 Plasma shells, and a rate of fire of 540 RPM. as well as 20 Missiles. A single shell from the assault cannon is enough to easily punch through the armor of Stormtroopers. Firepower goes the the Dark Trooper.

Skills: The skills of the Marines varies, Dark Troopers are Droids specifically programmed for combat. Skills go to Dark Troopers.

Overall: Dark Troopers

Kull Warrior contra Marines:(I'm starting to get tired, so I'll just do the Kull Warrior and finish it up for today. If necessary I'll do the rest after getting some sleep).

Strength: Kull warriors are shown to be far stronger than humans, they are even shown to be far stronger than the Jaffa. With no significant strength feats from the Marines. Strength goes to the Kull warriors.

Durability: As I've already explained the durability of the Marines, I won't go in to that here. The Kull Warriors are completely invulnerable to energy weapons and Highly resistant to kinetic weapons. Even high caliber, armor piercing weapons, do absolutely nothing to the Kull Warrior, you need either heavy duty Missiles, or large scale explosions to take them down. Durability goes to Kull warriors, by a large margin.

Firepower: The Kull warriors are equipped with a wrist mounted, Plasma Repeater. Firing energy blasts(plasma) roughly equal in power, to that of a Staff Weapon. Unlike the Staff weapon though, the Plasma Repeater has a high rate of fire, at around 900 RPM and due to their Naquadah power source, they virtually never run out of ammo. Though they have slightly less penetration power, due to the high rate of fire and unlimited ammo. Firepower goes to the Kull Warrior.

Skills: While the skills of the Marines vary greatly, the Kull have basically no real skills(aside from pretty good aim), they instead rely on their nigh-invulnerability and superior firepower. Skills go to the Marines.

Overall: Kull warriors.

#47 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:11 PM

But surely you agree that the spartan 2's are far superior to Terran marines, being faster, better trained and often better armed. You aren't telling me a marine's armour can take a direct hit from a UNSC sniper rifle or rocket launcher, and despite their size they definitely aren't stronger.

They fall behind in weapons. Minus anything special, their weapons are puny compared to a Marines. Also, what makes you think a Marine can't tank a direct hit from a sniper rifle?

#48 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:18 PM

Strength: While their enhancement is at a lower degree than the Spartan II, the Spartan III are significantly stronger than regular humans. On top of this, they wear power armor that further enhances the strength. like the MJOLNIR Mark IV. Strength goes to the Spartan III.

Except we have no real feats of the Marine.

Durability: The Terran Marines can, as mentioned before, tank Small arms fire(as an average). On the other hand, the Power Armor of the Spartan III is designed to go up against much heavier weapons, with heavy titanium armor and additional Force field. Durability goes to the Spartan III.

Wrong. 7.62x51mm rounds can puncture both their armor and Elite armor and maybe even Spartan II armor. Their armor is not even approaching that of a Marine's armor.

#49 the atom

the atom

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:22 PM

They fall behind in weapons. Minus anything special, their weapons are puny compared to a Marines. Also, what makes you think a Marine can't tank a direct hit from a sniper rifle?

Because they can shoot through tank armor, thats why. sirmethos put it best. Marines can shrug off small arms fire and can lift a couple tons, but they really aren't that special. Hell, Raynor beat the hell out of Tychus without wearing any armour or any weapons at all. And it's not as if Raynor is a super human. And you better believe that any spartan 2 is much faster then Jim Raynor. Spartan 2s actually require special enhancement in order to use their suits, otherwise, their bodies would get torn apart by the speed and force of their movements.

#50 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:25 PM

Strength: Terran Marines are regular humans, that are slightly enhanced by their CMC Combat Suit. As far as I know, there are no exceptional Strength feats for the Marines, nothing that puts them at more than, maybe, slightly above a single ton of strength. Yautja are known to be stronger than humans, in the first Predator movie, a predator unassisted by any form of machinery, lifted Arnold(with weapons) in one hand no apparent effort. From cutscenes in various games, as well as various Novels, we know that the Yautja are capable of extreme jumps(something that also shows a great deal of strength) and there are several feats of significantly above human strength, like a Yautja(again, unassisted by machinery) kicking a moving truck, making it flip in the air. Strength goes to the Yautja.

Since we have no real feats... Why are you trying to make a comparison? Also, no, Terran Marines can effortlessly lift and throw people, too. I'd like to see the bit about the truck.

Durability: The Combat Suit of the Marine, is durable enough to tank "small arms fire" with no damage, but higher than that and they start taking damage.

No. Their weapons are comparable to small arms in any way. They use pistols that are .50 caliber. Their normal weapons are DU spikes that travel at hypersonic velocities, which is easily in the double digit or triple digit kilojoule range.

Now, the Armor of the Yautja varies depending on the Rank of the hunter, but even the lightest Yautja armor can easily tank small arms fire and more,
However, unlike the Combat Suit worn by the Marines, the armor of the Yautja does not cover their entire body. Armor durability goes to the Yautja, but overall Durability goes to the Marines.

Strange, I never saw a Yautja tanking .50 caliber hypersonic spikes being shot at them. The "armor" of the Yautja is less than nothing compared to a Terran Marines.

#51 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:32 PM

Because they can shoot through tank armor, thats why.

Because we know Tank armor in Halo is known for durability... Wait.

sirmethos put it best. Marines can shrug off small arms fire and can lift a couple tons, but they really aren't that special.

I've. Already. Told. You. They. Are. Not. Small. Arms. In. Any. Way. They fire long depleted uranium spikes at hypersonic velocities.

#52 the atom

the atom

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:50 PM

Because we know Tank armor in Halo is known for durability... Wait.

I've. Already. Told. You. They. Are. Not. Small. Arms. In. Any. Way. They fire long depleted uranium spikes at hypersonic velocities.

Yeah I'm aware. They can FIRE long depleted uranium spike at hypersonic speeds. Not take them. Your only feat of them surviving that type of punishment is when you showed the cinematic of Raynor getting shot with a gauss rifle, and even that is questionable. there is no evidence that his armour wasn't penetrated. He took a single bullet through the armour's big ass shoulder pads, before he spun and shot Tychus in the face, with a pistol that i'm pretty sure moved at sub-hypersonic speeds. Terran marines can deflect small arms fire at best. Spartans on the other hand can survive heavy weapons fire for limited periods of time, and outmatch the marines greatly in terms of speed, training and strength.

#53 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 01:51 PM

-snip-

"Also, where does the last one come from?"

It comes from one of the Predator novels, give me a little time and I'll find the specific title for you(can't remember it off the top of my head).

"Ha Ha Ha. No. Yautja armor is less than nothing versus Terran armor. "

High-grade Dlex armor can tank shots from even the M42 Sniper Rifle(a rifle that can put a 3 inch hole in an APC from a distance of several miles) and the WY-102 Railgun. In comparison, the armor of the Terran Marines can be breached by the fire of their own rifles.

"Except we have no real feats of the Marine."

Exactly. There are no feats of strength for the Marines. There is absolutely nothing that shows us, that they are more than slightly enhanced, i.e. slightly stronger than regular humans. The Spartans on the other hand, are known to be significantly stronger than normal humans.

"Wrong. 7.62x51mm rounds can puncture both their armor and Elite armor and maybe even Spartan II armor. Their armor is not even approaching that of a Marine's armor."

Under prolonged fire, yes they can puncture the armor. The same would be the case for the Terrans. However, the Spartan's energy shield recharges after a few moments with no direct fire, after which they can tank a few more. a Terran Marine's armor can be breached by a single shot from their own rifle(unless they get the armor enhancement, but that's not standard equipment).

Either way, regardless of durability, the Spartan III are overall superior to the Marines, with superior physical and mental capabilities, Far superior skills, access to superior weaponry(Spartan Laser), etc. etc.

#54 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

High-grade Dlex armor can tank shots from even the M42 Sniper Rifle(a rifle that can put a 3 inch hole in an APC from a distance of several miles) and the WY-102 Railgun. In comparison, the armor of the Terran Marines can be breached by the fire of their own rifles.

Right, because you know that the Gauss Rifle is inferior, am I right?

Exactly. There are no feats of strength for the Marines. There is absolutely nothing that shows us, that they are more than slightly enhanced, i.e. slightly stronger than regular humans. The Spartans on the other hand, are known to be significantly stronger than normal humans.

If you know nothing of their strength, you shouldn't make a comparison.

Under prolonged fire, yes they can puncture the armor. The same would be the case for the Terrans.

I'd love to see that. I really would.

#55 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 03:06 PM

with a pistol that i'm pretty sure moved at sub-hypersonic speeds.

Yes, and at a person with a vulnerable head.

Terran marines can deflect small arms fire at best.

Do you know "at best" means? It means it's the upper limit of durability.

Spartans on the other hand can survive heavy weapons fire for limited periods of time

*claims that Terran Marine can only survive small arms and then claims Spartan armor can survive heavy weapons despite being harmed by 7.62x51mm rounds*

Lol. Spartans and Elites both go to down low kilojoule kinetic and thermal weapons all the time.

#56 the atom

the atom

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:09 PM

Right, because you know that the Gauss Rifle is inferior, am I right?

If you know nothing of their strength, you shouldn't make a comparison.

I'd love to see that. I really would.

Nobody said the Gauss rifle was inferior

You mean a comparison that you made several times in this very thread? That one?

#57 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:20 PM

Ok, serious answer this time- Mandalorians.

#58 the atom

the atom

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 05:26 PM

Yes, and at a person with a vulnerable head.

Do you know "at best" means? It means it's the upper limit of durability.

*claims that Terran Marine can only survive small arms and then claims Spartan armor can survive heavy weapons despite being harmed by 7.62x51mm rounds*

Lol. Spartans and Elites both go to down low kilojoule kinetic and thermal weapons all the time.

If I did not know what "at best" meant would not have used it. Marines are frequently torn to pieces by bugs that are the size of their boot, and are often shot to pieces by shards of bone, which travel much slower then hypersonic speeds. In the novels, a spartan survives a blast from a hunter's fuel rod cannon (although only barely). Spartans are indeed harmed by 7.62x51mm rounds, but only after tanking significant numbers of bullets. During the last stand of Noble 6, he stands there tanking a full barrage of fire from a plasma repeater, while mowing down elites left and right. http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Meanwhile one marine can barely take on one unarmored, unarmed, former ranger. . Yeah he was drunk, but the fact still stands.

Is this enough or do I need to bring up "THANK GAWD FER COLD FUSION"?

#59 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

If I did not know what "at best" meant would not have used it. Marines are frequently torn to pieces by bugs that are the size of their boot, and are often shot to pieces by shards of bone, which travel much slower then hypersonic speeds.

You do know that this doesn't mean anything until you quantify what you are using? The first apparently can cut tank armor and survive multiple hypersonic shells impacting them directly. The other one has spines capable of penetrating starship armor.

#60 the atom

the atom

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:21 PM

You do know that this doesn't mean anything until you quantify what you are using? The first apparently can cut tank armor and survive multiple hypersonic shells impacting them directly. The other one has spines capable of penetrating starship armor.

What? when did hydralisks cut through starship armour? And since when can zerglings cut through tanks and survive gauss rifle fire? I beginning to wonder where you are hearing about all these super sc units. Ive never seen any instance of zerglings surviving gauss rifle fire, ever. Nor have I ever witnessed hydralisks cutting through starships with their spines. Using gameplay as feats is a poor way to rate characters. The only reason hydralisks can do ANYTHING to a battlecruiser is because blizzard is all about balance in gameplay and not necessarily realism. Your going to have to start putting links up or your arguments dont really count for much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users