104 replies to this topic

#1 comic_book_fan

comic_book_fan

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:06 AM

Bah. Football will never have my respect until the Superbowl skips all the commercials. I don't care if they're funny, and I realize the players need a break, but what kind of sport stops every few seconds?

Note: Now that I've ranted, I shall command you to go out and play soccer. The head injuries are harder to get, and there's only one commercial break. Yes, I realize it's cheerleader-less, but women can actually play the game. Plus, it's a lot more fun when your big tournament involves "The World" as opposed to just having several cities battle it out (Soccer has that too). Not only that, but you only need a soccer ball and some sort of field to play, as opposed to football, where you need tons of equipment (for the guys) and a killer body (if you plan to play cheerleading). Etc etc.

*Goes on for days*

not really i have played football plenty of times without pads all you need is a field and a ball.
and to me football is way more fun to watch. but i am a basketball person.

#2 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

Bah. Football will never have my respect until the Superbowl skips all the commercials. I don't care if they're funny, and I realize the players need a break, but what kind of sport stops every few seconds?

Note: Now that I've ranted, I shall command you to go out and play soccer. The head injuries are harder to get, and there's only one commercial break. Yes, I realize it's cheerleader-less, but women can actually play the game. Plus, it's a lot more fun when your big tournament involves "The World" as opposed to just having several cities battle it out (Soccer has that too). Not only that, but you only need a soccer ball and some sort of field to play, as opposed to football, where you need tons of equipment (for the guys) and a killer body (if you plan to play cheerleading). Etc etc.

*Goes on for days*

try playing football in the NFL its a brutal sport the average career is 4 years, half these guys that play for a while wont be walkin at 60, the sport is filled with 300 lb ppl who can run fast and hit hard, so yes they do deserve a break, but when it goes to commercial something happened like an injury, transition of possession, not to give them a break

#3 Red Blue Blur

Red Blue Blur

SPOOOON!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Football College and Pro, Video games, drawing, reading comics, and horror/action novels

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

not really i have played football plenty of times without pads all you need is a field and a ball.
and to me football is way more fun to watch. but i am a basketball person.

No in order to play REAL football you need pads, you use actual plays, you use blockers, kickers, etc. Football is so much more than what youkids play in the back yard.

Again no sport takes the planning and team work like football

#4 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

Amen to that... Kids' Footballs are a horror. Play without pads and EVERYONE on the opposing going after the ball carrier, and someone's bound to be injured. I've sprained a knee, an ankle, and pulled a few muscles due to this in one game...

#5 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:51 PM

If this is about sports, then XC and Track distance running owns them all. How many other sports has humanity evolved to perform? Answer: none.

#6 Red Blue Blur

Red Blue Blur

SPOOOON!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Football College and Pro, Video games, drawing, reading comics, and horror/action novels

Posted 19 January 2011 - 01:58 PM

If this is about sports, then XC and Track distance running owns them all. How many other sports has humanity evolved to perform? Answer: none.

other than the fact that it would be one of the most boring things to watch. A guy just jogging along the road wearing a number. How Exciting!!!

#7 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

other than the fact that it would be one of the most boring things to watch. A guy just jogging along the road wearing a number. How Exciting!!!

Jogging? I would hardly call it jogging. Jogging is for people hoping to become fit. We don't "jog". We run. It's not interesting to watch because you don't understand it. Football isn't very entertaining to watch if the person doesn't understand it as well. Not only that, but I said XC and Track, neither of which involve a road. Generally. Maybe an XC course will have someone cross a street, maybe not. Track most certainly does not.

#8 comic_book_fan

comic_book_fan

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:22 PM

No in order to play REAL football you need pads, you use actual plays, you use blockers, kickers, etc. Football is so much more than what youkids play in the back yard.

my point is that there are plenty of sports that you can play that are better then soccer kick ball is more fun
basketball hockey. but whatever you want

#9 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:09 PM

I would have more respect for football players if they didn;t take a break after every 25 seconds of play.

#10 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

Football is like Wizard's Chess. People on the side planning stuff out and watching people get smashed while enacting the plans. Real men play Rugby or Australian Football.

#11 Red Blue Blur

Red Blue Blur

SPOOOON!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

my point is that there are plenty of sports that you can play that are better then soccer kick ball is more fun
basketball hockey. but whatever you want

Im not talking about soccer. Im talking NCAA or NFL football

#12 comic_book_fan

comic_book_fan

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

Im not talking about soccer. Im talking NCAA or NFL football

yeah but marvel man was and i was original arguing against soccer.

#13 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

Regardless of what any of you say or think, soccer is and always will be the world's sport.

#14 Red Blue Blur

Red Blue Blur

SPOOOON!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

Regardless of what any of you say or think, soccer is and always will be the world's sport.

Thats only beacause Soccer is the only major sport that other countries can really compete with America in. By major sport I mean Football, Baseball, Soccer, Basketball, and Hockey.

#15 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

Thats only beacause Soccer is the only major sport that other countries can really compete with America in. By major sport I mean Football, Baseball, Soccer, Basketball, and Hockey.

American Football is basically only played in America, it's not particularly popular on a worldwide scale.

Baseball: America has only won the last 2 times in the Baseball World Cup, before those two times, Cuba won 6 times in a row. before the world cup in 2007, the last time America won it, was in 1974.

Basketball: America won the world Championship in 2010, but before that, the last time they won was in 1994, Yugoslavia won in 1998 and 2002, and Spain won it in 2006.

Hockey: America won the Bronze medal(in the World championship) in 2004, but they haven't even gotten a Medal since then.

the baseball thing in particular is a bit pathetic. it's supposed to be their national sport, and they lost the world cup 10 times in a row.

[sarcasm]yea, i'm really seeing how other countries can't compete with the US in major sports [/sarcasm]

#16 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:14 PM

This does nothing but show how ignorant you are. Rugby and Cricket are bigger international sports than American football and baseball. Probably hockey too. Also, US regularly gets beat down in hockey by European countries and Canada. Look at everything sirmethos says and get owned. Not only that, but other countries don't think "Oh, we can beat America in soccer, let's make that the biggest sport in the world." Sorry to break your egocentric view of sports. Soccer is the biggest sport because it's been around the longest and it's non-stop action. They are always moving. No breaks, nothing. You just run around and kick the ball. Simplicity is perfection and soccer is very simple. Heck, it's quite possible that Australian football is bigger internationally. Kids in Ireland watch that, but I can promise you they don't watch American football.

#17 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

Get this crayon outta my nostril, PLEASE!

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 4,552 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff... And fighting evil.

Posted 20 January 2011 - 09:07 PM

I agree with Methos and Surfer.

If anything, it's not that the world is out to beat the USA at a soccer, cause the USA is so good at everything else. It's more like the USA doesn't like soccer since they get beat by it like red headed step children at it.

Note: Having said that, as a soccer fan I must disagree with myself. Despite not calling it the right name, soccer in the USA is actually a huge sport (at least for kids). The national team is far from a World Cup, but they aren't a bad team. They simply lose against nations with a huge soccer background (which the USA will never have until its' pop culture and celebrities stop making fun of soccer...) Also, they have a good shot of winning the American Cup this year. The only need to avoid Argentina and Brazil (Once again, both nations have huge soccer legacies).

Also, my position on the NFL remains (lose the commercials. Or, at least, make all of them funny, not just the Super Bowl ones). As for the NCAA, I won't respect it until they fix the whole system. The BCS bowl names could also change to something respectable (the National Bowl game was the Tostitos Bowl? What? Why Tostitos! That's not even Doritos, or Lays, etc...)

MARVENOTE: XC is for men. As a soccer player who typically ran with XC runners, those guys are insane. If they didn't shave their legs, I would so have joined.

#18 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:36 PM

MARVENOTE: XC is for men. As a soccer player who typically ran with XC runners, those guys are insane. If they didn't shave their legs, I would so have joined.

I only know one runner who shaves his legs. However, I shaved my arms and legs and entire rest of my body for swimming (as most HS team traditions dictate to do). Jumping, freshly shaved, into a pool is like sex. It's amazing.

#19 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

I would have more respect for football players if they didn;t take a break after every 25 seconds of play.

You are just and idiot, if you understood the work involved in football you wouldnt have posted that

#20 corvette1710

corvette1710

The Bastard Child of Sarcasm and Hypocrisy

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,202 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. Durr.

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:31 PM

Okay um... Have you ever in your life played a real game of football? Equal to 60 minutes of hard playing? YOU WOULD NEED A BREAK EVERY 25 SECONDS. WHAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND ABOUT THAT? If you had to wear forty lbs of pads and run as fast as you can the whole hundred yards, you would need the break. You would HATE the coach for making you push yourself. I've seen track runners join football and get CREAMED, by the way. RUNRUNRUNRUN WHAM! He's on the ground crying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users