Photo

Which infantry are on par with Starcraft Terran Marines?

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 ricrery

ricrery

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 07:28 PM

A: that was a gauss rifle

Yes, because I totally stated otherwise. :)

B: the armour never reflected it.

"archaic : to turn into or away from a course : deflect
: to prevent passage of and cause to change direction <a mirror reflects light>
: to bend or fold back
: to give back or exhibit as an image, likeness, or outline : mirror <the clouds were reflected in the water>
: to bring or cast as a result <his attitude reflects little credit on his judgment>"

I'm sure it didn't. :)

He took the shot in the armour's large bulky shoulders and used the force from the shot to spin around and shoot tychus.

No, he didn't. If he did, there wouldn't have been a pause. We see he's unmoved after the spike hits and only in the next scene does he turn to fire.

Earlier on it shows terran marines getting wrecked by hydralisks who's shots travel several times slower (visibly anyways, I could be wrong).

The same Hydralisk spines which can puncture a starship's armor? Oh yes, those spines.

As I said the terran marines really don't stack up well in the grand scheme of badass space soldiers.

And yet they are incredibly powerful considering their numbers and role.

#22 the atom

the atom

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 08:37 PM

Yes, because I totally stated otherwise. :)

"archaic : to turn into or away from a course : deflect
: to prevent passage of and cause to change direction <a mirror reflects light>
: to bend or fold back
: to give back or exhibit as an image, likeness, or outline : mirror <the clouds were reflected in the water>
: to bring or cast as a result <his attitude reflects little credit on his judgment>"

I'm sure it didn't. :)

No, he didn't. If he did, there wouldn't have been a pause. We see he's unmoved after the spike hits and only in the next scene does he turn to fire.

The same Hydralisk spines which can puncture a starship's armor? Oh yes, those spines.

And yet they are incredibly powerful considering their numbers and role.

As all good politicians say, I misspoke. :P Yes, my grammar was a bit off but you know what I meant. Regardless of whether or not Raynor did use some of that force for his spin around, (which judging by his angle and speed, I'd say he used a bit of it) is ultimately irrelevant to the argument I suppose. However, it is quite clear that his armor was penetrated. Due to it's large size I doubt he was injured, but his armor was nevertheless vulnerable to guass fire. If it wasn't how would the Terran be able to kill each other without the assistance of heavy weapons and, more importantly, why would Tychus even bother raising his weapon?

Compared to most of the other soldiers I listed, the marines are little more then cheap cannon fodder. While they do have the potential to be powerful, they lack the skill or proper training to list as one of the big players. I'd rank them down with the gears from gears of war.

#23 thanosisawesome

thanosisawesome

Nuking the site from orbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

Um, lots of infantry. ZEALOTS, from their own game would be one example. Starship Troopers, as already stated, are extremely powerful from the novel.

#24 Darksaiyajin345

Darksaiyajin345

Flame of Corruption

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Card Games on Motorcycles!!

Posted 13 April 2011 - 05:51 PM

Trillions of 40K orks hahahahhaHHAHAHA!!!

#25 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 06:44 PM

Trillions of 40K orks hahahahhaHHAHAHA!!!

When will you start posting anything of substance? :P

#26 Darksaiyajin345

Darksaiyajin345

Flame of Corruption

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Card Games on Motorcycles!!

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:17 PM

When will you start posting anything of substance? :D

Ok Maybe a squad of terminator marines in all seriousness
Dont know the abilitys of terra marines :P

#27 thanosisawesome

thanosisawesome

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:56 PM

Do Predators count? If so, them too. And does this mean could beat Terran Marines, or are better at their time.

#28 the atom

the atom

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:15 PM

Ok Maybe a squad of terminator marines in all seriousness
Dont know the abilitys of terra marines :P

Abilities? Not lots to know besides that they wear big armour, use big guns, and lak tah shewt dem up sum zurg huh huh huh!
Also terminator marines would be overkill. One could wander around and kill as many terran marines as he wanted without ever having a reason to stop (besides boredom). That armour could literally handle a direct hit from a siege tank with no ill effects.

#29 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:13 PM

Do Predators count? If so, them too. And does this mean could beat Terran Marines, or are better at their time.

I wouldn't know. However, from what I've seen, a Yautja would be incredibly lucky to be up there with even a single Terran Marine.

#30 thanosisawesome

thanosisawesome

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:41 AM

I wouldn't know. However, from what I've seen, a Yautja would be incredibly lucky to be up there with even a single Terran Marine.

What movies where you watching? One Predator could easily destroy a group of marines. One plasma caster shot will likely kill a marine. Dlex armor will take Gauss rifle shots, and what do the marines do about cloaking? The predator is stronger, faster, and smarter. The combi-staff, smart disk, wrist blaster, spear gun, net gun, wrist blades would all most likely pierce Terran armor, but even if they don't, the Predator aims for the visor. Predators are completely superior to Terran marines.

#31 the atom

the atom

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:18 AM

If the marines were better trained I might agree. However, most marines are bumbling roughnecks compared to the average Yautja.

#32 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:10 PM

If the marines were better trained I might agree. However, most marines are bumbling roughnecks compared to the average Yautja.

Yet they don't have the durability or overall firepower (minus of course their little self destruct bomb) to be equivalent to the Marine.

#33 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 12:19 PM

What movies where you watching? One Predator could easily destroy a group of marines. One plasma caster shot will likely kill a marine.

All of this is wrong. The plasma caster can't even kill a man wearing a vest, let alone a human in power armor centuries more advanced than what we have. A single Predator couldn't even kill a Marine with the majority of his equipment.

Dlex armor will take Gauss rifle shots,

Ha Ha Ha, no it wouldn't even slow it down. Here's a hint: Even a shotgun could knock a Yautja off its feet. Multiple Gauss Rifle Spikes would send it flying back, oh, and kill it.

and what do the marines do about cloaking? The predator is stronger, faster, and smarter.

Stronger? They have lifted heavier objects, but they certainly won't survive close quarters combat with a Marine. Faster? I'd like to see the evidence. Smarter? But they can outsmart bullet?

The combi-staff, smart disk, wrist blaster, spear gun, net gun, wrist blades would all most likely pierce Terran armor, but even if they don't, the Predator aims for the visor. Predators are completely superior to Terran marines.

None of the weapons you mentioned have demonstrated anything that shows they can pierce it. The minute the Terran Marine knows where the Yautja is, the fight is over. The Yautja has no counter to the Gauss Rifle.

#34 thanosisawesome

thanosisawesome

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:12 PM

Yet they don't have the durability or overall firepower (minus of course their little self destruct bomb) to be equivalent to the Marine.

Are you honestly saying a marine beats a predator in hand to hand combat? You still have no response to cloaking. There are also many notable chinks in a Terrans battle armor, chinks through which predators could stab. And could a marine take a speargun shot to the visor? As for the armor, perhaps I spoke hastily. However, the marine will not even see the predator until it is to late.

#35 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:48 PM

Are you honestly saying a marine beats a predator in hand to hand combat?

Why yes I am. The Marine is larger and outmasses the alien significantly.

You still have no response to cloaking.

The Yautja has no response to the power armor. Cloaking is just camouflage, and you can see the outline of the Predator, so it's not as good as you make it out to be.

There are also many notable chinks in a Terrans battle armor, chinks through which predators could stab.

Minus the visor, what are you talking about?

And could a marine take a speargun shot to the visor? As for the armor, perhaps I spoke hastily. However, the marine will not even see the predator until it is to late.

Can a Yautja take a spike to the head? Yes, I think we're done here. A spear is not a hypersonic weapon, either, so the Marine has the ability to keep it from hitting his visor.

#36 thanosisawesome

thanosisawesome

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 02:55 PM

Minus the visor, what are you talking about?

The noticeably large chinks around between the shoulder plate and the chestplate.

Why yes I am. The Marine is larger and outmasses the alien significantly.

So here is an analogy for what you think. You think an overweight person beats an MMA body builder? Because that is what the predator is to the marine. Just because the marine is fatter doesn't mean he beats the faster and stronger predator.

Can a Yautja take a spike to the head? Yes, I think we're done here. A spear is not a hypersonic weapon, either, so the Marine has the ability to keep it from hitting his visor.

How? Yautja stealths towards him, then fires. Since the marine, in that bulky armor, cannot dodge an alien spear, he is stuck.

The Yautja has no response to the power armor. Cloaking is just camouflage, and you can see the outline of the Predator, so it's not as good as you make it out to be.

Except for the visor and large chinks. The cloak gives the Yautja time to set up a kill.

#37 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:10 PM

The noticeably large chinks around between the shoulder plate and the chestplate.

Evidence these are weak points the predator can expose?

So here is an analogy for what you think. You think an overweight person beats an MMA body builder? Because that is what the predator is to the marine. Just because the marine is fatter doesn't mean he beats the faster and stronger predator.

No, that is not accurate at all. A Terran Marine obviously has control of CQC. Also, prove your damn claims of them being faster and stronger. When do they demonstrate this?

How? Yautja stealths towards him, then fires. Since the marine, in that bulky armor, cannot dodge an alien spear, he is stuck.

1) Yes, because the Marine won't be looking at him and won't notice the quite visible outline coming at him. Right?

2) No, he can dodge the spear. Do you know anything Terran Marines?

Except for the visor and large chinks. The cloak gives the Yautja time to set up a kill.

Which you haven't proven thus far as being weakpoints the Yautja can use.

#38 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:13 PM

SPARTAN-IIIs.
SPARTAN-IIs.

#39 thanosisawesome

thanosisawesome

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:21 PM

Evidence these are weak points the predator can expose?

No, that is not accurate at all. A Terran Marine obviously has control of CQC. Also, prove your damn claims of them being faster and stronger. When do they demonstrate this?

1) Yes, because the Marine won't be looking at him and won't notice the quite visible outline coming at him. Right?

2) No, he can dodge the spear. Do you know anything Terran Marines?

Which you haven't proven thus far as being weakpoints the Yautja can use.

Stronger: Lifting 2-5 tons, like lifting those doors, which were extremely heavy.

Faster: Marine, slower than most humans in heavy armor. Predator: Dodging bullets.

Evidence they are weak points: THEY ARE GAPS IN THE ARMOR!

CQC? Who cares? Marines train for like 45 minutes in h2h. Predators train for lifetimes. One predator with wristblades took on a highly trained Yakuza and pretty much won. The Yakuza had a katana, and the wristblades are pretty much hand to hand.

#40 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 03:59 PM

Stronger: Lifting 2-5 tons, like lifting those doors, which were extremely heavy.

I've debated about this, but I've never seen where this comes from myself. Also, it doesn't mean they can replicate this strength in CQC. In fact, the Marine would be able to inflict greater damage with a punch than the Predator even if it doesn't have a higher lifting capacity.

Faster: Marine, slower than most humans in heavy armor. Predator: Dodging bullets.

Evidence.

Evidence they are weak points: THEY ARE GAPS IN THE ARMOR!

That. Does. Not. Prove. The. Predator. Can. Do. Any. Thing. To. Them. With. Its. Arsenal.

CQC? Who cares? Marines train for like 45 minutes in h2h. Predators train for lifetimes. One predator with wristblades took on a highly trained Yakuza and pretty much won. The Yakuza had a katana, and the wristblades are pretty much hand to hand.

Oh yes, and is the Yakuza sealed in power armor?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users