Photo
- - - - -

About the grading...

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

Get this crayon outta my nostril, PLEASE!

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff... And fighting evil.

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:20 PM

Or when the new FPL gets up and running, I'll be trying out my writing skills there, so I might get some feedback for a change.

*shakes head*

I'm starting to see why the most talented writers leave the CBUB.
Part of me wishes things were different, but the other part of me sees where you're comming from and wishes you luck.

Still, don't leave the CBUB! It needs you!

#22 The Technomancer of Nesh

The Technomancer of Nesh

Hoid

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 6,252 posts
  • Interests:Shonen anime/manga
    reading/writing fantasy novels
    reading/writing fanfiction

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:42 PM

*shakes head*

I'm starting to see why the most talented writers leave the CBUB.
Part of me wishes things were different, but the other part of me sees where you're coming from and wishes you luck.

The best writers in history couldn't turn the CBUB around. To appeal more to you Stan Lee and Jack Kirby couldn't turn it around. Go to the FPL, you may get schooled but the school of hard knocks makes for a good teacher. :wacko:

#23 Dreadlock

Dreadlock

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:54 PM

What's the FPL?

#24 The Technomancer of Nesh

The Technomancer of Nesh

Hoid

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 6,252 posts
  • Interests:Shonen anime/manga
    reading/writing fantasy novels
    reading/writing fanfiction

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:36 PM

What's the FPL?

Well in short, the FPL, is you creating a character complete with a name, backstory, powers, etc. and having fight other people's created characters. Be careful though, the powers don't matter it's how you use them to advance the story and the writing itself that counts. It's nothing like CBUB where all you have to do is memorize how a character acts and know their powers and backstory to get a good grade. In the FPL you have to build characters and places, everything from the ground up. You have to go into the rich deep details of your creation's life, where they grew up, the people that influenced them, and every other little quirk about them.

It's not enough to make a superpowered megalomaniac, you have to show us how and why he became that way. It's your job to make this being you created seem real to us and love them loath them, or a little of both. Though you may only show us words and a picture, you must give those things a spirit of their own so that they may twist our emotions to the very thing you wanted us to feel when you dreamed up that being. You must create your own little bubble of a world. and make us feel as if we are part of it and this one is the fiction. That is what writing is about and the FPL is a place to hone and test those skills.

#25 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:19 PM

Damn, that was a good description. I'm proud of you. RAYA SAYANG!!

#26 Tarvius

Tarvius

Ironwolverorschach Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:43 PM

I suppose that's true, and I guess this was more of a rant than anything else. I just find it frustrating that people's personal opinions have such a huge effect on one's work, and yet you have no way of knowing how to improve yourself. Believe it or not, but I'm actually very self-critical about my work, and if I fail where others pass, I would want to at least get some pointers. Like I said, nobody aside from me has yet had their match scratched on the new CBUB. The match in question wasn't one of my best, but compared to the set ups that go "Yeah, they fight. Who wins?", I think I put some real effort on that one (although I still think KevinDWolf93 is underestimating his own writing skills).

But yes, thanks for reading, and thanks for the sympathy. I guess the only way to continue is to try something completely different and see if it works. It probably doesn't, but it's worth a try. Or when the new FPL gets up and running, I'll be trying out my writing skills there, so I might get some feedback for a change.

Hey if anyone understands self-criticism its me. Just ask Treacherous. Anyways, if you really want to improve get some good constructive criticism from some of the sites better writers. I'm not going to lie to you, if your story sucks, they'll tell you. Not only that, they'll tell you why they think it sucks, and even write degrading essays on why it sucks. It can seem hurtful, and biased at first, but you'll soon realize that some tough criticism can really do a writer well. No matter how good you think something is, they'll find a way to make it better. Even if its something as small as, boring dialogue, or something as big as a bad concept. That's how you can go from average joe who no one cares about to average joe who writes awesome matches/characters/stories that no one cares about. Listen to what people have to say, and soak in the criticisms.

#27 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:17 AM

That's how you can go from average joe who no one cares about to average joe who writes awesome matches/characters/stories that no one cares about.

HA! Exactly.

#28 Kinetic War

Kinetic War

Don't feed him after midnight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Interests:This article is too long. Consider splitting it into separate articles.

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:47 AM

Are you kidding me? And lose my dose of fanboys arguing over some obscure character's power levels?

I've still got matches I want to try out, and no way are you going to get rid of me when it comes to commenting on the site. I've learned long ago that the votes don't matter squat. Popular characters like Batman, Wolverine, and Spider-Man are always going to get wins over more powerful but less popular characters, that's just the way it is. Popularity influences what happens in the comics, too. Spider-Man should never have beaten Firelord (indirect influence), and Wolverine shouldn't have beaten Lobo (direct influence). It's the debates with reasonable folks that I like (yes, there are those on the site, too, believe it or not), not the voting results. Seriously, don't take them... seriously.

But I've already started writing some of my own characters for the FPL, and I've come to realize it's pretty fun. And as long as the flunking of my work involves good, tough criticism which can improve my writing, I'm happy to take it. It's only the "Ha ha, we just scratched you and won't tell you why" people that frustrate me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users