41 replies to this topic

#21 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

I mean, yeah, that'd work. Seems like a pretty good Colossus-type character Build.

#22 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

At this rank, he has a Supreme strength and superior armor, so he really isn't as durable as Colossus. But he's strong. I think the way it works, you could raise the strength stat or another stat equally, but you'd have to sacrifice another.

For instance you could say he has Ultimate strength, but at this point he's nearly immobile and stupid, Like a Blob. Plus

#23 MikeEB

MikeEB

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

I thought Ultimate body was on the level of "might be seriously hurt if he still has his hand inside that nuke when it goes off".

#24 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

At this rank, he has a Supreme strength and superior armor, so he really isn't as durable as Colossus. But he's strong. I think the way it works, you could raise the strength stat or another stat equally, but you'd have to sacrifice another.

For instance you could say he has Ultimate strength, but at this point he's nearly immobile and stupid, Like a Blob. Plus

Berserker
General: Fighter is capable of temporarily boosting one of their attributes beyond normal levels. This counts as exceeding normal maximums. An attribute can either be enhanced normally or receive double the increase in exchange for an equally large penalty to other attributes, specified by the writer (for example, an increase in Strength along with a decrease in Mind for a raging berserker). Any attribute reduced below Weak is considered “useless”, i.e., a character with nullified Agility is basically immobilized.
Rank 1: A single attribute can be increased by one rank, or two ranks with a penalty.
Rank 2: A single attribute can be increased by two ranks, or four ranks with a penalty.

So, if I do rank 2 berserker, and only consider the character's strength as going up to level 3, can I do that without a penalty?

#25 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

He's standard. You choose rank 2 Berserker. He becomes Supreme strength, no disadvantages. I believe that is correct.

#26 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

I always viewed Ultimate as "God-like". But really, you can get away with a lot with these stats as long as you have a great story, no one will complain.

#27 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

In the end it all comes down to writing. Write it well and no one will really care

#28 Updatedude

Updatedude

Don't feed him after midnight

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:51 AM

In the end it all comes down to writing. Write it well and no one will really care

Yup, pretty much.

Oh, and regarding the Spider-Man thing, the problem is people try to shoehorn Spidey into "street", which he's not. Also, there's a huuuuuuge gap between the current definition of Superior (peak human) and Supreme (global). There's little in between.

The way I tend to group these power thingies is this, Standard is actually Captain America/Batman level. In the comic book world, a regular mook can get punched so hard that he flies and slams against a wall, then drops down like, 5 feet. And he's barely bruise. And these guys are supposed to be merely "standard". So for Standard, I'd put the range as "realistically street to Batman definition of street".

Spidey I'd put at Superior, however, the range for Superior is "obviously superhuman" to "being able to beat up a building or level a city block or two".

For Supreme, I'd put it as being able to affect an entire city to being a global threat. Ala anyone from Apokolips. On the lower spectrum, Spidey can probably still hang. But this is Thor level.

For Ultimate, we're basically talking Superman. So, it's a global threat to cosmic threat.

So err, to sum up, I'd use a "threat" level.

Standard: Threat to one or half a dozen humans (dozen on a good day). Batman (not Batgod)

Superior: Threat to a dozen or several scores of humans (hundreds on a good day). Spidey

Supreme: Threat to hundreds or the local populace (on a good day, the world). TFA Superman (pre-Unlimited), Thor, Mantis.

Ultimate: Threat to nations, the world and depending on the writer, the universe. Darkseid, Galactus, Squirrel Girl.

But really, doesn't really matter. It's all about the writing. I mean, I for one have often written a character with Ultimate level so and so, but that character can't really do much with it. It's mostly to show how proficient or important that power is to the character, or to just have an Ultimate level power for the purpose of the powers debate.

#29 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

I like that idea.  The level is like a threat level.  I like that. 

#30 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:57 AM

With UpdateDude, I concur. It doesn't quite match up with some powers like Force Field and Flight, but it's a strong way to start to get a handle of the idea if the idea is that important to you.

#31 MikeEB

MikeEB

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

Is Luck not a power anymore? I saw it on some character sheets, but it isn't listed here.

#32 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

It was removed along with natural weaponry and a few others. You can still take it as a concept, you just have to pick a different power to represent it. Pseudo made a suggestion once for polymorph, in that you alter chance and probability to be more favorable to you.  

#33 MikeEB

MikeEB

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

Why was it removed?

#34 deojusto

deojusto

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:37 PM

No idea. You could ask Fox. 

#35 MikeEB

MikeEB

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

The best Luck replacement I found was Tactician, where the character's plans are so reliable and so subtle nobody notices she's a genius, herself included. But even then, it's so much less elegent than Luck for what I wanted; 2 points for enhanced Suspension of Disbelief is a bargain, and Tactician replaces that only with regard to fighting.

#36 deojusto

deojusto

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

Just pick something vague like eldritch blast, tactician, or polymorph and call it luck. If it's well written, most people will give you benefit of the doubt and ignore the technical definition of the power set. 

#37 MikeEB

MikeEB

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

There's a pretty big difference, presentation-wise between

"Gaze of the Primordial" Luck (standard)

Katie facepalmed and lowered her ping-pong paddle right as John served.  The ball bounced off her paddle and popped up.

"I just don't care anymore," she said.

The silence that followed was broken only by the ball clipping the far end of the table and bouncing across the gym.

and

"Actually luck, but that's not an option anymore" Tactician (standard)

Katie facepalmed and lowered her ping-pong paddle right as John served.  The ball bounced off her paddle and popped up.

"I just don't care anymore," she said.

The silence that followed was broken only by the ball clipping the far end of the table and bouncing across the gym.

#38 Nihlium

Nihlium

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

As long as you 1:Don't do something like use berserker and write it as luck. 2: Write well. 3: Use the story to explain/display (show not tell) how the power works without moving focus from the character to the power. I don't see how anyone would have any problems.

#39 deojusto

deojusto

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:44 PM

If it were me, I'd write something like 'Gaze of Primordia, (luck)'. or put the parenthesis into the body somewhere.   

#40 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

Just pick something vague like eldritch blast, 

Eldritch blast for luck? I can't imagine how you'd wrangle that'n.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users