105 replies to this topic

#21 Stranglehold-prime

Stranglehold-prime

I am One with the Ferret.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:48 PM

Congratulations, you speak a pilloried Creole vernacular that scarcely has a coherent set of codified rules.

I know the rules.

Also I would like to state that creole comes from French and French is infact latin language.

#22 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:07 PM

that pretty much goes both ways.

yes, people don't seem to understand what Ivan is saying, but then again, Ivan doesn't seem to grasp the concept of what the others are talking about either.

perhaps ppl enjoy the reaction of feeding ppls egos who have a superiority complex bcuz they dont realize they are being played for someone elses entertainment? just a thought

#23 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:08 PM

also my bad for postin a what if battle under gen discussion i didnt realize there was a section for tht, i need to read better i guess

#24 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:09 PM

Creole is to French as Ebonics is to English. A French speaker would not be able to understand you. Heck, someone who speaks Cajun Creole or Jamaican Creole wouldn't be able to understand you! Your language comes from French, but it is its own unique language. Verb conjugation was just one example of the vast differences. Also if French is Latin then by logical extension I speak German. Heh. Which I don't.

#25 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:11 PM

Hayesmeister, this statement: "perhaps ppl enjoy the reaction of feeding ppls egos who have a superiority complex bcuz they dont realize they are being played for someone elses entertainment? just a thought" while being a horrifying example of an attempt at English, is also an admission to trolling. Your posting privileges have been set to Moderator Preview for one week.

#26 Stranglehold-prime

Stranglehold-prime

• Members
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:45 PM

Creole is to French as Ebonics is to English. A French speaker would not be able to understand you. Heck, someone who speaks Cajun Creole or Jamaican Creole wouldn't be able to understand you! Your language comes from French, but it is its own unique language. Verb conjugation was just one example of the vast differences. Also if French is Latin then by logical extension I speak German. Heh. Which I don't.

Actually you are right and wrong.

A French speaker wouldn't understand my writing, but he would understand most words that I say if I were to speak Creole, because the words sound similar.

My French teacher said so her self, she can understand most words that come out of my mouth, but she wouldn't understand the writing. You also have noyt forget the accents which are similar in some ways, not saying all of it.

I do not know about Jamaican creole since I haven't visited the islands in so long and the majority of Jamaicans in America speak either English or Jamaican Patois(also known as Patwa). The only time I heard Jamaican creole is when I visited the islands. So I do not know much about the language.

As for Cajun creole, yes they would understand some words, but maybe not the writings.

Also, if I am correct, are you saying that French is not a Latin language?

#27 TheJ0ke

TheJ0ke

Nuked the fridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:52 PM

Hayesmeister, this statement: "perhaps ppl enjoy the reaction of feeding ppls egos who have a superiority complex bcuz they dont realize they are being played for someone elses entertainment? just a thought" while being a horrifying example of an attempt at English, is also an admission to trolling. Your posting privileges have been set to Moderator Preview for one week.

Oooh *flinches* and Ivan strikes again with the Admin Hammer.

Also Strangle, Ivan was saying that French itself is not Latin. He wasn't saying that the two languages were unrelated. I'm pretty sure he knew what you meant, but decided to make a mockery of your grammar anyway.

#28 Stranglehold-prime

Stranglehold-prime

• Members
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:57 PM

Oooh *flinches* and Ivan strikes again with the Admin Hammer.

Also Strangle, Ivan was saying that French itself is not Latin. He wasn't saying that the two languages were unrelated. I'm pretty sure he knew what you meant, but decided to make a mockery of your grammar anyway.

What I meant to say was that French comes from the Latin language family, like Spanish and Portuguese.

#29 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2011 - 11:43 PM

Yes you are correct in saying that. I meant that just because you might know French, doesn't guarantee you know any Latin. That's all.

I have never heard any Creole spoken except Cajun, but to really understand that language without knowing it I think you would need to speak both French and English. There are certain things that are ornamental, like adding "n'est-ce pas" to questions, that are really style choices that have been built into structure through repeated use.

By the way, Stranglehold, did you create the character Entelijan? You used the word earlier so I was just wondering.

#30 Omega11

Omega11

Evil Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

The point of calling something "canon" is so you can argue about pointless minutiae. As far as I'm concerned, anybody who does that is not a fan; they're an ass.

I like how you pretend that this site is not for debating Comic Book Universe Battles.

#31 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

PIS was invented by whiny fanboys who were getting their asses kicked in debates. If it happened in a comic in the mainstream universe then it counts.

#32 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

PIS was invented by whiny fanboys who were getting their asses kicked in debates. If it happened in a comic in the mainstream universe then it counts.

No, its used to explain how several events that people would call PIS occurred despite the fact that they shouldn't have occurred. An example would be Firelord against Spiderman.

#33 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:06 PM

No, its used to explain how several events that people would call PIS occurred despite the fact that they shouldn't have occurred. An example would be Firelord against Spiderman.

But, you see, at the end of the day it really doesn't matter if fans judge the events as stupid.
It happened, so it counts.

#34 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

But, you see, at the end of the day it really doesn't matter if fans judge the events as stupid.

thats the point i was making

#35 Red Blue Blur

Red Blue Blur

SPOOOON!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Football College and Pro, Video games, drawing, reading comics, and horror/action novels

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

agreed. Whetherthe feat is stupid or not the fact that it happened makes it a debatable point. Just because you dont like it would be like saying because you dont like that wolverine has a healing factor it doesnt matter.

#36 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

Yeah, but I was only explaining why the term PIS is used. I wasn't denying the feats.

#37 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:43 PM

@Omega11- debating about feats and powers is the complete wrong way to discuss Comic Book Universe Battles. Using scans and arguing continuity points completely ruins any semblance of enjoyment these characters might have once provided, it becomes about being "right" rather than being a fan. I have been an administrator of this website since before you were in high school, and only recently has it perverted into this competition of vapid one-upsmanship where a character's statistics card is more valuable than the actual source material, and everyone is half-informed because you all get your information from wikipedia anyway. For all the flak the Predator matches get, at least some of the CBUB members are honest to goodness fans who would gladly wait in line for the midnight showing of a new Predator film, even if the reviews are terrible. With comics you don't get that, you get people arguing about Magneto when they couldn't tell you the difference between Eric, Xorn, and Joseph. Compound that with the fact that mainstream comics has been home to some really embarrassingly awful storylines in the past ten years, and you end up with someone in a Captain America argument citing a Rob Liefeld moment to "prove" how "right" they are. That is NOT being a fan, and that is NOT the "point" of this website. My biggest wish for CBUB is that instead of a message board, every user would get One Single Comment on each fight, one chance to state your case, and none of those comments were visible to other users until after the match was over. That one small change would go a long way in fixing the CBUB, in my opinion.

#38 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 05 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

Ivan you nailed it on the head, I think everyone should get one post per battle.

Sorry as far as canon thats something that fans hate because they want there own
opinion to be fact.

No matter how much you complain DC and Marvel state what is canon to there Universe.

The same goes for George Lucas and Star Wars.

Thats the problem I have with CBUB.

For example Star Wars fans don't accept the fact George Lucas has openly said in many interviews that the extended universe is not canon to his movies.

Neither are the Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic games.

#39 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:15 PM

Yeah Star Wars is super tricky, because of the "Expanded Universe" not being canon, but if you have Starkiller in the database and put him in a fight, you have to have something to talk about!

#40 Red Blue Blur

Red Blue Blur

SPOOOON!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Football College and Pro, Video games, drawing, reading comics, and horror/action novels

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:45 PM

@Omega11- debating about feats and powers is the complete wrong way to discuss Comic Book Universe Battles. Using scans and arguing continuity points completely ruins any semblance of enjoyment these characters might have once provided, it becomes about being "right" rather than being a fan. I have been an administrator of this website since before you were in high school, and only recently has it perverted into this competition of vapid one-upsmanship where a character's statistics card is more valuable than the actual source material, and everyone is half-informed because you all get your information from wikipedia anyway. For all the flak the Predator matches get, at least some of the CBUB members are honest to goodness fans who would gladly wait in line for the midnight showing of a new Predator film, even if the reviews are terrible. With comics you don't get that, you get people arguing about Magneto when they couldn't tell you the difference between Eric, Xorn, and Joseph. Compound that with the fact that mainstream comics has been home to some really embarrassingly awful storylines in the past ten years, and you end up with someone in a Captain America argument citing a Rob Liefeld moment to "prove" how "right" they are. That is NOT being a fan, and that is NOT the "point" of this website. My biggest wish for CBUB is that instead of a message board, every user would get One Single Comment on each fight, one chance to state your case, and none of those comments were visible to other users until after the match was over. That one small change would go a long way in fixing the CBUB, in my opinion.

Debating is what makes the website fun. Its more interesting to make a great story and let people debate and think outside the box on how their character would win. These people are fans of the characters they comment on or else they wouldnt be trying to convince the others why they think there character should win. Taking away the ability to make multiple comments would run this site into the ground. What needs to happen is the writers make decent and even matches and people who comment need to state facts and reasons without calling people fanboys or pretending to be smarter than the other just because they think they know everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users