• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Kinetic War

Kinetic War

Don't feed him after midnight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Interests:This article is too long. Consider splitting it into separate articles.

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:04 AM

One thing I didn't like about the old CBUB was that anyone could grade matches. It resulted in dozens of matches being scratched despite them being OK written and pretty well thought out. There was no way for the author of the match to know what the problem was.

On the new CBUB, I like the fact that you have to accomplish something in order to grade. But something I was concerned about from the very beginning was that it was enough to post a certain number of matches, and you'd again have the opportunity to start bashing other people's matches for the same unknown reasons. I would have preferred a system of grading based on any of a number of reasons (which would then be visible to the author): badly or incomprehensibly written, set up too short or too long, unfair match-up, etc. Needless to say, "I don't like the writer of this match" wouldn't be one of the acceptable reasons.

The reason I wrote this is my confusion about my latest match, The Russian vs. Kingpin. The only two comments I got about the match were both positive, yet the match got scratched. Why? Would anyone who graded it "bad" care to give a reason? The fact that it was fairly short can't be it, as there are several matches out there that have two to three sentences, yet they get through. What was the problem?

And yes, I do have a life outside of this site, thank you very much. It's just that it's really no fun to take the time to write matches and have them scratched, not knowing what you did wrong.

#2 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

A fluffy puppy with a heart of gold!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:31 AM

That really sucks Kingpin vs russian got scratched. I thought it was a good fight.

I suppose KW may be right, but I think the new system can be a bit TOO restrictive. Cause looking at my last few matches were all 4.0's and Im stuck at rank 3.7(just overthe limit to be able to do stuff). Now a few fights I got better scores, and none of em were scratched. Though I believe some of these problems is stemming from lack of guys who can actually rate(not to mention the odds of them finding ur fight).

Thats my opinion and Im not compaining since Im doing ok for myself, but I believe kinetic to be a better writer than myself. and hobby or not its gotta suck saying ur work didnt make the cut and having no reason as to why.

#3 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:20 AM

Would anyone who graded it "bad" care to give a reason?

Translation: Who has the balls or the integrity to fess up to scratching me?

Answer: Probably no one.

#4 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:30 AM

I F'd most of the CBUB matches I read. I did that because I'm a terrible person.

#5 Kinetic War

Kinetic War

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Interests:This article is too long. Consider splitting it into separate articles.

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:47 AM

Translation: Who has the balls or the integrity to fess up to scratching me?

Answer: Probably no one.

That's the problem with anonymity on the Internet. It leads to people being jerks and not owning up to it.

I'm not really expecting anyone to step up and give me a valid reason as to why they rated as they did. Just wanted to point out the fact that failing a piece of writing without any constructive criticism whatsoever isn't useful to anyone. So far, I'm the only one to have their match scratched, so I'm wondering whether the new generation of "It's bad"ers is only just starting, or whether my match was singled out for some reason.

I F'd most of the CBUB matches I read. I did that because I'm a terrible person.

I know.

#6 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

The FPL crowd will tell you right to your face why you suck.

#7 Dreadlock

Dreadlock

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:40 PM

Ratings sucks. Personally, I took the time to write up a good 'outline' for my match. I got a couple of "good" ratings, but one "bad" aswell. Im not being pigheaded, but I know it wasnt a "bad" match or a "bad" set up at all. Rating should be more "in depth." People should have to write what they liked/disliked about it in order for there rating to count. At least that way, it could help the writers to "improve" on their future matches.

#8 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:42 PM

Ratings sucks. Personally, I took the time to write up a good 'outline' for my match. I got a couple of "good" ratings, but one "bad" aswell. Im not being pigheaded, but I know it wasnt a "bad" match or a "bad" set up at all. Rating should be more "in depth." People should have to write what they liked/disliked about it in order for there rating to count.

Yeah.

#9 Dreadlock

Dreadlock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:48 PM

And too, everyone just seems to vote on the matches without ever reading the setup. Someone sees Hulk is in a match and automatically votes for him right off the bat.

#10 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:56 PM

And too, everyone just seems to vote on the matches without ever reading the setup. Someone sees Hulk is in a match and automatically votes for him right off the bat.

Yep, see the comment I posted on underrated characters. Perfect examples.

#11 Dreadlock

Dreadlock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:03 PM

Yeah, I saw it.

The admins should get extreme on this site. For grading, people should have to write a paragraph on "why" they gave you the rating they did (whether it be good or bad; Hey, this IS a writing site, so why not?). And for the voting, people should have to answer a small 3 - 5 questionair about the set up (made by the writers) so that way, it could maybe be a little more fair. IDK, just something to stop the asinine biasness and unfairness.

#12 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:51 PM

The above proposal won't solve any problems of bias, since someone can easily write three paragraphs talking about their bias, and answering questions won't solve anything either. All it would do is make voting a pain in the ass. Nothing more. Bad idea all around.

#13 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:04 PM

Yeah, I saw it.

The admins should get extreme on this site. For grading, people should have to write a paragraph on "why" they gave you the rating they did (whether it be good or bad; Hey, this IS a writing site, so why not?). And for the voting, people should have to answer a small 3 - 5 questionair about the set up (made by the writers) so that way, it could maybe be a little more fair. IDK, just something to stop the asinine biasness and unfairness.

As much as were agreeing on stuff, Ive gotta stick with landon on this one, Ive seen how arguments can get long and annoying. Still got ur heart in the right place.

#14 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 21 July 2009 - 08:26 PM

How the site is now is almost perfect. It just has one big flaw, the sheer amount of points people can get off the start.

See, people will still grade you whatever they want, and there's not really anything to do about it. Before on the old site this was a problem because of multiacounters vote spamming their way through to whatever they wanted. How this site fixed that was to only give high ranking members access to being able to vote... But since now you can just spam your way to being a high ranker in a few days there is nothing stopping them from just filling the site with garbage fights until they have the ability to vote, then doing it again with another account.

The massive amount of set-ups actually drives people away from the CBUB part of the site due to the amount of garbage that has to be wadded through. I've actually stopped going there and now go through the forums to find the popular battles (which since I can't read the set-up here, means that I have to find it in the CBUB (could that be fixed?)). That's kinda bad since I know that I'm missing more than 98% of the fights here, and even if only 10% are good, then they have still been overlooked.

#15 Tarvius

Tarvius

Ironwolverorschach Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

Kinetic War, it's best not to dwell on it too much. What you may think is great and wonderful might be a piece of crap to another. It's up to the voter to decide whether or not your match is good, okay, or down right terrible. I understand you're frustration, but we can't go around and slap people on the wrist when they don't vote the way you think they should. People will vote however they want to, even if they have to tell you why over and over...and over again. Who knows why people vote the way they do? Like I said don't worry about it.

#16 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:40 PM

Tarvius is right. One man's gold is another man's garbage. A person shouldn't have to write a dissertation to you in order to vote. Even if they did tell you why they thought your set up sucked, it may not be a valid reason. It may be bad advice. Improvement comes with honest self discernments, not just another person's opinion...and you're going to get bad grades on the way to self improvement. Deal with it. Move on.

#17 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

Get this crayon outta my nostril, PLEASE!

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 4,552 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff... And fighting evil.

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:03 PM

Sorry to hear that KN. Wish I had seen it.

Still, I'm like Skirmisher. The sheer amount of garbage over on the CBUB has gotten out of control. Not only that, but due to the fact that anyone can just start 2vs2vs2, or 3vs3 fights, a lot of good characters are getting taken up for really crappy fights.

I've abandoned the CBUB (which is why I'm here, on the forums, which I used to avoid at all cost back in the old days) until Serge shows up, fixes the site, bans multiaccounters, then finally ends my $&@%# match!!

... Maybe I should go back to the old CBUB....

#18 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:17 PM

We need the third coming of Serge, he will fix all the wrongs and scour away the unjust... again?

jk, I know, Beta, but how long will this last?

#19 Kinetic War

Kinetic War

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:48 AM

Kinetic War, it's best not to dwell on it too much. What you may think is great and wonderful might be a piece of crap to another. It's up to the voter to decide whether or not your match is good, okay, or down right terrible. I understand you're frustration, but we can't go around and slap people on the wrist when they don't vote the way you think they should. People will vote however they want to, even if they have to tell you why over and over...and over again. Who knows why people vote the way they do? Like I said don't worry about it.

I suppose that's true, and I guess this was more of a rant than anything else. I just find it frustrating that people's personal opinions have such a huge effect on one's work, and yet you have no way of knowing how to improve yourself. Believe it or not, but I'm actually very self-critical about my work, and if I fail where others pass, I would want to at least get some pointers. Like I said, nobody aside from me has yet had their match scratched on the new CBUB. The match in question wasn't one of my best, but compared to the set ups that go "Yeah, they fight. Who wins?", I think I put some real effort on that one (although I still think KevinDWolf93 is underestimating his own writing skills).

But yes, thanks for reading, and thanks for the sympathy. I guess the only way to continue is to try something completely different and see if it works. It probably doesn't, but it's worth a try. Or when the new FPL gets up and running, I'll be trying out my writing skills there, so I might get some feedback for a change.

#20 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:33 AM

FPL is the only true test of writing skill on this site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users