104 replies to this topic

#21 Soberguy

Soberguy

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:05 PM

My team hasn't won a championship since 1967 and I still enjoy watching it more than all other sports combined. Hockey FTW.

That being said I must point out the absurdity of asking that football take out the commercials - and not simply to make a cheap "it's the only thing interesting about it" joke (though I just did). Say what you will about ads in football, but if I'm watching a game and a commercial comes on, i can turn the channel or go to the kitchen and get more Tostitos. If I'm watching a soccer game I can't do that because THEY HAVE ADS PLASTERED ALL OVER THEIR JERSEYS.

I will also point out that America doesn't CARE that the Super Bowl doesn't involve the rest of the World because Americans DON'T GIVE A SH*T ABOUT THE REST OF THE WORLD.

Unless it's the Olympics.

#22 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:14 AM

Insane props to the person who changed the title of the thread.

I've played football for three years, I made JV in the Eighth grade, and played JV as a first string running back in the 9th grade to a team that went to state championships. I know football. And its true that they take a break after 25 seconds of game play. Stop whining, its a fact that you don't have to have endurance to play football, its not soccer.

Thats only beacause Soccer is the only major sport that other countries can really compete with America in. By major sport I mean Football, Baseball, Soccer, Basketball, and Hockey.

RBB, that was the stupidest comment on this thread. Its people like you that give America a bad name.

#23 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:28 PM

Okay um... Have you ever in your life played a real game of football? Equal to 60 minutes of hard playing? YOU WOULD NEED A BREAK EVERY 25 SECONDS. WHAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ABOUT THAT? If you had to wear forty lbs of pads and run as fast as you can the whole hundred yards, you would need the break. You would HATE the coach for making you push yourself. I've seen track runners join football and get CREAMED, by the way. RUNRUNRUNRUN WHAM! He's on the ground crying.

Really? I'd like to see if those are real track runners. Hell, one of our best distance runners and his little brother who is also good, both quit football to run. The football team begged them to come back. Not only that, but most football guys run track, doing sprints, and have a shitton of respect for the distance guys because they know they can't do what we do. I even played football for a year and all the guys wondered how I could run distance.

What I want you to understand is this. If you don't respect another athlete and his different sport, you'll be met with the same exact disrespect. Everyone thinks they have the superior sport (even golfers, but let's be real on that one) but in reality, it's not. Every sport takes a different sort of balls.

#24 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

Insane props to the person who changed the title of the thread.

I've played football for three years, I made JV in the Eighth grade, and played JV as a first string running back in the 9th grade to a team that went to state championships. I know football. And its true that they take a break after 25 seconds of game play. Stop whining, its a fact that you don't have to have endurance to play football, its not soccer.

RBB, that was the stupidest comment on this thread. Its people like you that give America a bad name.

you are questioning their endurance holy shit you are sooooo ignorant try playing offensive line for one series and see you gasping for breath, obviously you dont like football so you are biased but damn you are stupid

#25 TheJ0ke

TheJ0ke

Nuked the fridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 03:04 AM

you are questioning their endurance holy shit you are sooooo ignorant try playing offensive line for one series and see you gasping for breath, obviously you dont like football so you are biased but damn you are stupid

Wow, just wow...
First of all, if you're going to call someone stupid, you might as well use proper grammar so you don't make a complete dick of yourself. Secondly, you could at least read the friggin post that you pressed "reply" to. He clearly said that he played the very sport you said he so obviously hates. Third, American football does not require endurance (I specify American football because there are non-Americans on this board, not because I'm from outside the center of the universe).

I'm not going to deny that there are people on football teams who have great endurance. Nor am I going to deny the fact that some positions do indeed require at least some endurance. However, the fact remains that most positions do not require endurance. This is especially true for the linemen. Yes that's right, I completely disagree with you there. Tell me have you seen a NFL game from the last 15 years? I have, and let me tell you that about half of those guys are completely out of shape and overweight. Hell, I've seen some of them start panting from the run onto the field. I can understand sweating, I mean they're wearing tons of gear. I fence, I know what it's like to exercise in gear that's completely impermeable (and before you say anything about that, let me just say that most of each uniform is made of kevlar). However, to start panting and needing to take a breather just 3 minutes in, even with TOs and the intervals in between plays definitely does not signify great endurance or conditioning.

#26 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:19 AM

I'm not going to deny that there are people on football teams who have great endurance. Nor am I going to deny the fact that some positions do indeed require at least some endurance. However, the fact remains that most positions do not require endurance. This is especially true for the linemen. Yes that's right, I completely disagree with you there. Tell me have you seen a NFL game from the last 15 years? I have, and let me tell you that about half of those guys are completely out of shape and overweight. Hell, I've seen some of them start panting from the run onto the field. I can understand sweating, I mean they're wearing tons of gear. I fence, I know what it's like to exercise in gear that's completely impermeable (and before you say anything about that, let me just say that most of each uniform is made of kevlar). However, to start panting and needing to take a breather just 3 minutes in, even with TOs and the intervals in between plays definitely does not signify great endurance or conditioning.

Agreed. Hell, I'm a RB and I ADMIT I have sucky endurance, my best freind is a tight end, me and him go running together, and by 5 miles, we're about to freaking lay down on the ground and die. 5 miles to XC runners (most of whom have a 5:40 mile or less) is like a hop and a skip.

#27 thetrekker

thetrekker

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:39 AM

I watch Basketball and Baseball when I have the time, but the sport that is always first and foremost in my mind is Football. I never got into Soccer and Hockey's never on in the south. I'll admit that Soccer is the world's sport, but football is that sport unique to the American (and Canadian in a lesser way) spirit. These men stick their lives on the line whenever they take the field. Whenever I see a bone-jarring hit, I shudder and think of my friend who ruined his athletic career after tearing his ACL badly from a hard hit.

I respect Soccer, Hockey, Baseball, and Basketball, but there is nothing I like better than waking up on a Sunday, seeing my dad grab the Jaguar season tickets that we are proud owners of, putting on my MJD jersey, and driving to the stadium to watch an exciting game.

#28 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

Get this crayon outta my nostril, PLEASE!

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 4,552 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff... And fighting evil.

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

Hey, I like watching American football too (Go Jets!), I just like other sports more.

Of course, by watching the game, I mean I record it on my DVR, then watch it without the ads.

#29 TheJ0ke

TheJ0ke

Nuked the fridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:49 PM

Of course, by watching the game, I mean I record it on my DVR, then watch it without the ads.

MADNESS!!! What is wrong with you man!?!

#30 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

Wow, just wow...
First of all, if you're going to call someone stupid, you might as well use proper grammar so you don't make a complete dick of yourself. Secondly, you could at least read the friggin post that you pressed "reply" to. He clearly said that he played the very sport you said he so obviously hates. Third, American football does not require endurance (I specify American football because there are non-Americans on this board, not because I'm from outside the center of the universe).

good thing you are here to correct grammar mr. teacher obviously you knew what i was saying but you must feel good about yourself correcting people on the internet but play in a professional football game and see if you can last two plays i am 100% sure you wont last 2 plays

#31 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

good thing you are here to correct grammar mr. teacher obviously you knew what i was saying but you must feel good about yourself correcting people on the internet but play in a professional football game and see if you can last two plays i am 100% sure you wont last 2 plays

I dare you to run 20 quarters at 75 pace with 30 second jog rest. I guarantee you that you can't do 2. Like I said before, each sport takes a different type of athleticism and balls. If you remain too ignorant to get around that, than clearly you can't last two plays in football either. Someone must have hit you too hard for your head to take it.

#32 Soberguy

Soberguy

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:26 PM

I would like to think that pretty much ANY professional sport would require far more endurance than any of us could possibly endure. Most people on this board would get winded playing a round of golf. I've pulled a muscle playing ONLINE POKER for christsakes.

I think the point being made is that even though endurance training is important for all sports, it is more important for sports such as soccer when compared to football. Even though many positions in football deal mostly with burst running (though not all - I'm looking at you, wide receivers), they also tend to get pummelled repeatedly by 300 lb behemoths. I'd take an hour of continuous pitch-running over 15 seconds of running followed immediately by collision with an NFL linebacker any day.

#33 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

I dare you to run 20 quarters at 75 pace with 30 second jog rest. I guarantee you that you can't do 2. Like I said before, each sport takes a different type of athleticism and balls. If you remain too ignorant to get around that, than clearly you can't last two plays in football either. Someone must have hit you too hard for your head to take it.

when did I question the endurance of runners???

#34 Canis Minor

Canis Minor

That Guy Nobody Likes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy making a pest of myself. Also cartoons. But mostly the first thing.

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

This argument is a perfect example of why reading too deeply into a topic of this sort ruins it for everybody. Sports don't need their ethics debated. They don't need their logic debated. Sports are an excuse for mankind to go out and do something. An excuse to use every part of your body to achieve a common goal. It's an exercise in both body and mind. And maybe this statement is totally off-topic; I don't know anymore. This is pathetic, people. It doesn't make a single ounce of difference what you prefer watching or what you prefer playing. Football, soccer, track... it doesn't matter! For crying out loud, guys, this topic has become a joke!

Organized physical activity rocks, and it doesn't matter if you hate one kind and love another. End of story.

This has been another off-the-deep-end rant by Canis Minor.

#35 Opalord

Opalord

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:24 PM

Anybody else watching the australian open?

#36 videogameman

videogameman

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Video games, literature, Anime/Manga, Western animation ie. Cartoons, and your momma!

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

FOOLISH FOOLS! There's only one great sport, and that is pro wrestling! I'd like to see you Football players stand up to the Deadman at Wrestlemania! You Soccer players think you can SURVIVE being PUT THROUGH A TABLE!? Wrestling is the Numer 1 sport IN THE WORLD and to prove it, I'll face you all in a Handicap match at WRESTLEMANIA!!!!!!!!!! *SKRONK* OH YEEEAAAAAAH! IF YOU CAN SMELL WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKING! CAUSE STONE COLD SAID SO!

I kid, obviously. But I always have a place in my heart for wrestling. Buy the games every year, read about the going ons. I'll wacth it again sometime. But seeing as I'm a homebody nerd, this'll be my only post. Bye!

#37 TheJ0ke

TheJ0ke

Nuked the fridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

I would like to think that pretty much ANY professional sport would require far more endurance than any of us could possibly endure. Most people on this board would get winded playing a round of golf. I've pulled a muscle playing ONLINE POKER for christsakes.

I think the point being made is that even though endurance training is important for all sports, it is more important for sports such as soccer when compared to football. Even though many positions in football deal mostly with burst running (though not all - I'm looking at you, wide receivers), they also tend to get pummelled repeatedly by 300 lb behemoths. I'd take an hour of continuous pitch-running over 15 seconds of running followed immediately by collision with an NFL linebacker any day.

Eh, endurance... not really so important for saber fencers. That stuffs nearly always over in less than five minutes, including the breaks in between for going back to on guard and waiting for the ref to say what he/she wants.
Now like just about any other sport, there is some specialized muscle training involved in it, but that's not really what I consider endurance training. I just consider that, well specialized muscle training.

Also, how could you possibly pull a muscle playing online poker? Do you have some kind of weird specialized contraption that involves lots of quick movements?

Just to address Hayes (I swear I'll leave it after this):
No it doesn't make me feel good about myself, it just irks me when people call others stupid and can't even be bothered to try and sound educated.

Of course I'd be a crappy football player! I may be in decent shape, but that won't mean beans when a 5'5" guy like me goes up against guys who are a foot taller than me and outweigh me by significantly more than double my weight.

#38 Soberguy

Soberguy

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:20 PM

Also, how could you possibly pull a muscle playing online poker? Do you have some kind of weird specialized contraption that involves lots of quick movements?

Just from sitting for a long time in an awkward position. Keep in mind that I am old.

Made the final table though!

#39 TheJ0ke

TheJ0ke

Nuked the fridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

Just from sitting for a long time in an awkward position. Keep in mind that I am old.

Heh, silly old people.

#40 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:56 PM

Dedication at its finest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users