76 replies to this topic

#1 Tsemasi

Tsemasi

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

Just discovered I missed out on the Final Battle in the beta that involved the option of taking on Jim Lee as Future Batman, Greg Miller or Nick Kolan. Sucks I missed it, been leveling my villain like mad just for that event and I missed the 24 hour notice it was going down... yesterday. Not entirely bummed out or feeling a loss at not being involved as this means on the 11th the game is going live, with that in consideration any Electric Ferret members have DCUO the PC version? I say we form a league. :D

#2 TheJ0ke

TheJ0ke

Nuked the fridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 01:51 AM

Heh, well if you'll take the time to shift through the bowels of the VG thread, you'll see that Sober and I were discussing what we thought about the beta.

Also, I'm sad that the beta is ending. This means I won't be able to play it anymore since I can't exactly pay $15 a month for it considering that my monthly allowance usually totals somewhere around $20.

#3 Soberguy

Soberguy

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:29 AM

I can pay the $15/mth, but haven't decided if I'm going to. I only got one hero up to level 30, then immediately became confused as to what I had to do at that point. Mostly, this is due to my own laziness about researching these kinds of things and my anti-social aversion to groups/guilds/co-op/pvp when it comes to MMORPGs. Like WoW, you reach a point where you just can't solo everything anymore, and the long grind to better gear begins.

Still, I had enough fun with it to maybe try to live version for awhile and see if it maintains my interest. If any of you guys are planning on doing the same, let me know and we'll co-ordinate a supergroup of some sort. I really do think they've gone out of there way to create something new and interesting here, so despite my personal curmudgeony reluctance, I think probably 95% of the people here would instantly LOVE this game.

And TheJ0ke... GET A JOB. The internet commands it.

#4 M Bison

M Bison

Cool dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:36 AM

What's the gameplay like? Importantly, does it FEEL like you're playing a superhero? And if anyone's played it on PS3, what's it like there?

#5 Soberguy

Soberguy

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:12 AM

I can't speak for the PS3 version as I've only played it on PC, but it feels quite... er.. superhero-y.

Things specifically that lead me to that assertion:

1) User controlled attacks, combos and blocks make combat a lot more interesting and personalized. There is something very visceral to the button mashing that I thought I'd hate but actually love.

2) Mobs are numerous and varied enough to give you lots of guys to pummel. Nothing feels more superheroic then punching the bejeebus out of a room full of lackeys. There is also a surprising amount of variety, so you don't see much repetition (I'm looking at YOU WoW... stop just recolouring old templates).

3) Physics are fun. Blasting someone off a cliff or slamming them into a wall is both satisfying and superheroic. I can't believe we ever played games where guys just fell down where they stood or faded away. Add to this the numerous objects to be tossed about, knocked over, busted open or slammed into and it makes the battles really vibrant. Smashing someone over the head with a tractor is as superheroic as it gets.

4) The story is excellent. They give you an entirely plausible reason for existing, and the build-up from rookie to pro super-dude is believable. The quests are generally very well-written and they try to mix thing up as much as they are able. Each quest chain almost feels like a little mini-comic book, particularly the boss fights. Quests are easy to find and easy to follow as well.

5) Right from the start and all the way through, you are interacting with real DC canon characters. They guide you, give you information, fight alongside you and occassionally kick your butt. The characterizations are pretty solid.

6) Movement powers are fun. A little twitchy sometimes, but overall pretty well done. I hope they add more though.

7) Costume choices are decent. Not as good as City of Heroes, but because DCUO has actual loot, it gives you incentive to go after certain items just to get the costume option. Also, you can keep the stats of a new item while retaining the look of a previous item. I cannot tell you how awesome this fairly simple idea is. It really allows you to make your character look and feel the way you want them to without having to make hard choices re: stat bonuses.

8) The environment is expansive, authentic and fairly mind-blowing. They've really made a very immersive world. Gotham looks very different to Metropolis. Joker's Lair looks very different to Mr. Freeze's. Justice League satellite looks very different from the Hall of Doom. All very well done.

There's more, but suffice to say geeks won't be disappointed. I didn't do much PvP, but the co-op instances were actually pretty cool. That should have been #9. Oh well. They are good, trust me.

#6 M Bison

M Bison

Cool dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

Ah, lovely. I've never been interested in MMO's before - seeing my friends play WoW (and, worse, hearing them talk about it constantly, especially after the recent expansion) made the genre look lame, especially as they keep telling me that’s the best one. However, this sounds really cool. I might have to buy it.

#7 Soberguy

Soberguy

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:33 AM

Ah, lovely. I've never been interested in MMO's before - seeing my friends play WoW (and, worse, hearing them talk about it constantly, especially after the recent expansion) made the genre look lame, especially as they keep telling me that’s the best one. However, this sounds really cool. I might have to buy it.

If you haven't been keen on traditional MMORPGs, this might be a good option. It has all the elements of a standard MMORPG, but has enough of a button-masher feel to keep the interest of more traditional console gamers. It's probably more analagous to Fable, in some ways.

#8 M Bison

M Bison

Cool dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 10:41 AM

Great. I'll definitely look into it then, I'm a huge fan of games that let me do the whole smacking villains around, tossing cars and generally being super kind of thing.

#9 TheJ0ke

TheJ0ke

Nuked the fridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:30 AM

And TheJ0ke... GET A JOB. The internet commands it.

Bah! As much as I would love to (and I really would, I hate having to wait months to buy anything), 1. I'm currently underage, 2. I don't have time during the school year to work a job and maintain my grades along with my extracurriculars, 3. I can't even get one over the summer when I am 16 as I'll be at a boot camp at an aquarium for two weeks and spending the rest of the summer as a volunteer.

#10 Soberguy

Soberguy

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:30 PM

Bah! As much as I would love to (and I really would, I hate having to wait months to buy anything), 1. I'm currently underage, 2. I don't have time during the school year to work a job and maintain my grades along with my extracurriculars, 3. I can't even get one over the summer when I am 16 as I'll be at a boot camp at an aquarium for two weeks and spending the rest of the summer as a volunteer.

1) Underaged? I've worked since I was 14 in some capacity or another, and that's not even counting junk mail delivery starting at 11. Kids today! What with your transistor radios and rocking roller music! In my day, we got out and WORKED for our money! DAMNED HIPPIES!

2) What on earth does an aquarium boot camp entail? Wait - I'm not sure I want to know now. It's not like some twisted Troy Maclure thing, is it?

3) Volunteering is for communists, layabouts and communist layabouts. What's more important - video games or helping your fellow man?

#11 Soberguy

Soberguy

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

Fun Fact:

For those of you who find you are short of cash but can't or don't want to find an actual job, there is a lucrative world out there right at your fingertips! Make hundreds, even thousands of dollars a month from the comfort of your own home! All you need is a computer, internet access, a PayPal account and the willingness to lie to people on eBay and commit mail fraud!

For more information, please contact my ex-wife!

#12 ND7

ND7

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

Is thier a demo, I can download, and then if so, how long does it last, because I got $324 dollars for Christmas money, and I was going to buy some Sam and Max games, but really would somebody pick a click and point game, over this game?

#13 TheJ0ke

TheJ0ke

Nuked the fridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:04 PM

1) Underaged? I've worked since I was 14 in some capacity or another, and that's not even counting junk mail delivery starting at 11. Kids today! What with your transistor radios and rocking roller music! In my day, we got out and WORKED for our money! DAMNED HIPPIES!

2) What on earth does an aquarium boot camp entail? Wait - I'm not sure I want to know now. It's not like some twisted Troy Maclure thing, is it?

3) Volunteering is for communists, layabouts and communist layabouts. What's more important - video games or helping your fellow man?

1. ... stupid Kanadians (yes, I spelled it with a "k" just like Walt Whitman).

2. Uh well, it's basically 2 weeks of learning just about every single fact they can possibly cram into our heads. Whether it be how many gallons of water the Giant Kelp Forrest exhibit holds, identifying any fish they have on display at a glance, the life cycle and migratory patterns of whales and sharks, or any other questions I could possibly be asked by a visitor. This is the volunteer work that I'll be doing right after the training and will entail me monitoring the exhibits and answering any questions people have and/or leading tours.

3. TBH, neither is important. IT'S ALL ABOUT HELPING THE FISHAYS BABY!!! :P Naw, I'm doing this because I find it interesting and it'll look good on my college applications if I attended a camp at the West Coast's leading aquarium and then put in dozens of hours of community service.

Also, heh @ Sober's con plan. I don't think I'll be doing that though. If I ever feel like being arrested by the FBI, I think I'd like it to be for something better than pulling some scam on Ebay. Some examples: Hacking some government server just for teh lulz. Some insanely BA crime involving theft of top secret government secrets or weapons and lots and lots of explosions. Oh er wait, on second thought that last one might just get me killed by some shady secret government agency that makes the CIA look like a bunch of cute little kittens rolling on their backs to play with a ball of yarn.

#14 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 07 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

Is thier a demo, I can download, and then if so, how long does it last, because I got $324 dollars for Christmas money, and I was going to buy some Sam and Max games, but really would somebody pick a click and point game, over this game?

Well, if you want an awesome click-and-point game, then I would recommend Fallout.
It's the best open world game of the 90's, IMO.

#15 Soberguy

Soberguy

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:23 AM

So I bought the full version last night and got it up and running. Haven't gotten too deeply into it, but was pleasantly surprised by a few little extras they've tossed into the finished product. The UI is far less awful. You can lock and unlock costume styles. You can change your colour palette on the fly. A new cutscene helps explain the tutorial level. Proper voice acting and everyone. All good stuff.

Will keep you advised, and I'll try to get some screenshots / videos.

Anyone else on board yet?

#16 Tsemasi

Tsemasi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:25 AM

Still waiting for the full game to arrive in the mail then will be on there with you. If I knew this was gonna be a hassle like this I woulda just picked it up from Gamestop.

#17 Jason Redfield

Jason Redfield

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:10 AM

My brother keeps trying to convince me this game is going to suck, but I'm hopeful. No way I'll be able to afford it, but I'm definitely signing up for the trial when the time comes.

#18 Soberguy

Soberguy

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:12 AM

I've been reading a few of the negative reviews and have been somewhat boggled by them. Most seem to to harp on two things: connection/lag issues and lack of content.

As for connection/lag issues, I haven't experienced any. Even in Beta, I can count on one hand the number of times I got disconnected and there has never been any lag. Like - AT ALL. Obviously, if you have poor internet service or a crappy computer, these might be issues, but it's not the game's fault.

As for lack of content, I would point out that the game has plenty. They've bent over backwards to give players variety and quantity of game challenges. Is it more than WoW? No. Give DCUO six years and 12 million subscribers and they will catch up. I would bet $100 that if any of these guys went back and played the ORIGINAL release of WoW they'd be making the exact same complaints. Also, just because you've gamed so long you can power-level your character from 1-30 in a weekend surviving only on Cheetos, Dr. Pepper and 2 hours sleep doesn't mean there isn't enough content - it just means you need to stop and savour it a bit.

My only complaints right now are threefold:

1) It's too easy to level to 30. Honestly, it doesn't take long - especially if you are the "Play for 7 hours straight" type. I think the pace of advancement is fine, but they need a higher level cap! That will come with expanded content, which I assume will come within the first year.

2) More power sets needed! Yes the separate weapon powers are nice, but this is a superhero MMO - we need more power sets. Electricity. Super Strength. Anything. Again, I would think we will have at least two new sets within the first year.

3) More costume/body options. More costume sets should be easy enough to fix and will come with other expanded content. Right now you are limited to three body types per set and few alternates re: faces. These might be tricker to expans, but I hope they are working on it.

#19 Jason Redfield

Jason Redfield

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:36 AM

Thanks for keeping us updated, Sober. I'm quite interested in the game. Can't wait to try it out, particularly since I'm lacking in an MMO after having left WoW.

#20 Tsemasi

Tsemasi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

Alright, shes up and running. Anyone got a server they're congregating on and a league name idea? Oh yeah, good or bad?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users